Posted to alt.home.repair

Default caulk underneath baseboard, is it good idea?

wrote:
On Jun 15, 10:54 am, Norminn wrote:
On 6/14/2013 8:04 PM, leza wang wrote:

Hi All

Thanks for all your help, I am installing Allure Traffic master
vinyl. The baseboard is a bit high and leave a space between the
group and baseboard. I took the baseboard out (you can see the
second picture) and i can easily caulk the end). I am not sure if
that is good idea or not? what do you think please?

Thanks a lot
Ps: the first picture shows the space between the floor and the
baseboard and the second pictures shows the floor after removing
the baseboard.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=91cjd4&s=5

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=apbgid&s=5

I like caulk along baseboard for two reasons: hides the gap and
prevents spills or pipe leaks from damaging innards of the wall or
peeling paint from baseboard. I would use either paintable caulk(and
paint to match the baseboard) or a colored caulk color of flooring.
If the gap is EVEN along the wall, then painting the color of bb
won't make a wavy line. If UNEVEN, then the gap will match flooring
closely and follow straight line along bottom of baseboard.

My parents' new home had clear silicone along all of the baseboards,
but it was shiny so it "showed" along tile floors. If caulking along
tile, I used masking tape to keep caulk from oozing into the grout
lines. We has a hose burst in laundry room (first floor, slab),
which fortunately happened while we were at home....caulking kept
water from flowing under walls into our carpeted bedrooms. I like
caulking along kit. and bath cabinet bases and inside sink
cabinets...bound to be leaks someday and might prevent damage to
particle board cabinets, which are pretty ruined if the get wet.

1 - Did you look at the pic that shows the size of the gap between
the
baseboard and the floor? It's huge.

I agree that the size of the gap shown in the first photo (
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=91cjd4&s=5 ) is large, although it is less
on the left side of the photo where the new flooring is already installed.

The second photo (

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=apbgid&s=5 ) shows that the OP ahas already
removed the baseboard, so I guess the amount of the original gap at this
point may no longer matter -- unless, of course, she tries to replace the
old trim where it was so she doesn't have to fix the paint job on the wall.
But, that seems like a bad plan anyway. One option would have been to leave
the original baseboard in place, put down the new flooring so it went under
the baseboard, and then add shoe molding or quarter-round to the bottom of
the original baseboard.

In looking at the second photo, and the differences in the color of the wall
paint where the baseboard has been removed, I wonder what happened in the
past to create such a large gap under the baseboard that was there. Maybe
one possibility is that there used to be 3/4-inch hardwood or something of
similar thickness in the room. And, maybe someone removed the 3/4-inch
flooring (maybe due to cat urine issues or just a damaged original floor) --
without removing the original baseboard -- and then put down the thinner
laminate flooring that she is now covering up. If that happened in the
past, maybe that would explain the gap and why the wall colors are different
where the old baseboard was.

Also, if that is what happened in the past, the doors etc. are probably
already high enough so that installing the new flooring that the OP is now
doing will not require trimming the existing doors due to the added height
of the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 11:49*am, "TomR" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

of the floor.- Hide quoted text -

As I posted earlier, the gap could also have been from carpeting that
was removed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 15, 11:49 am, "TomR" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

True, and probably a more likely scenario than the one I described.