Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@sbcglobal.net is offline

Default Leaking fuel from mower

On Apr 27, 2:36*pm, Andy wrote:
I am rusty with carburetors.

I found gas in the bottom of the air filter holder for a sears mower.

Took the fuel bowl off.
I think I need to adjust the float but the float is plastic with no adjustment tab.

In the old days, I think the "tang" could be adjusted.

I want to adjust the needle so it makes contact sooner to stop the gas flow.

Any other way to adjust it ?

Thanks.

If the mower previously was working ok, and then sat idle for a few
months, the needle valve shutoff area may be clogged with gunk..
Carburetor cleaner on everything would be what I would try. Can you
see gas going into the intake manifold when the carburetor is
assembled and you put gas in the tank? If you can, and you have
sprayed cleaner on everything in sight, your float may be gasoline
sogged and you will nbe a new one. You should tell us the engine
mfgr, engine size, two-storke or 4-stroke, any id on the carburetor
that you can see.

IF you can do that, you might start to get some sensible comments
instead of frustrated older guys who don't like anything and do like
to complain to the whole world.