Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Hose recommendations?

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/30/2013 4:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?

So far the never kink (not the brand) have kinked up on me repeatedly. I
wonder why the call it never kink.

My preference if you are looking for a very good hose would be a classic
rubber hose. I don't think they kink as easily since they are thicker.

Any commercial quality hose will treat you better.

--
Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?

I like those black rubber Craftsman lifetime warranty hoses... been
using them for eons. Nice thing is that no receipt is necessary for
warranty replacement, just bring it in.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-5...er/p-071696050
00P?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=G11

(Sorry for the long link, fix as necessary)

A little pricy, but unless Sears goes under, it'll be the last one you
buy.

They also have for real (nickel plated) machined brass fittings as
opposed to the typical stamped sheet brass ones that get bent out of
round, and/or crack in the bottom of the male end threads.

Far as kinks go, if you lay the hose out in a figure "8" pattern, your
kinking issues will for all practical purposes vanish. Most anything
will kink if merely coiled. Those hand crank type reels are ok as well,
but not the wall mount stationary "hanger" type... they're just as bad
as coiling on the ground. (Also, when you get a new hose, first roll it
all the way out, as opposed to flopping the coil down, and pulling.)

Sears seems to be pretty liberal far as the warranty goes... I've taken
back several through the years, almost exclusively due to my gardeners
abuse, but even so, they stand up as well as any!

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
woodchucker wrote:

On 3/30/2013 4:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?

So far the never kink (not the brand) have kinked up on me repeatedly. I
wonder why the call it never kink.

That is my experience, too. They seem to kink more.

the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 1:18:11 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see
Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.

Anyone have experience with them?

Regular black rubber Sears Craftsman hose, 100' long, $33 + tax
(no charge for in-store pickup), no need to return it to the manufacturer
for warranty claims:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...11042411&aff=Y

Those never-kink hoses still kink, and most are made of vinyl instead
of EPDM rubber, the kind of rubber used for car radiator hoses and
roofing and that's highly resistant to ozone and ultraviolet. I've never
seen the rubber of one of those Sears black hoses fail, and that includes
hoses my parents have owned. It was always the stamped steel fittings
that failed due to rust or from being crushed. However those hoses now
instead have machined brass fittings (chrome or nickel plated).

Do what Erik said about winding the hose into a figure-8.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Erik:
I like those black rubber Craftsman lifetime warranty hoses... been
using them for eons. Nice thing is that no receipt is necessary for
warranty replacement, just bring it in.

20+ years ago, I gave one of ours (that already had about five years on
it...) to my son-in-law for use at his gas station/garage/used car lot.

And it's still in service, no breaks or other problems.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:56:04 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Considering all the comments and Erik's experience as well as yours, I
ordered this one. On sale for $33 too, so not a big loss if I have a
problem. I'll pick it up when I get by the store in a couple of days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?

I have grown fond of the heavy Goodyear ones. They last a very long time,
and can take a lot of abuse. They are not your garden variety hose, being
bigger and heavier than most, but they do last. I know I said that already,
but in this case, it bears repeating.

steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think you'll like it. I didn't realize there was a lifetime Craftsman
hose. I have never had one of my Goodyear ones fail, so don't know about
their replacement policies.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 17:18:17 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

So far the never kink (not the brand) have kinked up on me repeatedly. I
wonder why the call it never kink.

Because they want your money, and know most people believe all the false
claims by advertisers. ALL hoses kink at least occasionally. They get
stuck on who knows what, and in certain conditions they kink. But a
good quality hose wont retain the kink, whereas a cheap hose will
develop a weak spot where it kinked, and will always kink at that spot
in the future. I think that is how the advertisers avoid lawsuits. "If
the hose kinks, but dont retain the kink, then they can claim it's a "NO
KINK" hose"..... (Just a guess!)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 06:44:36 -0600, wrote:

Regular black rubber Sears Craftsman hose, 100' long, $33 + tax
(no charge for in-store pickup), no need to return it to the manufacturer
for warranty claims:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...11042411&aff=Y

Considering all the comments and Erik's experience as well as yours, I
ordered this one. On sale for $33 too, so not a big loss if I have a
problem. I'll pick it up when I get by the store in a couple of days.

