Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Faucet Valve Handles Difficult to Open (Sometimes)

My bathroom lavatory faucet handles are difficult to open, usually one
or more times a day.

Usually they open easily.

Opening either one will cause the flow to run out fast, then slow to a
normal rate in 5 seconds or so.

Doing so will allow the other to open easily, with normal flow rate.

We have a circulating hot water system, where a pump next to the water
heater, about 40 feet away keeps hot water running in a loop that runs
within 8 feet of the faucet.

Could this system be the cause of the problem, creating over pressure?

Or could there be another cause?

I think the house pressure regulator is set for 80 lbs. I think the
high pressure allowed the plumber to use smaller pipes in installing
the system.

Thanks for reading this and giving any suggestions.

Ted

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ted wrote:
My bathroom lavatory faucet handles are difficult to open, usually one
or more times a day.

Usually they open easily.

Opening either one will cause the flow to run out fast, then slow to a
normal rate in 5 seconds or so.

Doing so will allow the other to open easily, with normal flow rate.

We have a circulating hot water system, where a pump next to the water
heater, about 40 feet away keeps hot water running in a loop that runs
within 8 feet of the faucet.

Could this system be the cause of the problem, creating over pressure?

Or could there be another cause?

I think the house pressure regulator is set for 80 lbs. I think the
high pressure allowed the plumber to use smaller pipes in installing
the system.

I'd venture the circulating pump is the prime culprit given that it is
intermittent symptom.

80-lb is far too high for domestic water supply pressure. It'll cause
premature failure of toilet valves, chattering and possibly early leaks.

40-50 would be far more common.

Check that there is a bypass or recirculating loop in the hot water
system and that it has sufficient capacity. Sounds like something in
that system isn't right and again 80-lb is awfully high if regulator is
actually set there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ted wrote:
My bathroom lavatory faucet handles are difficult to open, usually one
or more times a day.

Usually they open easily.

Opening either one will cause the flow to run out fast, then slow to a
normal rate in 5 seconds or so.

Doing so will allow the other to open easily, with normal flow rate.

We have a circulating hot water system, where a pump next to the water
heater, about 40 feet away keeps hot water running in a loop that runs
within 8 feet of the faucet.

Could this system be the cause of the problem, creating over pressure?

Or could there be another cause?

I think the house pressure regulator is set for 80 lbs. I think the
high pressure allowed the plumber to use smaller pipes in installing
the system.

Thanks for reading this and giving any suggestions.

Ted

The factory set for all of the home water pressure
regulators that I've ever dealt with has been 50lbs.
I'm not a licensed plumber but I've serviced enough
equipment that ties into water lines and worked
with any number of plumbers over the years and have
never see a new installation where the water pressure
was intentionally set high. Around here, the outdoor
faucets/spigots are tied in to the water line in front
of the regulator so they get full pressure which I've
seen as high as 190lbs but most indoor plumbing doesn't
work well or reliably under high pressures. Standard
T/P valves on water heaters will open at 150lbs. I may
have to ask one of my master plumber friends if he has
ever used the smaller pipe, higher pressure setup.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:ggbsoo$iej$1
@aioe.org:

Ted wrote:
[...]

LOL. Immediate unsolicited up front disclosure so you don't end up like
Joe the Plumber.

but I've serviced enough
equipment that ties into water lines and worked
with any number of plumbers over the years and have
never see a new installation where the water pressure
was intentionally set high. Around here, the outdoor
faucets/spigots are tied in to the water line in front
of the regulator so they get full pressure which I've
seen as high as 190lbs but most indoor plumbing doesn't
work well or reliably under high pressures. Standard
T/P valves on water heaters will open at 150lbs. I may
have to ask one of my master plumber friends if he has
ever used the smaller pipe, higher pressure setup.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ted wrote:
[...]

I always tell the truth which is why I
get slapped all the time and seem to
have a problem getting along with women.

Woman: "Does this make me look fat?"

TDD: "Damn girl, you gotta turn sideways
to get through a door!"

Woman: SLAP!!

TDD: "Why the hell did you hit me?"

Woman: "You called me fat!"