Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Medicine cabinet in powder room?

On 3/15/2013 4:30 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
I'm moving my first floor powder room. It is very small and for guests
only. Standard medicine cabinets are a bit large, but I could easily have a
small one made of mahogany. It would be recessed and match the paneling.

But is one needed? I could simply slap a mirror on the wall. Things one
would stock in a powder room are tissues and extra toilet paper. Neither
would fit in the medicine cabinet. If I put one in, what should I stock in
it? I could put packets of aspirin. Condoms are free in NYC. I could stock
them. But really there doesn't seem to be anything important enough to
stock there to justify having one.

What would you stock in one?

In my Ex-House, we had a powder room that was only about 45" x 45".
Originally, the door opened in and in order to close the door, you had
to put your butt over the top of the toilet and then swing the door
shut. I put a pocket door in that house right away. However, after
many years, we remodeled and I am proud of what was done. I put in a
pedestal sink in the corner with a corner mirror above it ... no
medicine cabinet behind it. Then on the toilet wall I put a stack of
cabinets, where the toilet wasn't and extended them over the toilet.
Nice for keeping towels, soap, TP, etc. Check out the pic:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11011...954?banner=pwa
BTW, the room only had a 7' ceiling (if that), but it all worked our
really well. Also, the hardest part of this whole thing was that the
toilet had to be moved 2" towards the door, in order to fit the cabinet
stack. It was a slab floor. I was going to just chisel out some of the
concrete and use an offset flange, however, the concrete wouldn't budge.
I had to rent an electric jack hammer ... did it in about 5 minutes.
I won't even get started on how I cut the cast iron pipe, to fit the
offset flange.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

I'd be proud, too! Outstanding job.

You should have taken this powder room with you when you moved !