I'd like to order one too, for $33, but I'm not seeing that sale price.
Their web lists it at $59.99. Where is that sale price?

It was right at the link. I have a feeling the sale was over at
midnight. I was going to wait and go to the store, but I ordered it
on line for pickup so I guess I got lucky for once.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 06:44:36 -0600, wrote:

Regular black rubber Sears Craftsman hose, 100' long, $33 + tax
(no charge for in-store pickup), no need to return it to the manufacturer
for warranty claims:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...84400010000100
675&PID=361116&AID=11042411&aff=Y

Considering all the comments and Erik's experience as well as yours, I
ordered this one. On sale for $33 too, so not a big loss if I have a
problem. I'll pick it up when I get by the store in a couple of days.

I'd like to order one too, for $33, but I'm not seeing that sale price.
Their web lists it at $59.99. Where is that sale price?

It was right at the link. I have a feeling the sale was over at
midnight. I was going to wait and go to the store, but I ordered it
on line for pickup so I guess I got lucky for once.

If anyone is interested, I'm pretty sure they also offer that same hose
in 25, 50 and 75 foot lengths. Beware that they sell other hoses that
run the whole quality gamut.

Also... back to the kinking. Pretty much anything will kink if just
coiled... hose, extension cords, rope etc. Every trip around the coil
adds another twist... it's just a fact of life, no matter how marketers
hype their product/s.

There are several ways to combat kinks. Probably the easiest in hose is
flaking it in a fig "8" pattern, or using a crank type hose reel. Those
who regularly work with long extension cords often chain stitch them.
For Microphone cords and small diameter rope/cord and the like, there is
a simple 'over/under' coiling method that eliminates kinking, saves time
and greatly increases cord life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1Wdc-ymbI

Parachute suspension lines are stowed back and forth usually held in
heavy rubber bands. Should anything hang, it'll just break a band and
everything continues. One big issue here is that if one or more stows
ever get loose early (called a "line dump" in the biz), a malfunction is
likely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGTc7CwEpiw

I've even heard of rescue lines that have just been stuffed into a
special bag that keeps the ends from becoming inner tangled. In use the
line plays out quick & clear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KwaR2HjnJU

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013 19:44:41 -0700, Erik wrote:

Also... back to the kinking. Pretty much anything will kink if just
coiled... hose, extension cords, rope etc. Every trip around the coil
adds another twist... it's just a fact of life, no matter how marketers
hype their product/s.

There are several ways to combat kinks. Probably the easiest in hose is

Ya know what really ****es me off......
Kinks in light bulbs!

The old lightbulbs were always round and they never kinked. Now they
got those florescent things, which when they first came out were
straight tubes. Then they did something to them and now they are all
twisted and kinked. That really plays havoc on my electric bill,
because it takes a lot more power to push the electrons thru a kinked
lightbulb, and thus we all pay more money for electricity.

This is even worse than parking your car on top of an extension cord.
Try this sometime. Measure the voltage at the end of a plugged in
extension cord and it should be 110 to 120 volts AC (in the USA). Now
park your car tire on the cord, and measure the voltage. It wont be
even close to 110 or so. You might get 70 volts, or more likely 30 to
50 volts (or less). It's the same as parking on a hose, you restrict
the flow by kinking and/or crushing it enough to stop the flow.
Whatever you do, dont try to plug in any motor or power tool into that
restricted cord, or you will likely damage the motor, or it just wont
run. You can however plug in a trouble light and note the very dim
light coming from the bulb. This is because the flow of electricity has
been greatly reduced, or possibly even stopped, until you remove your
car tire from on top of the cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/30/2013 01:18 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?

