Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Swimming Pool Filter recommendations

It appears that my SS Nautilus 48 DE filter needs replacement. Any
recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:36:08 -0400, Pointer
wrote:

It appears that my SS Nautilus 48 DE filter needs replacement. Any
recommendations would be appreciated.

Hayward or Pentair.

Biased opinion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It appears that my SS Nautilus 48 DE filter needs replacement. *Any
recommendations would be appreciated.

Hayward or Pentair.

Biased opinion.

Have a Pentair that is about 7 years old now. Still using the
original
media/element, but that part is nearing the end of it's life. First
small
hole in the fabric has shown up and the plastic frame inside the
elements
is getting brittle, some has cracked and broken.

But that brings up another question. Do you need a whole new filter?
In the case of the above, the media can be replaced for $180 or so,
about 1/4 the cost of a whole new filter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

When the hired guy is telling you things that are clearly not true, it's time to get a different hired guy.

Since the pump is pushing water through, and the system isn't severely leaking (don't think you mentioned such). Have you backwashed to clear the filter?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Pointer" wrote in message ...

Hard to tell what I need until I disassemble. The filter is passing
debris to the screen filter on the old polaris. The pool guy says I
need a new filter and a valve, which is hard to believe. He further
states that the elements on the current Nautilus are not available which
is incorrect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

is incorrect.- Hide quoted text -

A bad seal or the plate sticking in the multi-port valve is
another possible cause. Seal can be replaced, valve lubed.
First thing I'd do is take apart the filter and check the elements.
Besides the elements there is probably an O-ring or two to
check also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 05:39:40 -0700, wrote:

Besides the elements there is probably an O-ring or two to
check also.

OP. Regarding the o-rings only ...

You can replace all the necessary o-rings at a fraction of
the cost at a pool supply house simply by determining the
trade number of that o-ring.
http://www.oringsusa.com/html/size_chart.html

The easiest way to determine that trade number is to
google for the part number, but add to your search
an O-# designation, such as O-100 (or similar search).

Once you have the trade size, you'll be amazed how an
$18 filter o-ring turns into a $1 trade-size o-ring.

As for material, unless you have a chlorinator, you can
use the standard buna-N (aka nitrile) o-rings.

The team here is very helpful as they taught me all I know.
Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 12:25*pm, sms wrote:
On 6/3/2013 3:29 PM, wrote:

But that brings up another question. *Do you need a whole new filter?
In the case of the above, the media can be replaced for $180 or so,
about 1/4 the cost of a whole new filter.

I have a Pentair cartridge with four elements. It's about eight years
old and the elements are still okay.

My neighbor has a DE filter that he doesn't like. I don't think anyone
puts in new DE filters anymore.

Every new pool here that I've seen uses a DE. What exactly is
wrong with the one your neighbor has?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 4, 1:03*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 09:32:15 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
On Jun 4, 12:25*pm, sms wrote:
On 6/3/2013 3:29 PM, wrote:

But that brings up another question. *Do you need a whole new filter?
In the case of the above, the media can be replaced for $180 or so,
about 1/4 the cost of a whole new filter.

I have a Pentair cartridge with four elements. It's about eight years
old and the elements are still okay.

My neighbor has a DE filter that he doesn't like. I don't think anyone
puts in new DE filters anymore.

Every new pool here that I've seen uses a DE. *What exactly is
wrong with the one your neighbor has?

I am still not sure why people don't like the paper cartridge filter.
My pool is screened in so I don't get a lot of trash in it but the
filter lasts for years, just getting cleaned once or twice a year and
they are about $50.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know how you get away with cleaning the filter
just twice a year. With a DE, I clean it about every two
days during spring start up that lasts a week. Then during
the normal season, I'd say about once every 3 weeks or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:36:08 -0400, Pointer wrote:

It appears that my SS Nautilus 48 DE filter needs replacement. Any
recommendations would be appreciated.

slightly off topic

If you do go for a cloth cartridge filter, I haven't yet been
able to figure out whether they can be sourced by
trade size (like O-rings can).

If you do buy a cloth-cartridge style replacement,
let us know if there is a cross reference to trade sizes,
which would help everyone if it exists.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 10:59:10 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Every new pool here that I've seen uses a DE. *What exactly is
wrong with the one your neighbor has?

I am still not sure why people don't like the paper cartridge filter.
My pool is screened in so I don't get a lot of trash in it but the
filter lasts for years, just getting cleaned once or twice a year and
they are about $50.- Hide quoted text -

I don't know how you get away with cleaning the filter
just twice a year. With a DE, I clean it about every two
days during spring start up that lasts a week. Then during
the normal season, I'd say about once every 3 weeks or so.

It is suggested that my cartridge filters be cleaned at about 3-4
months. Or when the PSI rises by 10 psi. Last I cleaned mine was in
the fall. They need it now. The PSI jumped a few...

