Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat[_9_] Pat[_9_] is offline

Default Home made laser level

On Tue, 14 May 2013 06:03:40 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

On Mon, 13 May 2013 22:06:05 -0500, wrote in
Re Home made laser level:

Has anyone ever taped a laser pointer to a level?
Seems it should work as long as the pointer has smooth sides.

Just curious after another post on here about them.

There is no guarantee (or even a claim) that the beam of a laser
pointer is parallel to the smooth sides of the pointer.

True, but if you took the time calibrate it (ie, insure the beam is
parallel) with some other level, it should work. Of course, you have
to account for the width of the bubble level it is attached to - eg,
the dot will appear 2" higher than level if the laser is mounted on
top of a 2" wide bubble level. As others have said, laser levels are
just a tool that come in handy in certain situations. Regular levels
and water levels are often easier to use and don't require batteries.
Same with laser distance measuring devices. I love mine, but I sure
wouldn't throw my tape measure or 6' rule away. ...Pat