Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

Default riding mower again

Seems that the valve adjustment I did on my mower worked but now the
mower wont stay running...starts up fine but after a few minutes it
sputters and quits.
I noticed the governor going back and forth when it started to sputter,
what could it be?
Thanks again CJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:41:08 -0400, cj wrote:

Seems that the valve adjustment I did on my mower worked but now the
mower wont stay running...starts up fine but after a few minutes it
sputters and quits.
I noticed the governor going back and forth when it started to sputter,
what could it be?
Thanks again CJ

I'd pull the air filter off and run the mower without it (air
starvation). Does it run? Also inspect the butterfly in the carb
throat to ensure it operates easily. Perhaps, spray the carb inside
with carb cleaner.

A clogged fuel filter? (fuel starvation)

Clean and reset the spark plug gap to specs or a little less.
Posted to alt.home.repair
cj cj is offline

On 6/14/2013 12:57 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 12:41:08 -0400, cj wrote:

Seems that the valve adjustment I did on my mower worked but now the
mower wont stay running...starts up fine but after a few minutes it
sputters and quits.
I noticed the governor going back and forth when it started to sputter,
what could it be?
Thanks again CJ

I'd pull the air filter off and run the mower without it (air
starvation). Does it run? Also inspect the butterfly in the carb
throat to ensure it operates easily. Perhaps, spray the carb inside
with carb cleaner.

A clogged fuel filter? (fuel starvation)

Clean and reset the spark plug gap to specs or a little less.

I just pulled the carb and float bulb, looked squeaky clean to me ,
sprayed it clean inside and out... when i spray starter fluid in the
intake it will run for a few seconds and quit...I'm about ready to run
down the road screaming. Also there are two wires connected to the
bottom of the float bowl, one is a ground and the other connects to a
harness in the dash, anybody know what they might be for?

Thanks, CJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:42:06 -0400, cj wrote:

when i spray starter fluid in the
intake it will run for a few seconds and quit.

Inside the throat (intake) a tiny venturi can be clogged. The engine
cannot run correctly, unless air and fuel mixture is right.

The venturi is / may be the size of a single wire plucked from a wire
brush.

USE only a stainless steel wire. DO NOT break the wire when you clean
the venturi. I use needle-nosed pliers to hold the wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 14, 2013 12:41:08 PM UTC-4, cj wrote:
Seems that the valve adjustment I did on my mower worked but now the

mower wont stay running...starts up fine but after a few minutes it

sputters and quits.

I noticed the governor going back and forth when it started to sputter,

what could it be?

Thanks again CJ

Thank you for sharing.

Jenny
Student at Olivet College of Design

http://ocad.olivetuniversity.edu

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's the diagnostic for "not getting fuel".

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

riding mower cj Home Repair 22 June 12th 13 05:08 AM
New riding mower and questions Cheryl[_2_] Home Repair 19 May 29th 11 05:44 AM
Riding mower wont go Herb Eneva Home Repair 3 June 1st 09 02:16 AM
Ran oil out on riding mower - mar10 Home Repair 23 July 27th 06 02:39 AM
Riding mower won't start Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com Home Repair 4 April 17th 06 01:51 PM