Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Patching

I have a bad driveway with cracks and missing spots. I am wanting to repair everything the best I can before sealing without having someone have to come in and redo the whole driveway. Here is a picture of one bad spot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...riveway2a.jpg/

Is there a concoction or something I can use to pour into these areas to harden that will make a permanent repair? I know they make liquid crack filler I saw at lowes, but it basically says it is "semi permanent". THey have a box of "permanent" repair material but it just feels like Hard asphault and not sure houw you would mold it to the correct shape.

Could I fill the crackes with liquid concrete then top with the liquid crack filler? Is there some how a way to make a liquid asphault at home to pur in the areas? I have a large propane burner.

I appreciate any help!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 9:10*am, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:
Is there a concoction or something I can use to pour into these areas to ha=
rden that will make a permanent repair?

No - the right way to fix it is to dig out the cracked area, make sure the base
is good and replace with hotmix. ANything else is going to be temporary.

And how many areas are there where it's alligatored like that?
If it's extensive, the driveway is old, then the real solution is new
asphalt. But if it's not real bad, using the crack filler products
available at the home centers will likely make it look better and
last a couple years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 13, 2013 7:43:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have a bad driveway with cracks and missing spots. I am wanting to repair everything the best I can before sealing without having someone have to come in and redo the whole driveway. Here is a picture of one bad spot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...riveway2a.jpg/

Is there a concoction or something I can use to pour into these areas to harden that will make a permanent repair? I know they make liquid crack filler I saw at lowes, but it basically says it is "semi permanent". THey have a box of "permanent" repair material but it just feels like Hard asphault and not sure houw you would mold it to the correct shape.

Could I fill the crackes with liquid concrete then top with the liquid crack filler? Is there some how a way to make a liquid asphault at home to pur in the areas? I have a large propane burner.

I appreciate any help!

The driveway is about 16 years old. I just dont have the thousands of dollars to redo it.

Is there a permanent solution a guy could do at home?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 13, 10:07*am, wrote:
[...]

We can't tell from one pic of one small area. Alligatoring like that
over extensive areas is a sign that it's nearing the end of
it's life. You can use crack filler products to get some more life
out
of it, but it's not a "permanent" solution. It will look much better
for
another few years. On the other hand, if
it's just an isolated spot like that or two that failed because of
something particular to just those areas, eg the base wasn't compacted
enough, etc, then you could cut out the asphalt in those area and
put in cold patch. I've used cold patch in areas and done right,
it's lasted 10+ years. Hot patch that Robert recommended is
definitely better, but usually not available for DIY.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2013 10:32 AM, wrote:
On May 13, 10:07 am, wrote:
[...]

I nursed mine along for years with crack fillers and sealants.
Had it redone a couple of years ago and resurfacer dug up spots like
this, and added stone filler before adding new asphalt. Don't think you
can ever get it to look uncracked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I have a bad driveway with cracks and missing spots. I am wanting to
repair everything the best I can before sealing without having someone
have to come in and redo the whole driveway. Here is a picture of one bad
spot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...riveway2a.jpg/

Is there a concoction or something I can use to pour into these areas to
harden that will make a permanent repair? I know they make liquid crack
filler I saw at lowes, but it basically says it is "semi permanent". THey
have a box of "permanent" repair material but it just feels like Hard
asphault and not sure houw you would mold it to the correct shape.

Could I fill the crackes with liquid concrete then top with the liquid
crack filler? Is there some how a way to make a liquid asphault at home
to pur in the areas? I have a large propane burner.

I appreciate any help!

I use fibered roofing tar. Some sand in deep holes first. Use in sun.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 13, 2013 9:01:01 PM UTC-5, Gz wrote:
wrote:

I have a bad driveway with cracks and missing spots. I am wanting to

repair everything the best I can before sealing without having someone

have to come in and redo the whole driveway. Here is a picture of one bad

spot: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...riveway2a.jpg/

I wondered about this as it looks very flexible and waterprood. Does it hold up?

Is there a concoction or something I can use to pour into these areas to

harden that will make a permanent repair? I know they make liquid crack

filler I saw at lowes, but it basically says it is "semi permanent". THey

have a box of "permanent" repair material but it just feels like Hard

asphault and not sure houw you would mold it to the correct shape.

Could I fill the crackes with liquid concrete then top with the liquid

crack filler? Is there some how a way to make a liquid asphault at home

to pur in the areas? I have a large propane burner.

I appreciate any help!

I use fibered roofing tar. Some sand in deep holes first. Use in sun.

Greg

Concrete driveway cleaning and patching miamicuse Home Repair 6 December 22nd 13 12:10 AM
Patching driveway Bill[_18_] UK diy 1 April 3rd 11 06:26 PM
driveway patching Chris Home Repair 3 August 7th 07 04:56 PM
Patching ashpalt driveway? N8N Home Repair 3 April 3rd 07 07:08 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM