Posted to alt.english.usage,rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

Default Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vscollage

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

Posted to alt.english.usage,rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

"Danny D." wrote:

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

No.

What you see is the USA being flushed down the toilet.
Posted to alt.english.usage,rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:11:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

You could call them "composites".

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
Posted to alt.english.usage,rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

On 2013-04-14 12:11:04 -0700, "Danny D." said:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

I would say that those are a montage.
They are individual photographs arranged on a background. They are not
arranged to create another image from parts of each as I would expect
in a collage. They are not laid out tile-like to form a pattern or
image as one might expect with a mosaic construction.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Posted to alt.english.usage,rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

Danny D. wrote:
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what
context. Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably
could also add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

To me - an former photographer - they are montages because they form a
continuous whole.

If I printed each image individually and pasted them up they would be a
collage. It is a continuous whole but made of obviously separate elements
which could be separated into individual elements again.

If I made tiles of various sizes, shapes and colors and formed them into
your image I would call it a mosaic.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.english.usage,rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what
context. Does you wish to create one and not the other? You
probably could also add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/12671632.png

Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

You could call them "composites".

That works too

Best choice IMO/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.english.usage,rec.photo.digital,alt.home.repair

replying to dadiOH, Burt wrote:
A collage is a group of images (such as pieces of colored paper) arranged on a
background (such as a piece of drawing paper or a canvas). Once the collage
is made, it stays the same. Montage is a film or movie term and is a
succession of images that change over time. That's the basic difference
between collage and montage... . . .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...vs-744654-.htm

O/T: Last Word Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 17 November 14th 12 05:32 PM
A word of warning about HD cab ply [email protected] Woodworking 20 July 14th 11 10:42 PM
TOT; Word Doc The Medway Handyman UK diy 57 September 20th 09 07:12 PM
A word of thanks Dr. Deb Woodworking 2 July 27th 08 07:09 PM
word love rangga Home Repair 0 April 21st 08 06:46 AM