Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Key ident help, plz

This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small
silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. Any idea what they
could be for? I'm ready to toss em out. A friend has one with 'BELL'
on it and is similarly in the dark. Are these brand names maybe or a
key mfr?

Thanks for listening
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2013 10:52 AM, val189 wrote:
This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small
silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. Any idea what they
could be for? I'm ready to toss em out. A friend has one with 'BELL'
on it and is similarly in the dark. Are these brand names maybe or a
key mfr?

Thanks for listening

Silvertone could be for a guitar case and the one with BELL could be an
old Bell Telephone box key for something like a payphone or equipment
box. Without a picture of the keys, that's my SWAG. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 8, 12:22*pm, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 3/8/2013 10:52 AM, val189 wrote:

This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small
silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. *Any idea what they
could be for? *I'm ready to toss em out. *A friend has one with 'BELL'
on it and is similarly in the dark. *Are these brand names maybe or a
key mfr?

Thanks for listening

Silvertone could be for a guitar case and the one with BELL could be an
old Bell Telephone box key for something like a payphone or equipment
box. Without a picture of the keys, that's my SWAG. ^_^

TDD

I have never owned a guitar. The Sarasota key has a number S001
stamped on it.

Neither she nor anyone in her family ever worked for a telephone
company. I have no idea how long she's had that key, tho. Thanks for
the SWAG.
Posted to alt.home.repair

finger.net wrote:
[...]

The Sarasota may have been for a boat. See
http://www.dredgeharbor.com/shopexd.asp?id=198322&bc=no

Maybe the Bell was for a helicopter ?? ;-)
http://www.bellhelicopter.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

val189 wrote the following on 3/8/2013 11:52 AM (ET):
This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small
silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. Any idea what they
could be for? I'm ready to toss em out. A friend has one with 'BELL'
on it and is similarly in the dark. Are these brand names maybe or a
key mfr?

Thanks for listening

Maybe this for the Sarasota? Looks like a key for a fishing box.
http://www.basscatstore.com/locks-2.aspx

Try this for the Bell. Looks like for a bicycle lock.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bell+lock+keys

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2013 10:52 AM, val189 wrote:
This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small
silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. Any idea what they
could be for? I'm ready to toss em out. A friend has one with 'BELL'
on it and is similarly in the dark. Are these brand names maybe or a
key mfr?

Thanks for listening

You could try alt.locksmithing. It is really dead these days, but some
of the regulars probably still check it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/10/2013 7:51 AM, willshak wrote:
val189 wrote the following on 3/8/2013 11:52 AM (ET):
This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small
silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. Any idea what they
could be for? I'm ready to toss em out. A friend has one with 'BELL'
on it and is similarly in the dark. Are these brand names maybe or a
key mfr?

Thanks for listening

Maybe this for the Sarasota? Looks like a key for a fishing box.
http://www.basscatstore.com/locks-2.aspx

Try this for the Bell. Looks like for a bicycle lock.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bell+lock+keys

I almost never throw keys away because I often find a use for them. One
key I kept was a gas cap key to an old car and I discovered that that
one little key would open most of the cheap wafer locks I came across.
I could insert in a lock, jiggle it a bit and the lock would turn. I
suppose it mimicked a professional lock picking tool. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2013 11:52 AM, val189 wrote:
This is a long shot, but......I have had for years two small
silvertone keys with 'SARASOTA' embossed on 'em. Any idea what they
could be for? I'm ready to toss em out. A friend has one with 'BELL'
on it and is similarly in the dark. Are these brand names maybe or a
key mfr?

Thanks for listening

See if the bell fits a bicycle lock.
Bell started making bicycle stuff in addition to motorcycle stuff.

--
Jeff