Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default How many bags of mortar per blocks

On 5/21/2013 10:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 21 May 2013 20:04:18 -0500, wrote:

How many bags of mortar do I need per number of 8x8x16 concrete blocks?

I want to build a small basement, know the number of blocks I will need
(around 800), but dont know how to determine the amount of mortar. I
intend to buy raw mortar and add my own sand. I'll just buy a truckload
of sand, which I assume should be more than enough, but how do I
determine the number of bags of mortar? This is a rural area and I have
to drive 55 miles to get it at a reasonable price, so I want to be sure
I have enough. I refuse to buy it locally and pay their outrageous
ripoff prices (for example, the blocks at the building center 55 miles
away are $.89 each, locally, they are $2.40 each).

Thanks

There are blocks and there are blocks. Be sure you are comparing the
same block when comparing prices.
Hauling those blocks 55 miles can be costly too.

You should get about 28 to 40 block per bag.

Instead of block, why not pour a concrete foundation with the
insulation? Set up the ICF's yourself, get some reddi-mix and you are
done. Save a bundle on energy.

Two friends did that. I watched closely, like the result and would
definitely use ICFs if building.

In fact, why not build the entire house that way and it is pretty
tornado and hurricane resistant too.

www.integraspec.com
www.standardicf.net
and many others.