Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home made laser level

Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 4:06*am, wrote:
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.Ads not by this site

Waste of time and would be inaccurate.

Laser levels are no more accurate than bubble or water levels.
Less so in many applications.
Just hi-tech toys for the geekish.

They are good for getting things flat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My first thought, is that a very tiny shift of the laser, would make for a very large shift at the end of the laser beam.

You'd have to wrap tape tightly, many times around the level, and then you couldn't get the level to sit evenly on the surface you're working.

I don't expect it to work well.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
wrote in message ...
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 10:06 pm, wrote:
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. You point it
at the distant object to find the proper height and pull
the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to
mark it. I'm jus' sayin' ........
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure is a labor saver. I like the idea.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Robert" wrote in message ...

Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. You point it
at the distant object to find the proper height and pull
the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to
mark it. I'm jus' sayin' ........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/14/2013 05:25 AM, Robert wrote:
On May 13, 10:06 pm, wrote:
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. You point it
at the distant object to find the proper height and pull
the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to
mark it. I'm jus' sayin' ........

I can see it now: "But your honor, this was for a construction project,
in order to establish a level line!"

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 7:31*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sure is a labor saver. I like the idea.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
* *www.lds.org
.
.

"Robert" wrote in ...

Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. * You point it
at the distant object to find the proper height and pull
the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to
mark it. * * I'm jus' sayin' ........

Got a good chuckle out of it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 May 2013 05:25:46 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote in
Re
Home made laser level:

On May 13, 10:06 pm, wrote:
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. You point it
at the distant object to find the proper height and pull
the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to
mark it. I'm jus' sayin' ........

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and
trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a
straight line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 1:02 pm, CRNG wrote:

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and
trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a
straight line.

Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally
accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance
of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet
or a laser becomes academic.
Besides, it would be a lot of fun......although, if one had
to sight a row of fence posts, it would take a lot of
ammunition......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 8:17*am, Pat wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 06:03:40 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Mon, 13 May 2013 22:06:05 -0500, wrote in
Re Home made laser level:

Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

There is no guarantee (or even a claim) that the beam of a laser
pointer is parallel to the smooth sides of the pointer.

True, but if you took the time calibrate it (ie, insure the beam is
parallel) with some other level, it should work. *Of course, you have
to account for the width of the bubble level it is attached to - eg,
the dot will appear 2" higher than level if the laser is mounted on
top of a 2" wide bubble level. *As others have said, laser levels are
just a tool that come in handy in certain situations. *Regular levels
and water levels are often easier to use and don't require batteries.
Same with laser distance measuring devices. *I love mine, but I sure
wouldn't throw my tape measure or 6' rule away. * ...Pat

"As others have said, laser levels are just a tool that come in
handy in certain situations."

I once helped tape off a huge number of 6' x 10' boxes on a convention
center floor for an event I was volunteering with. The guy that had
done it in years past had two 10' sticks, each with a mark at 6'.
(Basically a story stick) He would lay them on the floor and keep
moving the sticks from box to box as he taped off each area. This
saved him from measuring each box individually, but it still took him
a really long time.

When he asked me to help him one year, I grabbed a laser level and
shot a straight line across the entire floor. We then rolled out a
really, really long length of tape, following the laser line. Once we
had the first line taped, we used his sticks, one at each end of the
line, to help shoot a parallel line 10' away and taped it. Once we
were done with all of the lines that were 10' apart, we rotated 90
degrees and repeated the process every 6'.

Instead of moving the sticks for each box like he had been doing, all
we had to do was use one at each end of the convention hall and shoot
the laser line from one stick to the other. He couldn't believe how
much faster it went, and how even each box came out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 May 2013 12:06:19 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote:

On May 14, 1:02 pm, CRNG wrote:

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and
trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a
straight line.

Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally
accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance
of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet
or a laser becomes academic.

Wrong. Gravity bends space itself, so the lines *will* come out
right.

