Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Teacher Suspended For Showing Kids Pliers

Metspitzer wrote in
:

As he displayed the box cutter

From where did utility knives get the silly name "box cutter"? And how come
I only ever see this phrase in the media? Is it because the only time
reporters have ever seen a utility knife is in the grocery store?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote in
:

As he displayed the box cutter

From where did utility knives get the silly name "box cutter"? And how
come
I only ever see this phrase in the media? Is it because the only time
reporters have ever seen a utility knife is in the grocery store?

I don't know what they use to open the boxes with now in the stores. About
45 years ago when I was a stock boy in a grocery store we had box cutters.
There were several designs, but they were made to have a single edge razor
blade in them. They were often made of a relative flat piece of steel that
held the blade and there was another flat tube that held that part. You
pulled the blade holder up into the sheath part when not in use and a tap on
the leg would extend the blade part when needed. Most often it was held in
then hand so that you put your thumb over the top of the box an used it as a
guide.

Could make a dandy weapon for making shallow cuts about an inch or so deep.
It was about 4 or 5 inches long with the blade extended.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

when I was a stock boy in a grocery store we had
box cutters.

But did you call them "box cutters" or "utility knives"?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

The real crime is that the kids aren't learning to use the tools, only watching someone else demonstrate them.

Starting in third grade we had shop class.

Just checked my former school system's curriculum. They still have art, but no shop.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tegger" wrote in message
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

when I was a stock boy in a grocery store we had
box cutters.

But did you call them "box cutters" or "utility knives"?

Yes, we called them box cutters. Staples has them for sell now, listed as
box cutter.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Box-C...product_506873

Item: 506873 Model: 17548-CC/610137

This one is shown as the blade extended. It will push back up in the outer
part to make it safe to carry. It is mainly for cutting cardboard boxes.

The utility knives are much heavier and use a differant type of blade. Made
to cut much thicker material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

"Tegger" wrote in message
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
m:

when I was a stock boy in a grocery store we had
box cutters.

But did you call them "box cutters" or "utility knives"?

Yes, we called them box cutters. Staples has them for sell now,
listed as box cutter.
http://www.staples.com/Staples-Box-C...product_506873

Item: 506873 Model: 17548-CC/610137

I see that on the same page they are also described as
"Portable pocket-size utility knife".

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:20:11 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Tegger" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote in
:

As he displayed the box cutter

From where did utility knives get the silly name "box cutter"? And how
come
[...]

I have in my tool box a couple of those "box cutters". Exactly as you
describe.

Pic: (calls it "carton cutter"

http://www.quickship.com/images/office_supplies/oic-single-sided-razor-blade-carton-cutter-pic1.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 23:35:39 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in
om:

when I was a stock boy in a grocery store we had
box cutters.

But did you call them "box cutters" or "utility knives"?

We called the box cutters because that is what they were designed to
do. The ones we used gave minimal exposure of the blade so you could
cut the box and not the contents. They were not utility knives and
could not perform the same tasks. This was 50 years ago for me. They
may be different now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 23, 4:09*pm, Tegger wrote:
Metspitzer wrote :

As he displayed the box cutter

From where did utility knives get the silly name "box cutter"? And how come
I only ever see this phrase in the media? Is it because the only time
reporters have ever seen a utility knife is in the grocery store?

--
Tegger

When I was introduced to this knife, it was called a 'matting knife'
and we were even shown how to properly use it. As in, don't try to
make the cut with a single stroke, cut over and over until through the
material.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 18:53:25 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 19:20:11 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Tegger" wrote in message
Metspitzer wrote in
:

As he displayed the box cutter

From where did utility knives get the silly name "box cutter"? And how
come
[...]

The first "box cutters" I saw had the blade set parallel, and about
1/2" down from a flat plate. The blade protruded about 1/4" from the
handle. The idea was to only cut the box (thus only 1/4" of blade
protruding) about 1/2" down from the top. Basically, it decapitated
the box. What's now known as "box cutters", I've always known as
"utility knives", including the one shown above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:38:31 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

wrote in :

What's now known as "box cutters", I've always known as
"utility knives", including the one shown above.

I've been using utility knives almost daily since 1980 (OLFA L-series is my
favorite). I had never heard or seen ANY type of utility knife referred to
as "box cutters" until after 9/11.

Technically, a "box cutter" is the little spring loaded flip-out
key-tag knife that allows you to extend the blade with your thumb to
open a box, and the blade automagically retracts into the case so you
can safely put it back in your pocket. like this:
http://www.trigoninternational.ca/wp...ty-Cutter-Key-
or like this:
http://blog.sndimg.com/hgtv/design/f...box-cutter.jpg

What everybody refers to as a box cutter today is a utility knife

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also called Muslim boarding pass.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message ...

Razor edged airliner hijack implementation devices. ^_^

They get the Muslim Seal of Approval!

Razor Edged Airliner Hijack Implementation Devices, REAHID, it even
looks and sounds like an Arabic word. ^_^

TDD