Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How many bags of mortar per blocks

How many bags of mortar do I need per number of 8x8x16 concrete blocks?

I want to build a small basement, know the number of blocks I will need
(around 800), but dont know how to determine the amount of mortar. I
intend to buy raw mortar and add my own sand. I'll just buy a truckload
of sand, which I assume should be more than enough, but how do I
determine the number of bags of mortar? This is a rural area and I have
to drive 55 miles to get it at a reasonable price, so I want to be sure
I have enough. I refuse to buy it locally and pay their outrageous
ripoff prices (for example, the blocks at the building center 55 miles
away are $.89 each, locally, they are $2.40 each).

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
How many bags of mortar do I need per number of 8x8x16 concrete blocks?

I want to build a small basement, know the number of blocks I will need
(around 800), but dont know how to determine the amount of mortar. I
intend to buy raw mortar and add my own sand. I'll just buy a truckload
of sand, which I assume should be more than enough, but how do I
determine the number of bags of mortar? This is a rural area and I have
to drive 55 miles to get it at a reasonable price, so I want to be sure
I have enough. I refuse to buy it locally and pay their outrageous
ripoff prices (for example, the blocks at the building center 55 miles
away are $.89 each, locally, they are $2.40 each).

Thanks

I bought 8X10X16 at local supply at about $1.60 each. I used 60 pound
premixed mixed bag for about 12 blocks. First time I ever blocked, a window
opening. You can probably find a calculator somewhere.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 9:04*pm, wrote:
How many bags of mortar do I need per number of 8x8x16 concrete blocks?

I want to build a small basement, know the number of blocks I will need
(around 800), but dont know how to determine the amount of mortar.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mortar+per+concrete+block
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 21, 6:04*pm, wrote:
How many bags of mortar do I need per number of 8x8x16 concrete blocks?

I want to build a small basement, know the number of blocks I will need
(around 800), but dont know how to determine the amount of mortar. *I
intend to buy raw mortar and add my own sand. *I'll just buy a truckload
of sand, which I assume should be more than enough, but how do I
determine the number of bags of mortar? *This is a rural area and I have
to drive 55 miles to get it at a reasonable price, so I want to be sure
I have enough. *I refuse to buy it locally and pay their outrageous
ripoff prices (for example, the blocks at the building center 55 miles
away are $.89 each, locally, they are $2.40 each).

Thanks

Better rething "getting it at a reasonable price". Unless you are
hauling with a semi, 800 blocks will reqwuite multiple trips with
whatever you haul with. The fuel cost will add up in a hurry. I had
my blocks used for the same purpose deliverred from 54 miles away all
in one trip and dropped right at the excavation.
IIRC the delivery charge was $1.00/mile (one way).

Why make your own mortar? You won't save much buy adding your own
sand (be sure it is "mason's sand).
The convenience alone is worth something. By the time you have laid a
couple hundred block you will kill for any way to save time and work.
BTDT.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 2:23*am, gregz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

You don't want to buy it all at once as you will have to store it
somewhere dry and it will deteriorate anyway unless used immediately.
BTW can you can cement over there in waterproof bags?

Premixed stuff is grossly uneconomic.

The strength of the cement you mix will depend on the strength of the
blocks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:48:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:04:18 -0500, wrote:

How many bags of mortar do I need per number of 8x8x16 concrete blocks?

I want to build a small basement, know the number of blocks I will need
(around 800), but dont know how to determine the amount of mortar. I
intend to buy raw mortar and add my own sand. I'll just buy a truckload
of sand, which I assume should be more than enough, but how do I
determine the number of bags of mortar? This is a rural area and I have
to drive 55 miles to get it at a reasonable price, so I want to be sure
I have enough. I refuse to buy it locally and pay their outrageous
ripoff prices (for example, the blocks at the building center 55 miles
away are $.89 each, locally, they are $2.40 each).

Thanks

There are blocks and there are blocks. Be sure you are comparing the
same block when comparing prices.
Hauling those blocks 55 miles can be costly too.

You should get about 28 to 40 block per bag.

Instead of block, why not pour a concrete foundation with the
insulation? Set up the ICF's yourself, get some reddi-mix and you are
done. Save a bundle on energy.

In fact, why not build the entire house that way and it is pretty
tornado and hurricane resistant too.

www.integraspec.com
www.standardicf.net
and many others.