I bought the Gilmour flexogen a couple of years ago and have been very
happy with it. It's 8 ply, and comes with a lifetime warranty; if you
want to get a replacement just mail them in the hose ends and you'll get
a new hose. Works for me.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why such a long length? I find 50s to be a lot easier to handle. Years ago,
I bought a couple 50 footers, which get drained every fall, and hung on the
air conditioner bracket.

I bought a couple rolls of "stores flat" hose in reel holders, at Ace
hardware. Figured I'd need more hose for roof AC cleaning jobs. I carried
them for about two years, before I used them. Sigh.

One roof AC cleaning I did a year or so ago, needed 310 feet of hose, from
the spigot at street level, across the mall roof, to the roof AC. My helper
had some hose, and so we had enough to reach, but barely. Since then, I've
gotten several 50 foot lengths from Harbor Freight, on close out and
coupons. I've not used them. Just like the roll flat hose I didn't use for
two years.

For the twice a year roof AC job, I'd probably have been better off to buy
some cheap nylon braided for eight bucks a length at Walmart. The vinyl hose
is useless, and kinks too much.

My parents use lifetime warranty Sears hose, which is heavy, but hasn't
kinked, yet, that I know of.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:18:11 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I'm looking for a 100' hose. I see Never Kink, Flexon, Flexogen.
Anyone have experience with them?

The couple of dollars difference in price is not a concern, I just was
something that will last a few years and not kink up in use.

Other brand?

Craftsman 5/8 in. x 100 ft. All Rubber Hose. Lifetime warranty - no
question asked replacement. I have 50' hoses. Replaced a few of the
earlier ones because the end connectors were damaged (cheap).

"Ideal for use in all conditions. Remains flexible to 25 deg. below
zero and withstands temperatures to 160 deg. F. Lifetime
[ALL_Warranty]. "

• New concave hexagonal shape
• Reinforced radial tire cord provides 500 psi burst strength
• Crush-proof brass coupler

The new coupler will not collates or become damaged like the earlier
ones did.

Never had one kink.

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-5-8-in-x-100-ft-all-rubber/p-07169605000P
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 09:46:47 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Why such a long length? I find 50s to be a lot easier to handle. Years ago,
I bought a couple 50 footers, which get drained every fall, and hung on the
air conditioner bracket.

I have a Rapid Reel hose reel and it easily holds 100'. Most of the
time I use about 75' or so for watering on the side of the house or
washing two cars one in front of the other. With the reel, kinking
is not a big problem as it winds up without twisting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And, with a 100 foot reel, you don't have to worry about the coupler
leaking, half way into the bundle?

I remember liking my parents lifetime warranty Sears hose, when I was
growing up. In a case like you have, I'd probably buy a 100 foot length of
medium quality hose from Walmart, and expect to replace it in ten years or
so.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

I have a Rapid Reel hose reel and it easily holds 100'. Most of the
time I use about 75' or so for watering on the side of the house or
washing two cars one in front of the other. With the reel, kinking
is not a big problem as it winds up without twisting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 2 Apr 2013 07:41:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

And, with a 100 foot reel, you don't have to worry about the coupler
leaking, half way into the bundle?

I remember liking my parents lifetime warranty Sears hose, when I was
growing up. In a case like you have, I'd probably buy a 100 foot length of
medium quality hose from Walmart, and expect to replace it in ten years or
so.
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

I picked up the Craftsman hose today. Looks well made with good hefty
ends on it. I'll get back to you in a few years to let you know if it
is holding up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Four years from Thursday, we'll do lunch?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Garden hose MiamiCuse Home Repair 22 July 16th 09 05:13 AM
Best Garden Hose Wayne Boatwright[_4_] Home Repair 17 May 23rd 09 07:25 PM
Hose adapter - Facuet to Garden Hose? MP Home Repair 7 July 26th 07 02:43 AM
How to fix my garden hose? Oscar_Lives Home Repair 5 April 21st 05 09:29 PM
Air Hose as Garden Hose?? Derek Metalworking 11 March 23rd 05 09:25 AM