I've read that DE is better on larger pools. Paper is just fine for a
10,000 gallon adult pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 6/4/2013 11:08 AM, Oren wrote:

It is suggested that my cartridge filters be cleaned at about 3-4
months. Or when the PSI rises by 10 psi. Last I cleaned mine was in
the fall. They need it now. The PSI jumped a few...

I've read that DE is better on larger pools. Paper is just fine for a
10,000 gallon adult pool.

Where did you see that? I know the older, single-cartridge, models
weren't suitable for large pools (I had one of those when we bought the
house and it was a PITA). But the four-cartridge models are fine. I have
a 40K gallon pool and probably have to clean the cartridges twice a year
(usually after I do a phosphate treatment).

DE does filter smaller particles than cartridges though you can actually
dump a little DE or cellulose fiber into a cartridge filter and achieve
essentially the same result.

See http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:20:39 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 6/4/2013 11:08 AM, Oren wrote:

It is suggested that my cartridge filters be cleaned at about 3-4
months. Or when the PSI rises by 10 psi. Last I cleaned mine was in
the fall. They need it now. The PSI jumped a few...

I've read that DE is better on larger pools. Paper is just fine for a
10,000 gallon adult pool.

Where did you see that? I know the older, single-cartridge, models
weren't suitable for large pools (I had one of those when we bought the
house and it was a PITA). But the four-cartridge models are fine. I have
a 40K gallon pool and probably have to clean the cartridges twice a year
(usually after I do a phosphate treatment).

DE does filter smaller particles than cartridges though you can actually
dump a little DE or cellulose fiber into a cartridge filter and achieve
essentially the same result.

See http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_filter_comparison

I must have read it on the Internet. I did talk to a pool person when
I considered DE vs cartridges.

I had the old single cartridge, but the new filter unit is double the
filter capacity of what I had and has four cartridges.

Cleaning them a few times a year is not a heart breaker.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 13:03:03 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

filter lasts for years, just getting cleaned once or twice a year and
they are about $50.

Mine are about ten times that cost, so it may greatly
depend on the size of the OP's pool:
- Sta-Rite System 3 Model S8M150,
- 259 sqft (large) cartridge P/N 25022-0203S ~$250
- 191 sqft (small) cartridge P/N 25021-0202S ~$200
http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Rite-25022.../dp/B004CTVXFQ

Still, you're wholly right that cloth lasts years; and I
only clean mine once a year (although I probably should
clean it more often). Even then, I just use a garden
hose, although I'm going to rig the bucket for an
overnight soak the next time I try it).

Mine is at least 3 years old, and, the only wear I see
(despite Oren's objections to my optimistic assessment)
are from when I used the 2600psi pressure washer on the pleats.

The pressure washer was just too strong (even with the
tamest nozzle I could put on it).

Nowadays, I just use the 60psi to 80psi garden hose with a
brass nozzle on the end (all the plastic nozzles broke within
two years!). Next time they'll soak in Dawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:20:39 -0700, sms wrote:

I have a 40K gallon pool and probably have to clean the cartridges
twice a year (usually after I do a phosphate treatment).

Just to back up what SMS says, mine is also just under 40K gallons,
in the same town as SMS (who is a genius at more than just pools).

I clean my cartridges once a year (but really should do so more often).

My cartridges are these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Rite-25022.../dp/B004CTVXFQ

My *next* cleaning is going to be the "Dawn" treatment; and then
the brass-nozzle treatment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D writes:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:20:39 -0700, sms wrote:

I have a 40K gallon pool and probably have to clean the cartridges
twice a year (usually after I do a phosphate treatment).

Just to back up what SMS says, mine is also just under 40K gallons,
in the same town as SMS (who is a genius at more than just pools).

I clean my cartridges once a year (but really should do so more often).

My cartridges are these:
http://www.amazon.com/Sta-Rite-25022.../dp/B004CTVXFQ

My *next* cleaning is going to be the "Dawn" treatment; and then
the brass-nozzle treatment.

Good luck.

My instinct says don't put detergent anywhere near a pool.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 22:03:07 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

My *next* cleaning is going to be the "Dawn" treatment; and then
the brass-nozzle treatment.

I would NEVER use "Dawn".

I'll be trying super washing soda. (Wal-Mart) for a first time
cartridge soakin'

"Sodium carbonate (also known as washing soda or soda ash)"

http://www.armandhammer.com/fabric-care/laundry-boosters/Products/arm-and-hammer-super-washing-soda-detergent-booster.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:16:31 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

My instinct says don't put detergent anywhere near a pool.

Well, my first "experiment" with Costco laundry detergent:

Was a bit bubbly!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 15:18:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

I'll be trying super washing soda. (Wal-Mart) for a first time
cartridge soakin'

Has anyone here ever tried this sucker?
http://miwayinc.com/AquaComb/PoolSpa.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 15:18:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

I would NEVER use "Dawn".