Besides, it would be a lot of fun......although, if one had
to sight a row of fence posts, it would take a lot of
ammunition......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 14 May 2013 20:03:27 GMT, JoeBro wrote:

Robert wrote in news:e37362e5-93d8-4b5a-82ca-
:

On May 14, 1:02 pm, CRNG wrote:

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and
trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a
straight line.

Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally
accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance
of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet
or a laser becomes academic.
Besides, it would be a lot of fun......although, if one had
to sight a row of fence posts, it would take a lot of
ammunition......

You are a moron if you consider the effects of gravity on a bullet and a
laser beam as being anywhere near similar to each other. Then there is the
effect of the bullet spin on it's trajectory.

Try reading a 6th grade physics book.

Try reading a HUMOR book.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On May 14, 1:02 pm, CRNG wrote:

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and
trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a
straight line.

Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally
accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance
of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet
or a laser becomes academic.
Besides, it would be a lot of fun......although, if one had
to sight a row of fence posts, it would take a lot of
ammunition......

You are a moron if you consider the effects of gravity on a bullet and
a laser beam as being anywhere near similar to each other. Then there
is the effect of the bullet spin on it's trajectory.

Try reading a 6th grade physics book.

Try reading a HUMOR book.

Try sticking a HUMOR book up your ass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 May 2013 09:20:42 GMT, JoeBro wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote in
:

On 14 May 2013 20:03:27 GMT, JoeBro wrote:

You are a moron if you consider the effects of gravity on a bullet and
a laser beam as being anywhere near similar to each other. Then there
is the effect of the bullet spin on it's trajectory.

Try reading a 6th grade physics book.

Try reading a HUMOR book.

Try sticking a HUMOR book up your ass.

Thanks for proving me right.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
cademic.

Wrong. Gravity bends space itself, so the lines *will* come out
right.

Actually, Einstein's theory of gravity bending the path of
light rays to a detached observer was proven by seeing the
"jump" of the light from a distant star as it passed near
our sun during an eclipse. The position of the star shifted
abruptly as the light ray followed the bend space coordinates
caused by the sun's gravitational field...... then shifted back
abruptly as the path moved away from the sun. Hence,
the light to a distance observer appeared 'bent".....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 1:45*pm, Robert wrote:
On May 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
cademic.

Wrong. *Gravity bends space itself, so the lines *will* come out
right.

Actually, Einstein's theory of gravity bending the path of
light rays to a detached observer was proven by seeing the
"jump" of the light from a distant star as it passed near
our sun during an eclipse. * The position of the star shifted
abruptly as the light ray followed the bend space coordinates
caused by the sun's gravitational field...... then shifted back
abruptly as the path moved away from the sun. *Hence,
the light to a distance observer appeared 'bent".....

Yes, I've read that somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2013 05:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote:

On May 14, 3:38 pm, wrote:
cademic.

Wrong. Gravity bends space itself, so the lines *will* come out
right.

Actually, Einstein's theory of gravity bending the path of
light rays to a detached observer was proven by seeing the
"jump" of the light from a distant star as it passed near
our sun during an eclipse. The position of the star shifted
abruptly as the light ray followed the bend space coordinates
caused by the sun's gravitational field...... then shifted back
abruptly as the path moved away from the sun. Hence,
the light to a distance observer appeared 'bent".....

Actually, no. Gravity bent space itself. You are observing artifacts
of that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert wrote:
On May 14, 1:02 pm, CRNG wrote:

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and
trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a
straight line.

Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally
accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance
of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet
or a laser becomes academic.
Besides, it would be a lot of fun......although, if one had
to sight a row of fence posts, it would take a lot of
ammunition......

Surfaces can release heat and will bend beams by refraction. I have not
found a use for a ruler laser, but I do have a self leveling laser from HF.
I use it in low light. I've measured beam sag, and I built my elevated deck
using that laser. I did try the water hose. It worked ok. Seemed like more
work when looking at multiple points at the same time. I also use the dual
beam HF laser to set angles and dimensions on basement upgrade.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 14 May 2013 19:21:08 -0400, George
wrote:

I demonstrated using a water level to someone and they were absolutely
sure that it couldn't be accurate especially since it didn't have a LASER.

