Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT- Electric Blanket Controls Backwards

I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??
Posted to alt.home.repair

there should be a thorough investigation...

marc
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 08:44:45 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??

Seems backwards to me too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 3:31*pm, Red Green wrote:
" wrote in news:337abfe7-
:

I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. *My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. *Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??

Where was it made? South of the equator I bet?

Probably somewhere in China, brand name is Sunbeam. Two other
alectric blankets we have have the "more normal" left off, right on
arrangement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 8:44*am, "
wrote:
I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. *My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. *Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??

I thought there was something in the 'codes' mandating off to the left
on horizontal swidtches. But then I bought a cheap coffee makeer
(Proctor Silex) that is the most screwed up design I ever saw. I first
thought it was designed by a leftee...

1. Carafe has the volume markes ('cups') on the right side only so
ifyou are filling it for lesst than 12 cups you have to hold it in
your left hand...but then, due to the machines design, water can ony
be put in from the right hand side. So fill with left hand, swap to
right to pour in machine.

2. Rocker horizontal switch backward "off" on right.

3. Coffee filter basket has a convenient 'handle" sticking out to
lift it out. Yep, points to the back of the madhine and is on the
left again. Due to design it is a two handed operation, left hand lift
on handle, right hand pick up frot of basket or it will jam when
lifted only by the handle.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 17, 11:18*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:44*am, "

wrote:
[...]

Really makes you wonder what sort of folks design things, and who
approves them before they go to manufacture. Sometimes they appear to
be designed and approved by 2-year olds, no, make that 1-year olds.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Mar 17, 8:44 am, "
wrote:
I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??

I thought there was something in the 'codes' mandating off to the left
on horizontal swidtches. But then I bought a cheap coffee makeer
(Proctor Silex) that is the most screwed up design I ever saw. I first
thought it was designed by a leftee...

I don't know about the codes, but it could be differant in other parts of
the world. I was an electrician for a company and of all things some of the
inported large breaker cabinets were color coded backwards from the old US
standard. If it was red, it was on and dangerous to open and if green it
was off and save to enter. Backwards from the old US stuff.
Really confusing especially as this is in some 480 volt 3 phase stuff.

From what I have read, England light switches are installed upside down from
the US. That is most US light switches turn on when up and in England they
turn on when down.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 18, 2013 12:18:44 AM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:44*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Let's get the Feds involved and give up even more of our freedoms, right?

Then again maybe if we can convince them that they should spend their time making laws about which way a switch should operate, they will be too preoccupied to go after the important stuff...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??

Seems backwards to me too.

Yeah, I have some X10 wireless transmitters with an on button and an off
button for each of 8 channels/devices. On is on the left and Off is on
the right .... and it drives me nuts too. I thought it was just me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

There is a good reason for standardization of switch positions. Nice
to know how to operate in the dark., or for quick shut off in
emergency. Not all regulation is "bad" - some of it is for your own
good. Or are you against all the safe water, food regs?

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

good point!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??

Drink a fifth of Jim Beam Bourbon, wait 15 minutes, then try it again.
It will be the right way now!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Really makes you wonder what sort of folks design things, and who
approves them before they go to manufacture. *Sometimes they appear to
be designed and approved by 2-year olds, no, make that 1-year olds.

I agree...
Our Whirlpool stove has knobs that you turn clockwise to to Lower the
heat, opposite of the standard radio volume knob.

And even worse, the knob is labeled with numbers but the ends are
labeled with LO and HI so the sequence is

HI 8 6 4 2 LO.

With the printing so small and petite font, the LO looks a lot like 10
which makes it even more confusing.

You're right, the designers are idiots.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seems backwards to me too.

Yeah, I have some X10 wireless transmitters with an on button and an off
button for each of 8 channels/devices. *On is on the left and Off is on
the right .... and it drives me nuts too. *I thought it was just me.

I've been a ham operator for decades, and every transmitter I have
ever seen has a RED light for transmit.

I still press the RED button on my cell phone when I want to dial and
stare at it wondering why nothing happens.

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/22/2013 06:36 PM, Mark wrote:

I agree...
Our Whirlpool stove has knobs that you turn clockwise to to Lower the
heat, opposite of the standard radio volume knob.

And even worse, the knob is labeled with numbers but the ends are
labeled with LO and HI so the sequence is

HI 8 6 4 2 LO.

With the printing so small and petite font, the LO looks a lot like 10
which makes it even more confusing.

You're right, the designers are idiots.

Mark

I had a problem with the electric stove in an apartment I used to live
in. After cooking something, I turned the burner off but that was
actually high. The grease caught on fire, and the design of that kitchen
made the circuit breakers inaccessible without going right in front of
the stove (where if was much too hot and smoky).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Infidels in all ages have battled for the rights of man, and have at
all times been the fearless advocates of liberty and justice." [Robert
Green Ingersoll]