Junior Member

Default Lawn trouble

We haven't been in our house long and the lawn is a bit patchy, some bits are basically bare earth and the rest is really pale. I've though about re-seeding but don't want to spend the time and money if there's something wrong, like a disease or something.
Any suggestions? A friend suggested getting someone in to have a look, this kind of thing TruGreen Poughkeepsie, NY Lawn Care | 1-855-545-4240 so that it can get properly assessed.

Never had much of a garden before, there are quite a few shrubs etc that seem ok so it would be a shame to let the lawn go.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

(http://www.greenlawncare.net/locatio...ghkeepsie.html) so
that it can get properly assessed.

Never had much of a garden before, there are quite a few shrubs etc
that seem ok so it would be a shame to let the lawn go.

Chances are, it purely a problem of neglect. If you seed, water, and fertilize
properly, it will probably do fine. If you are going to seed it, do it ASAP,
before the summer heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 11:13*am, "Bob F" wrote:
ChloeP wrote:
We haven't been in our house long and the lawn is a bit patchy, some
bits are basically bare earth and the rest is really pale. I've though
about re-seeding but don't want to spend the time and money if there's
something wrong, like a disease or something.
Any suggestions? A friend suggested getting someone in to have a look,
this kind of thing
that it can get properly assessed.

Never had much of a garden before, there are quite a few shrubs etc
that seem ok so it would be a shame to let the lawn go.

Chances are, it purely a problem of neglect. If you seed, water, and fertilize
properly, it will probably do fine. If you are going to seed it, do it ASAP,
before the summer heat.

Chances are when someone posts a link to a lawncare
business and also their phone number, it's spam. And
you just reposted the whole thing for them......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:21:33 +0000, ChloeP
wrote:

Any suggestions?

http://blogs.cornell.edu/horticulture/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/18/2013 7:21 AM, ChloeP wrote:
We haven't been in our house long and the lawn is a bit patchy, some
bits are basically bare earth and the rest is really pale. I've though
about re-seeding but don't want to spend the time and money if there's
something wrong, like a disease or something.
Any suggestions? A friend suggested getting someone in to have a look,
this kind of thing 'TruGreen Poughkeepsie, NY Lawn Care |
1-855-545-4240'
(http://www.greenlawncare.net/locatio...ghkeepsie.html) so
that it can get properly assessed.

Never had much of a garden before, there are quite a few shrubs etc that
seem ok so it would be a shame to let the lawn go.

Thanks.

My experience with TruGreen is that they sell only monthly treatments of
whatever chemical they want you to have....I've always gone for least
possible chem. to keep the lawn looking decent, and am presently
planning on landscaping our newly acquired yard to cut way back on lawn
area....riding mower or walk-behind and lots of shrubs and perennials )

Seed largest bare area. If you have healthy shrubs, chances are the
soil is adequate. I'd put attention to proper watering, mowing and
feeding and not overdoing any of those. Don't mow to short, as it
allows soil to dry faster and promotes weed growth. If the grass is
pale, it might need fert. or iron. Don't fertilize during hot, dry
weather. Water sufficiently once a week, not a squirt every day. Early
am is best to conserve water and keep grass from getting diseases from
being wet too much of the time.

Local/county/state extension services have lots of resources on caring
for landscaping, rec. plants, id pests, and often have soil testing
services available. My ext. serv. in Florida even had an entomologist
on staff to id bugs and rec. treatment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.ccedutchess.org/gardening...e-hotline-open
Posted to alt.home.repair

--
ChloeP

Many problems with lawns revolve around inadequate drainage and soil
nutrient depletion.