Posted to alt.home.repair

Default caulk underneath baseboard, is it good idea?

On Jun 15, 10:54*am, Norminn wrote:
On 6/14/2013 8:04 PM, leza wang wrote:

Hi All

Thanks for all your help, I am installing Allure Traffic master vinyl. The baseboard is a bit high and leave a space between the group and baseboard. I took the baseboard out (you can see the second picture) and i can easily caulk the end). I am not sure if that is good idea or not? what do you think please?

Thanks a lot
Ps: the first picture shows the space between the floor and the baseboard and the second pictures shows the floor after removing the baseboard.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=91cjd4&s=5

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=apbgid&s=5

I like caulk along baseboard for two reasons: hides the gap and prevents
spills or pipe leaks from damaging innards of the wall or peeling paint
from baseboard. *I would use either paintable caulk(and paint to match
the baseboard) or a colored caulk color of flooring. *If the gap is EVEN
along the wall, then painting the color of bb won't make a wavy line.
If UNEVEN, then the gap will match flooring closely and follow straight
line along bottom of baseboard.

My parents' new home had clear silicone along all of the baseboards, but
it was shiny so it "showed" along tile floors. *If caulking along tile,
I used masking tape to keep caulk from oozing into the grout lines. *We
has a hose burst in laundry room (first floor, slab), which fortunately
happened while we were at home....caulking kept water from flowing under
walls into our carpeted bedrooms. *I like caulking along kit. and bath
cabinet bases and inside sink cabinets...bound to be leaks someday and
might prevent damage to particle board cabinets, which are pretty ruined
if the get wet.

1 - Did you look at the pic that shows the size of the gap between
the
baseboard and the floor? It's huge.

2 - Do you realize the flooring product she used floats, it will
expand/contract
and it's almost certainly not supposed to be fastened to anything?

Water Heater Flushing: Good idea or bad idea? VQ Home Repair 16 November 20th 17 04:14 AM
caulk underneath baseboard, is it good idea? leza wang Home Repair 15 June 16th 13 02:43 PM
Caulk Underneath Shower Frame? Edge[_2_] Home Repair 1 April 1st 11 02:17 PM
Good Idea - Bad Idea Carl Metalworking 0 December 16th 08 04:56 PM
Need a good caulk for saw cut slab MaxAZ Home Repair 5 September 30th 05 07:33 PM