Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom faucet handles loose

New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message

New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white
porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name!
Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so
they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

I would use clear silicone. That would keep the screw tight BUT it could
also be removed if needed. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry to hear. Quality of manufacturing is suffering.

Downside of gluing the handles on, is when you need to get them apart for service, such as changing a faucet washer. I'd try low strength Locktite.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message ...
New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2013 7:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Sorry to hear. Quality of manufacturing is suffering.

Downside of gluing the handles on, is when you need to get them apart for service, such as changing a faucet washer. I'd try low strength Locktite.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.
.
"Higgs Boson" wrote in message ...
New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

I discovered that they did sell a permanent and non-permanent type a few
years ago. Everybody might not know this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:
New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white
porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give
mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not
matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies
shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

Nothing too strong. A drop of varnish, lacquer, nail polish etc. will
usually suffice.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aparently, the OP bought the non permanant
faucet handles?

Loctite comes in red, blue, and some other
color. Red is permanant, I think. Blue, if I
remember, is the removable type.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Frank"
wrote in message ...

Downside of gluing the handles on, is when
you need to get them apart for service, such as
changing a faucet washer. I'd try low strength
Locktite.

I discovered that they did sell a permanent and
non-permanent type a few
years ago. Everybody might not know this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, I thought I was the only person who
used nail polish for threadlock. I call it "female
thread lock". I've had customers ask why I have
finger nail polish in my tool box, on the top
tray.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies
shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

Nothing too strong. A drop of varnish, lacquer, nail polish etc. will
usually suffice.

--

dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:09:48 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

If you have those universal handles with the set screws they always get loose. I try to stay away from using them as much as possible.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 14, 2013 6:36:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:09:48 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:

New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

If you have those universal handles with the set screws they always get loose. I try to stay away from using them as much as possible.

Wish I could, but they are on the only sink in the only bathroom in the house.

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:09:48 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

Thanks to all for suggestions.

1. Is Locktite removable if necessary? If so, what is the solvent?

2. Same for clear nail polish. I assume the solvent is polish remover?

3. Went to Locktite site and got another idea. What about wrapping in plumber's/electrician's thread tape?

Together, our giant minds will lick this one yet!

HB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 9:01*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Aparently, the OP bought the non permanant
faucet handles?

Loctite comes in red, blue, and some other
color. Red is permanant, I think. Blue, if I
remember, is the removable type.
.

That is correct. Blue is the easier to remove strength.
Red isn't really permanent, just takes a lot more force.
Blue would be fine for this. I use it on my snowboard
mounting screws. Keeps them from coming out, but they
still come out readily with a screwdriver.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 4:14*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:09:48 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
New (less than a year) bathroom sink installed. *I wanted two white porcelain handles, which I got. *But can't find receipt to give mfr. name! *Couldn't find exact photo on-line, but this may not matter?

Handles get loose all the time and have to be screwed tight.

QUESTION: *Is there a downside to gluing/fastening those puppies shut so they won't keep coming unscrewed?

If it's OK, what is recommended product?

TIA

HB

Thanks to all for suggestions.

1. *Is Locktite removable if necessary? *If so, what is the solvent?

Yes. Use the lower strength blue. There is no solvent,
it just helps bind the threads and you remove as usual
with a screwdriver.

2. *Same for clear nail polish. *I assume the solvent is polish remover?

That will probably work too and again, no solvent required.

3. *Went to Locktite site and got another idea. *What about wrapping in plumber's/electrician's thread tape?

Wrapping what? The screw or the stem before the
handle goes on? Screw for sure isn't going to work.
Loctite/polish on the screw threads is way to go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 14, 2013 1:51:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

***The stem. Thought it would create enuff friction to keep it tight.-

Locktite: Why COLORS? Can't visualize. Why color something that will not be seen? Straight q.

Nail polish on the screw threads is way to go.

You said no solvent required to remove nail polish ???? Sure is required to get it off nails! Clarification, pls, TIA.

HB

OK, how many votes for Locktite and how many for nail polish?-

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I vote for neither. As I said in first reply, Clear silicone. You cannot see
it but easy to remove and works good. I also use it on slip joint drain
pipes with gasket. Seals good but can be taken apart easy. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 6:03*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

They are two different strength products. Red is high strength.
Blue is regular strength. They color them different so mechanics
can tell them apart and use the right one.

Nail polish on the screw threads is way to go.

You said no solvent required to remove nail polish ???? * Sure is required to get it off nails! *Clarification, pls, TIA.

HB

You put the Loctite or naipolish on the THREADS OF THE SCREWS.
You use a screwdriver to take the screws out. The Loctite just binds
it up so that it can't come out as easily, ie it won't loosen up. I
would
not put loctite on the shaft of the faucet. If solvent were required
to get
it apart, I don't know how you'd get the solvent into where it needs
go.

OK, how many votes for Locktite and how many for nail polish?-- Hide quoted text -

I know Loctite works because that's what it's made for. Nailpolish
is a similar idea. How much it holds vs nailpolish, IDK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Higgs Boson wrote:

Nail polish on the screw threads is way to go.

You said no solvent required to remove nail polish ???? Sure is
required to get it off nails! Clarification, pls, TIA.

Neither it nor the others I suggested will resist a screwdriver. The
solvent for nail polish is acerone (nail po;ish remover); lacquer thinner
would probably do it too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 7:56*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
Nail polish on the screw threads is way to go.

You said no solvent required to remove nail polish ???? * Sure is
required to get it off nails! *Clarification, pls, TIA.