Found these instructions on the web:

Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer's instructions.
Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element.
Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle,
and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.
Rinse until all dirt and debris are gone.
For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where
perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element
for at least on hour (overnight is most effective) in
(1) a commercial filter cleaner; or
(2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or
(3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.
Rinse the cartridge again to remove oils and cleaning solution.
If the filter has a coating of alage, calcium carbonate (residue from calcium
hypochlorite), iron, or other minerals, soak the cartridge in a solution of
one part muriatic acid to twenty parts water until all bubbling stops.
WARNING: Failure to remove all oils and cleaning solution before acid
soaking will result in a permanent restriction of water flow and cause
premature cartridge failure.
Rinse the cartridge clean and reassemble housing

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 23:35:56 +0000 (UTC), Danny D
wrote:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 15:18:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

I'll be trying super washing soda. (Wal-Mart) for a first time
cartridge soakin'

Has anyone here ever tried this sucker?
http://miwayinc.com/AquaComb/PoolSpa.aspx

No. I bought a beverage, instead.

All ya need is a water hose and nozzle.

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00QMotekBEafbv/Brass-Nozzle-FL7511-.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 23:44:40 +0000, Danny D wrote:

(2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or

I wonder if all the rules about phosphates destroying the rivers
and lakes apply to those of us with septic systems no where near
a river or a lake?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 11:08:54 -0700, Oren wrote:

It is suggested that my cartridge filters be cleaned at about 3-4
months. Or when the PSI rises by 10 psi

I think my filter instructions say 8 psi which, for me, is about at
the 3/4 year mark or so.

BTW, do you think this tool would be difficult to make at home?
http://www.filterflosser.com/FILTER%...SER/index.html

Seems like a curved pipe with holes drilled in it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Danny D writes:

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 15:18:22 -0700, Oren wrote:

I would NEVER use "Dawn".

Found these instructions on the web:

Remove the cartridge from the filter housing following the manufacturer's instructions.
Use a garden hose with a straight flow nozzle to wash down the filter element.
Work from the top down, holding the nozzle at a 45 degree angle,
and wash all the pleats with emphasis between pleats.
Rinse until all dirt and debris are gone.
For all spa cartridges and elements used in swimming pools where
perspiration, suntan lotions, and other oils are present, soak the element
for at least on hour (overnight is most effective) in
(1) a commercial filter cleaner; or
(2) one cup trisodium phosphate (TSP) to five gallons water; or
(3) one cup dishwasher detergent to five gallons of water.

I once destroyed an ink jet printer following instructions on the web.

But if there really are oils on the filter I suppose nothing else will
do.

I use sand and I can remove oils through back flushing or just pulling
out clumps of sand at the end of the year.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 21:59:59 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I once destroyed an ink jet printer following instructions on the web.

OT

Don't get me started on HP ink marketing and packaging, what with their
"ink chip" expiry dates on purpose making it so that you can no longer
refill the ink tanks from high-quality ink in bulk. Sheesh.

/ OT

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pointer wrote:
It appears that my SS Nautilus 48 DE filter needs replacement. Any
recommendations would be appreciated.

My Hayward DE filter has been going since 1986. The only problem was the
motor stopped working about 8 years ago on the morning of July 4th when
we were going to have a party that day. A quick trip to the pool supply
store had it back in business in time.
Of course, it was made in America back then. Who knows who makes them now.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 09:58:21 -0400, willshak wrote:

motor stopped working about 8 years ago on the morning of July 4th when
we were going to have a party that day. A quick trip to the pool supply
store had it back in business in time.

I tried to buy a motor at Leslies and they don't stock 'em.
They'll order them, but don't stock them.
Did yours have an entire correct motor in stock?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 12:11:05 -0400, gfretwell wrote:

I have collected a pretty good assortment of motors and pumps from
neighbors and rebuilt them so I am set.

That's a good idea, rebuilding spare motors:

I've always wanted a 2 HP bench grinder, for example!

Thanks to the help here, I found out it's easy to stock the parts
of my AO Smith (now Century) motors for rebuilding:
1. 6203-2RS double-sealed bearings (two per motor)
2. 8x32" threaded SS rod (four thru-bolts per motor)
3. TefGel or equivalent PTFE dissimilar-metal anti-seize

One suggestion is to use unions where the pumps connect

Indeed!

Thanks to folks here, I took their advice and planned ahead by piping
my pumps the same up to the unions, so I can even more easily swap
them out, if/when needed:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 14:49:45 -0400, wrote:

I did re purpose a 1HP pump motor to spin up a Gast air pump to use as
a hookah for the kids to play with in the pool.

http://gfretwell.com/ftp/Petra%20dive.wmv

No you need a bigger boat