Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Burning Stuff With 2000ºF Solar Power!!

"Melt a stack of pennies, burst a glass bottle, damage various food
items, and incinerate wood using the power of the Sun! This 4 foot
magnifying lens will melt concrete, and nearly anything else that gets
in its way."

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jrje73EyKag#!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:23:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Mar 13, 2:16*pm, Oren wrote:
"Melt a stack of pennies, burst a glass bottle, damage various food
items, and incinerate wood using the power of the Sun! This 4 foot
magnifying lens will melt concrete, and nearly anything else that gets
in its way."

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jrje73EyKag#!

Quite impressive. And all from an LCD TV screen?

Made from a Fresnel lens harvested from a rear projection television.
Free, of course. I'd be curious about using it for a pool heater :-\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFw7U7V1Hok

I like the part where to see if he can ignite gasoline he
takes the two gallon can and uses it to pour some on
to the hot surface...... No need for safety for this guy!

He has some other things he made, spot welder, stick welder (old
microwave parts), slow burn fuses, solid rocket fuel....

http://www.youtube.com/user/01032010814?feature=watch

Cool stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:19:54 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On last weekend's edition of Ask This Old House, they showed a house
where the vinyl siding was melted. According to Tom Silva, it was
caused by the sun reflecting off of a "high efficiency" window that
was at a right angle to the melted wall. The Low-E coating was doing
exactly what it was supposed to do.

He said it only takes 165 degrees to melt vinyl siding and the
reflected sun was well above that. His solution was to mount a screen
on the outside of the window to defuse the sunlight before it hit the
glass.

Vinyl siding is crap. A local house had a garage fire, and although the
garage was a distance from the house, all the siding on the house melted
on the garage side of the building. Worse yet, some of that vinyl
ignited. Fortunately the Fire Dept was able to make out the house
siding before setting the house on fire. Aluminum siding would not have
melted or ignited, and eI doubt wood siding would have ignited in this
case. You could not pay me to install vinyl siding, and that does not
include the fact that it's ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:16:14 -0700, Oren wrote:

"Melt a stack of pennies, burst a glass bottle, damage various food
items, and incinerate wood using the power of the Sun! This 4 foot
magnifying lens will melt concrete, and nearly anything else that gets
in its way."

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jrje73EyKag#!

Thanks-- I needed that. Super cool.
[and there are actually 2 Rear projection TVs on my local craigslist
free section!]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 14 Mar 2013 07:44:20 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:16:14 -0700, Oren wrote:

"Melt a stack of pennies, burst a glass bottle, damage various food
items, and incinerate wood using the power of the Sun! This 4 foot
magnifying lens will melt concrete, and nearly anything else that gets
in its way."

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jrje73EyKag#!

Thanks-- I needed that. Super cool.
[and there are actually 2 Rear projection TVs on my local craigslist
free section!]

Jim

I liked his video on making a spot welder and a stick welder from
1500W microwave oven parts (other link I posted). Clever stuff.