Neither it nor the others I suggested will resist a screwdriver. *The
solvent for nail polish is acerone (nail po;ish remover); lacquer thinner
would probably do it too.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net

I vote for using nail polish, that saves a trip to the store for the
locktite. IF Locktite, I would use the blue, the red may be too
strong to be able to remove the handles without damaging the
screwdriver slot. But if the handles will not need to be removed for
as long as you are in the house, then go for the red loctite.
Senior Member

Another option is to use an old plumber's trick.

When replacing a washer on a cartridge stem, often the soft rubber washer compresses too much in the middle before the screw actually tightens up.

So, around here it was common for plumbers to put the brass bibb screw through the washer and then use a pair of side cutters to muck up the screw threads immediately on the back side of the washer. That way, as soon as the screw was starting to compress the washer, the mucked up male threads on the bibb screw would enter the female threads of the spindle and the screw would get significantly tighter. That is sufficiently tight to hold the washer firmly in place, but without compressing the middle of the washer all out of shape.

I'm thinking the solution might be to use brass faucet handle screws instead of the stainless steel ones the faucet probably came with, and simply use a pair of wire cutters to muck up the threads of the brass screw only a little. That way, the screw might be a little harder to turn in and out of the spindle, but it won't turn by itself, and therefore the faucet handles won't loosen up.

And, that solution sidesteps Higgs Boson's concern about how to remove the nail polish or Loctite if desired cuz there won't be any nail polish or Loctite invoved.

Any place that sells fasteners will stock or be able to order brass screws for you.

Last edited by nestork : June 15th 13 at 07:31 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 14, 2013 11:23:02 PM UTC-7, nestork wrote:
[...]

Wow, thanks, guys for these hugely educational comments! Let's hear it for plumbers -- one step down from god.

But, Nestork, remember this is a family group! The below could be read several ways, depending on the depravity of the reader's mind.

*** That way, as soon as the screw was starting to compress the washer, the mucked up male threads on the bibb screw would enter the female threads of the
spindle and the screw would get significantly tighter. That is
sufficiently tight to hold the washer firmly in place, but without
compressing the middle of the washer all out of shape.***

HB

--

nestork

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 2:23*am, nestork wrote:
[...]

Deliberately buggering up the threads on screws that fasten
a faucet handle sounds like a bad idea to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

take a digital camera photo, and upload it he

http://imgur.com/

no registration, no email needed, nothing

all you do is upload off your computer
[love this site]

marc
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [_2_] View Post
Deliberately buggering up the threads on screws that fasten
a faucet handle sounds like a bad idea to me.
Sure, at the first glance it does look like you're causing damage.

But, how often do you need to remove that screw? Once ever 10 years to replace the washer?

If you can get 10 years of service out of that faucet without having the handles loosen up before you have to pay another 12 cents for two more brass screws to last another 10 years, that's not an idea I would dismiss out of hand.

And, both the screws and the spindles can be replaced for a few dollars, so it's not like you can't get back to the original situation if you wanted to.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 15, 3:19*pm, nestork wrote:
[_2_ Wrote:

;3078707']
Deliberately buggering up the threads on screws that fasten
a faucet handle sounds like a bad idea to me.

Sure, at the first glance it does look like you're causing damage.

It not only looks like you're causing damage, you are.

But, how often do you need to remove that screw? *Once ever 10 years to
replace the washer?

How about if you bugger it up and you don't get it
together to begin with? It only takes once for it to
be a problem.

If you can get 10 years of service out of that faucet without having the
handles loosen up before you have to pay another 12 cents for two more
brass screws to last another 10 years, that's not an idea I would
dismiss out of hand.

And, both the screws and the spindles can be replaced for a few dollars,
so it's not like you can't get back to the original situation if you
wanted to.

--
nestork

Assuming said spindle is still available 10 years later.....
Even then, good luck with finding it and it only costing
a few dollars. Loctite on the other hand only costs a
few dollars and is readily available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:50:27 AM UTC-7, wrote:
take a digital camera photo, and upload it he

http://imgur.com/

no registration, no email needed, nothing

??? They DID require a registration -- unless I'm reading site wrong?

Seems kinda glitzy & pop with all those weird pix jumping out at you.

Also concerned about privacy (sob!).

all you do is upload off your computer

I did, and it went through, but I would still appreciate your input registration.

TIA

HB

[love this site]

marc

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
take a digital camera photo, and upload it he

http://imgur.com/

no registration, no email needed, nothing

??? They DID require a registration -- unless I'm reading site wrong?

Seems kinda glitzy & pop with all those weird pix jumping out at you.

Also concerned about privacy (sob!).

all you do is upload off your computer

I did, and it went through, but I would still appreciate your input
registration.

TIA

I use http://tinypic.com and it works well -- no registration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

take a digital camera photo, and upload it he

http://imgur.com/

no registration, no email needed, nothing

??? They DID require a registration -- unless I'm reading site wrong?

Seems kinda glitzy & pop with all those weird pix jumping out at you.

Also concerned about privacy (sob!).

all you do is upload off your computer

I did, and it went through, but I would still appreciate your input

registration.

TIA

I use http://tinypic.com and it works well -- no registration.

Tinypic looks like it "may" be ok, also

haven't tried it

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, June 17, 2013 4:57:25 PM UTC-7, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, June 15, 2013 10:50:27 AM UTC-7, wrote:

take a digital camera photo, and upload it he

http://imgur.com/

no registration, no email needed, nothing

??? They DID require a registration -- unless I'm reading site wrong?

Seems kinda glitzy & pop with all those weird pix jumping out at you.

Also concerned about privacy (sob!).

all you do is upload off your computer

I did, and it went through, but I would still appreciate your input registration.

TIA

HB

[love this site]

marc

i've tried Imgur a few times, with no problems

[never asked for registration]

marc