Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaking fuel from mower

I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 12:36:10 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

Whoa, there fella. You have given us way too much information to
answer that question. Sorry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.

I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

Whoa, there fella. You have given us way too much information to

answer that question. Sorry.

That's a first. Way to much info. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/27/2013 12:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

I'd spray some WD-40 on it if it was me, that usually fixes things.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

Whoa, there fella. You have given us way too much information to
answer that question. Sorry.

And he is clearly in the wrong place. This group is for endless
pointless arguments. One extremist starts out proclaiming something that
is a mindless belief for them to be followed by a long chain of other
extremists ping ponging "you are stupid" "no you are stupid.

The OP might be better off going say he

http://www.selfhelpforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

or he

http://www.landscapejuicenetwork.com...istForCategory

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:09:09 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

Whoa, there fella. You have given us way too much information to

answer that question. Sorry.

That's a first. Way to much info. :-)

Andy

Is the float filled with gas ... "sunken float"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 17:10:46 -0400, George
wrote:

And he is clearly in the wrong place. This group is for endless
pointless arguments. One extremist starts out proclaiming something that
is a mindless belief for them to be followed by a long chain of other
extremists ping ponging "you are stupid" "no you are stupid.

.... and then we also have posters trying to herd cats, be a hall
monitor and trying to do things they cannot achieve to stop it. Some
get obsessed about it.

If those people wanted a *prefect group*, this is the wrong place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:08:39 PM UTC-5, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 04/27/2013 12:36 PM, Andy wrote:

I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.

I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

I'd spray some WD-40 on it if it was me, that usually fixes things.

Jon

WD-40 would clean up some dirt, but not help with my problem.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 15:38:11 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 4:08:39 PM UTC-5, Jon Danniken wrote:
On 04/27/2013 12:36 PM, Andy wrote:

I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.

I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

I'd spray some WD-40 on it if it was me, that usually fixes things.

Jon

WD-40 would clean up some dirt, but not help with my problem.

Then the solution is obviously duct tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

WD-40 would clean up some dirt, but not help with my problem.

Andy

Pull the float, shake for liquid inside (gas), inspect the needle
(rubber tip) for damage.

It the rubber tip* is damaged (obvious) or seat -- replace it. Gas
can leak past the needle if not closed.

*
Sample rubber tip..

http://www.industrycortex.com/files/6/161882/1504583192.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 21:21:47 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's very possible that gasoline has seeped into the float. Try shake it, listen for liquid. You may need to replace the float.

The Mormon top posted and caused an echo of what I said.

Evidence he reads my postings. (said he plonked me)

I bet he never saw a sunken float (TM) ... if so, he can now tell the
world HOW it happens!!

He waits for a reasonable answer and tries to tag on like he knows
what he is talking about. Talks about guns and doesn't even own one.

Never an original idea or thought, right Mormon? Take your best shot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 2:36*pm, Andy wrote:
I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

If the mower previously was working ok, and then sat idle for a few
months, the needle valve shutoff area may be clogged with gunk..
Carburetor cleaner on everything would be what I would try. Can you
see gas going into the intake manifold when the carburetor is
assembled and you put gas in the tank? If you can, and you have
sprayed cleaner on everything in sight, your float may be gasoline
sogged and you will nbe a new one. You should tell us the engine
mfgr, engine size, two-storke or 4-stroke, any id on the carburetor
that you can see.

IF you can do that, you might start to get some sensible comments
instead of frustrated older guys who don't like anything and do like
to complain to the whole world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04-27-2013 17:45, Oren wrote:
If those people wanted a*prefect group*, this is the wrong place.

We have a lot of people trying to be prefects.

yeah, yeah, I just proved your point. :-)

--
Wes Groleau

A pessimist says the glass is half empty.
An optimist says the glass is half full.
An engineer says somebody made the glass
twice as big as it needed to be.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 27, 3:36*pm, Andy wrote:
I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

Before attempting adjustment, I'd investigate to find
out what's really going on. It seems odd that if it's been
OK since day one that suddenly the leaking gas is due
to the float being misadjusted. I guess it's possible, but
first I'd rule out that it's not sticking, the float valve isn't
rusted, gunked up, filled with gas, etc. As far as adjusting,
all the ones I've seen you do by bending them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And he is clearly in the wrong place. This group is for endless
pointless arguments. One extremist starts out proclaiming something that
is a mindless belief for them to be followed by a long chain of other
extremists ping ponging "you are stupid" "no you are stupid.

... and then we also have posters trying to herd cats, be a hall
monitor and trying to do things they cannot achieve to stop it. Some
get obsessed about it.

If those people wanted a *prefect group*, this is the wrong place.

Perhaps you meant "perfect" . No one expects perfect. Reasonable is just
fine. As I suggested in my post there are other places the OP may want
to check that meet the criteria of reasonable where 80% of the posts
don't consist of pointless extremist "you're stupid" "no you're stupid"
posts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And he is clearly in the wrong place. This group is for endless
pointless arguments. One extremist starts out proclaiming something that
is a mindless belief for them to be followed by a long chain of other
extremists ping ponging "you are stupid" "no you are stupid.

... and then we also have posters trying to herd cats, be a hall
monitor and trying to do things they cannot achieve to stop it. Some
get obsessed about it.

If those people wanted a *prefect group*, this is the wrong place.

Perhaps you meant "perfect" . No one expects perfect. Reasonable is just
fine. As I suggested in my post there are other places the OP may want
to check that meet the criteria of reasonable where 80% of the posts
don't consist of pointless extremist "you're stupid" "no you're stupid"
posts.

I suggest you find a group that more suits your needs, then. ...or is
a place to whine what you're really looking for?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Was Leaking fuel from mower. Now, pointless battles

George writes:

Sounds like my observations are a little too close to home?

Just think of the good you could have done if you had this guy
in your kill file where he belongs.

What good?

Well, all of us that care about home repair would have working
kill files.

You can't win. Please, don't even try, it's pointless.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, April 27, 2013 2:36:10 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.

I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

Thanks for all the replies.

It turned out that the bowl gasket was dirty and stretched.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/27/2013 2:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

I don't agree with your diagnosis. You didn't tell anyone what brand
engine. Some float needles have a rubber tip that seals off the fuel.
Most Briggs and Stratton have a red o-ring up in the fuel tube that the
tip of the needle seals against. It is unusual but not unheard of to
replace this red o-ring and/or float needle. If the float does not have
a hole in it and it moves freely on its pivot pin, it should seal off
the fuel just fine. If it is a Briggs, make sure you clean the cross
hole at the bottom of the bolt that holds the fuel bowl on. A bit of
carb cleaner through all passages while the carb is off and a good seal
against the block when reinstalling should fix fuel issues.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven