Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Possible to replace bearings in pond pump?

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the motor bearings in
this type of pump?

http://www.pondusa.com/pm02670l.jpg

It started tripping the GFCI when I plug it in, so I took it apart and
I got it to at least run now, but it goes slower and vibrates, then
begins to overheat. Do you think it's possible to fix?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2013 4:19 PM, mshaffer wrote:
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the motor bearings in
this type of pump?

http://www.pondusa.com/pm02670l.jpg

It started tripping the GFCI when I plug it in, so I took it apart and
I got it to at least run now, but it goes slower and vibrates, then
begins to overheat. Do you think it's possible to fix?

Bearings are not going to cause a ground fault to trip, so what did you
do to repair the problem, and how do you know that the tripping problem
is solved?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/21/2013 01:19 PM, mshaffer wrote:
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the motor bearings in
this type of pump?

http://www.pondusa.com/pm02670l.jpg

It started tripping the GFCI when I plug it in, so I took it apart and
I got it to at least run now, but it goes slower and vibrates, then
begins to overheat. Do you think it's possible to fix?

You say you "took it apart", and yet the only image you have to offer is
one of a plastic enclosure.

Unfortunately, my x-ray device for scanning internet pictures is not
working at the time, so I am unable to provide you an answer.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 2:18*pm, Jon Danniken
wrote:
On 04/21/2013 01:19 PM, mshaffer wrote:

Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the motor bearings in
this type of pump?

http://www.pondusa.com/pm02670l.jpg

It started tripping the GFCI when I plug it in, so I took it apart and
I got it to at least run now, but it goes slower and vibrates, then
begins to overheat. Do you think it's possible to fix?

You say you "took it apart", and yet the only image you have to offer is
one of a plastic enclosure.

Unfortunately, my x-ray device for scanning internet pictures is not
working at the time, so I am unable to provide you an answer.

Jon

I think this is probably OP's pump.

http://www.diywatergardening.com/480...fall-pump.html
http://www.dannermfg.com/Store/produ...PID-02670.aspx

How long in service? Duty cycle?

IMO doesn't like there is going to be mcuh repair opportunity ... worn
out?

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/21/2013 3:19 PM, mshaffer wrote:
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the motor bearings in
this type of pump?

http://www.pondusa.com/pm02670l.jpg

It started tripping the GFCI when I plug it in, so I took it apart and
I got it to at least run now, but it goes slower and vibrates, then
begins to overheat. Do you think it's possible to fix?

Take it apart and report back with more photos.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 4:32*pm, RBM wrote:
On 4/21/2013 4:19 PM, mshaffer wrote: Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the motor bearings in
this type of pump?

http://www.pondusa.com/pm02670l.jpg

It started tripping the GFCI when I plug it in, so I took it apart and
I got it to at least run now, but it goes slower and vibrates, then
begins to overheat. Do you think it's possible to fix?

Bearings are not going to cause a ground fault to trip, so what did you
do to repair the problem, and how do you know that the tripping problem
is solved?

+1

A ground fault is tripped by current getting from the hot to ground,
ie where it should not be and should have nothing to do with bad
bearings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 14:34:23 -0700 (PDT), DD_BobK
wrote:

On Apr 21, 2:18*pm, Jon Danniken
wrote:
[...]

Looking at the PDF in your second link, states there is no lubrication
or meaningful maintenance. Basically says to just clean the impeller.
Senior Member

If you can get that motor out of the pump, I would just take it to any industrial supply place that sells electric motors. Whomever made that pump never made the motors for it; they just bought them off the shelf from any company that makes them.

If you look in your yellow pages under Electric Motors, you''ll find several companies that rewind/rebuild them, and anyone you talk to will know who sells small generic electric motors in town.

I have 42 ceiling fans in my building and the company that made them is no longer in business. But, I can still buy motors for those fans because they were a generic type that lots of companies made 50 years ago and lots still make today. I have to cut the impeller shaft an inch shorter and the cord about 2 feet shorter, but they fit well and work fine. It's likely you'll have to do some tweaks like that to get a $12 motor instead of having to special order an $80 motor from the pump manufacturer.

Besides, it'll probably take longer and cost more to get new motor bearings for a generic motor than it would to replace it with a new motor.

Last edited by nestork : April 22nd 13 at 01:14 AM

Pond pump trips RCD Peter M UK diy 25 September 19th 19 09:16 PM
pond pump repair help Dan K Home Repair 4 August 14th 08 05:55 AM
Pond Pump problem hemyd Electronics Repair 0 August 26th 07 10:09 AM
Garden Pond Pump Horse With No Name UK diy 4 May 3rd 07 08:32 AM
pumping antifreeze with a pond pump [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 17th 05 10:22 PM