Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dennisgauge@gmail.com is offline

Default OT- Electric Blanket Controls Backwards

On Monday, March 18, 2013 12:18:44 AM UTC-4, Harry K wrote:
On Mar 17, 8:44*am, "
wrote:
I have an electric blanket with an off-on switch that seems
intuitively backwards.

When you look at the control, with the illuminated numbers on the
rotary dial in the correct alignment, so you see them right side up,
you depress the left side of the switch just below the dial to turn
the blanket on, and depress the right side of the switch to turn it
off. *My intuition is to depress the right side of the switch to turn
it on and the left side to turn it off. *Is this because I am right-
handed, or somehown grown up with a warped sense of on-off, or is it
really counter-intuitive??

I thought there was something in the 'codes' mandating off to the left
on horizontal swidtches. But then I bought a cheap coffee makeer
(Proctor Silex) that is the most screwed up design I ever saw. I first
thought it was designed by a leftee...

1. Carafe has the volume markes ('cups') on the right side only so
ifyou are filling it for lesst than 12 cups you have to hold it in
your left hand...but then, due to the machines design, water can ony
be put in from the right hand side. So fill with left hand, swap to
right to pour in machine.

2. Rocker horizontal switch backward "off" on right.

Let's get the Feds involved and give up even more of our freedoms, right?

Then again maybe if we can convince them that they should spend their time making laws about which way a switch should operate, they will be too preoccupied to go after the important stuff...