If you take a hose and run it from New York to California and fill it
with water, it will NOT be level due to the roundness of the earth.

Better yet, try going from the North pole to the South pole. I can
guarantee it wont work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 13, 10:06 pm, wrote:
Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

Why not just use a gun with a laser sight. You point it
at the distant object to find the proper height and pull
the trigger. It saves having to walk all the way to the object to
mark it. I'm jus' sayin' ........

That would have worked in the 20th century or before. But in the 21st
century you would be arrested because a mouse, fly, or bird got killed
from the gunshot. And the shooter would be charged for being a
terrorist, and would have to face the FBI CIA and Dept of Homeland
Security. They would search the entire construction site for bombs, and
other weapons and explosives. Then a team of psychiatrists would have
to evaluate the shooter, and 20 years of mental health care would be
required after the prison term. In the meantime, all schools, shopping
malls and gas stations within 200 miles would be placed on lockdown for
several weeks. Then the NRA would write a lengthy article boasting
their presence and state that guns should be used for all construction
projects.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 14, 1:02 pm, CRNG wrote:

Well, what you are saying takes no account of the physics and
trajectory of a bullet fired from a gun. It's is nowhere near a
straight line.

Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally
accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance
of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet
or a laser becomes academic.
Besides, it would be a lot of fun......although, if one had
to sight a row of fence posts, it would take a lot of
ammunition......

You are a moron if you consider the effects of gravity on a bullet and a
laser beam as being anywhere near similar to each other. Then there is the
effect of the bullet spin on it's trajectory.

Try reading a 6th grade physics book.

Try reading a HUMOR book.

I'll second that!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 12:45 am, wrote:

That would have worked in the 20th century or before. But in the 21st
century you would be arrested because a mouse, fly, or bird got killed
from the gunshot. And the shooter would be charged for being a
terrorist, and would have to face the FBI CIA and Dept of Homeland
Security. They would search the entire construction site for bombs, and
other weapons and explosives. Then a team of psychiatrists would have
to evaluate the shooter, and 20 years of mental health care would be
required after the prison term. In the meantime, all schools, shopping
malls and gas stations within 200 miles would be placed on lockdown for
several weeks. Then the NRA would write a lengthy article boasting
their presence and state that guns should be used for all construction
projects.....

Yes, there are a few undesirable side effects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 15, 6:14 pm, wrote:

Actually, no. Gravity bent space itself. You are observing artifacts
of that.

Ok... Gravity bent space, and space bent the light path.....

On the other hand, we all know that heat rising makes the path
of light waver, as happens when watching a distant object in
the desert or over hot pavement...

Perhaps gravity doesn't actually "bend" space, and it was the hot
air from the sun that made the star jump...... Pehaps Einstein
was wrong........
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:38:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Gravity also "bends" light, so the laser wouldn't be totally

accurate either. However, I suspect that over a distance

of , say, 100 feet or less, the problem with either a bullet

or a laser becomes academic.

Wrong. Gravity bends space itself, so the lines *will* come out

right.

Gravity isn't going to bend light or space over the range of a typical construction project.

However heat will. Warm air will definitely refract a laser beam enough to throw your measurements off. It's the reason a laser can't be trusted to get tunnels from each end to meet in the middle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2013 12:35:52 -0700 (PDT), Robert
wrote:

On May 15, 6:14 pm, wrote:

Actually, no. Gravity bent space itself. You are observing artifacts
of that.

Ok... Gravity bent space, and space bent the light path.....

Since the light's path is through space...

On the other hand, we all know that heat rising makes the path
of light waver, as happens when watching a distant object in
the desert or over hot pavement...

Refraction.

Perhaps gravity doesn't actually "bend" space, and it was the hot
air from the sun that made the star jump...... Pehaps Einstein
was wrong........

Perhaps but I'd like to have is record of predictions. I'd buy a
PowerBall ticket.