I already checked into a poured foundation. The cost is 5 to 6 times as
much as block. I've built with block, not an entire basement, but I've
done the work. It's just one of those things where I'll build a little
every day. There is no huge rush. As far as hauling them, I have
access to a large heavy duty trailer that should handle about 350
blocks, considering the weight of about 40lbs per block. That's three
trips (one with the mortar). I go there every few weeks anyhow, so the
cost of gas wont be all that much more.

The blocks sold locally are from the same company as the much cheaper
ones. In fact someone told me the local place that charges outrageous
prices gets them from the cheaper place 55 miles away. I dont doubt
that at all.

No, I wont buy premixed mortar. Why pay the premium price to have the
sand included, then have to haul the (sand) all that distance. Not to
mention that all premixed concrete products are always weak. Meaning
that whenever I've ever bought premixed concrete, it makes a weak
sidewalk, because there is not enough portland cement added. I'ver
always added more if I'm making a sidewalk or something other than
setting fence posts. I own a cement mixer, so adding sand and mortar is
no big deal, in face having to rip open all those bags seems tedious
compared to just shoveling in sand from a pile and adding a bag of
mortar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

+1 on that. Be sure you get your math right-- Each block weighs
about 40 lbs-- That puts your 800 blocks at about 16 tons. That's a
lot of trips with a one ton truck.

I'd gladly pay the premium to have the local guy deliver them on 9-10
pallets, and distribute them around the site to minimize carrying.

You should get about 28 to 40 block per bag.

Instead of block, why not pour a concrete foundation with the
insulation? Set up the ICF's yourself, get some reddi-mix and you are
done. Save a bundle on energy.

That looks expensive at first--- but it is a crap-load less work, and
a better job in the long run.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/21/2013 10:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Two friends did that. I watched closely, like the result and would
definitely use ICFs if building.

In fact, why not build the entire house that way and it is pretty
tornado and hurricane resistant too.

www.integraspec.com
www.standardicf.net
and many others.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/21/2013 10:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing that a lot of people are still more comfortable with block
than with forms... and I imagine you could get a lot of the same
benefits by applying foam insulation to the block afterwards.

However for a truly strong wall if using block you would probably want
to fill all the voids with rebar and concrete rather than just relying
on mortar and gravity to hold everything together... yeah I'm that guy
that overbuilds everything.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 22, 7:22*am, Nate Nagel wrote:

However for a truly strong wall if using block you would probably want
to fill all the voids with rebar and concrete rather than just relying
on mortar and gravity to hold everything together... *yeah I'm that guy
that overbuilds everything.

No, you're that guy who imagines he would overbuild, if he ever built
anything... and doesn't know the difference.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Will you have a helper? Estimated time to completion? It's a damn lot
of heavy lifting )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 10:43:53 -0400, Norminn
compared to just shoveling in sand from a pile and adding a bag of
mortar.

Will you have a helper? Estimated time to completion? It's a damn lot
of heavy lifting )

Probably several helpers. The lifting is no big problem. I'm a farmer,
I lift hay bales daily and they are heavier than the blocks. Plus I
have a tractor with a loader to help lift stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 May 2013 07:02:24 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

+1 on that. Be sure you get your math right-- Each block weighs
about 40 lbs-- That puts your 800 blocks at about 16 tons. That's a
lot of trips with a one ton truck.

I'd gladly pay the premium to have the local guy deliver them on 9-10
pallets, and distribute them around the site to minimize carrying.

I'm debating whether to make 800 trips and get one block each trip.
That's 88,000 miles.

Or to make 80 trips and get 10 blocks each trip. That would only be
8,800 miles.

Posted to alt.home.repair
les les is offline

replying to Ed Pawlowski, les wrote:
That was not the question.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ks-749319-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2017 7:44 PM, les wrote:
replying to Ed Pawlowski, les wrote:
That was not the question.

Four years later. . .
No, it was not the question but may have been the best solution. Do you
have a problem with a better idea?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 9, 2017 at 8:46:09 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/9/2017 7:44 PM, les wrote:
replying to Ed Pawlowski, les wrote:
That was not the question.

Four years later. . .
No, it was not the question but may have been the best solution. Do you
have a problem with a better idea?

How many gerbils survived the ordeal? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Furry Monster

Do bags, open containers of mortar/concrete/plaster go bad? Existential Angst[_2_] Home Repair 16 September 26th 19 03:14 AM
bags bags bags business one way Home Repair 0 March 26th 08 03:32 PM
Clamping V blocks onto 2-3-4 blocks Louis Ohland Metalworking 16 February 13th 08 08:22 PM
bags [email protected] Metalworking 1 September 1st 07 06:34 PM
Cleaning DC Bags Dan Woodworking 2 February 16th 04 01:51 AM