Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How tight is 40-45 lb-in (electrical panel)?

In an earlier post of mine about adding a second neutral/ground bar to a
Siemens Main Load Center electrical panel, I posted the instructions for
doing that:

"Here is a link to the ECCNB16 Instruction Sheet which shows this neutral
bar
kit and how to install it:

http://www74.zippyshare.com/v/43794674/file.html ."

In Step 4, on the right hand side, it says to tighten the two screws using
40-45 lb-in of torque.

I don't have a torque wrench, and I would rather not buy one just for this
unless I need to.

My question is, about how tight if 40-45 lb-in when it comes to tightening
these screws?

I have to admit that in my mind I was thinking it said 40-45 FOOT-pounds at
first, which seemed like way too much. But, then I read it again, and I see
that it says lb-IN, not lb-FT.

I am guessing that 40-45 lb-in means tighten the screws so they are
definitely tight, but do not tighten so much that the threads strip. Does
that seem about right?