Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much power should electric blanket draw?

I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old.
I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the
current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten
watts on the preheat setting. This seems quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 6, 11:52*pm, Larry Weil wrote:
I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old.
I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the
current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten
watts on the preheat setting. *This seems quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

Is the preheat a special seting, like full on for some timed period.
I would just set it to the highest heat setting, which will probably
turn it on full. But, you need to put the thermostat somewhere really
cool, otherwise the internal thermostat heater will shut it off
periodically. Yoiu can usually hear the thermostat click if it is
very quiet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry Weil wrote:
I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old.
I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the
current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten
watts on the preheat setting. This seems quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

I would think anything less than 1 amp, no good. Look for specs on new
units.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 5:52*am, Larry Weil wrote:
I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old.
I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the
current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten
watts on the preheat setting. *This seems quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

I think that's probably about right.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 00:52:01 -0500, Larry Weil wrote:

I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old.
I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the
current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten
watts on the preheat setting. This seems quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

Usually about 60W-100W or so at full heat for a throw rug, which I
have actually measured, and is more than an in-bed electric blanket.

If your blanket is drawing anything at all it is probably about right.

Ross

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, you have the energy star model?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

watts on the preheat setting. This seems
quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw
(or at least a range)?

1.21 Gigawatts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I can hear mine go on & off throughout the night

so it only uses power when on[obviously]

generally, they are a good investment,
using little power overall

marc

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/7/2013 12:52 AM, Larry Weil wrote:
I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old.
I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the
current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten
watts on the preheat setting. This seems quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

Just happened to have one (twin) sitting in the next room. It is also a
few years old. There is a label on the blanket that says 180 watts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 7, 10:47*am, Art Todesco wrote:
On 3/7/2013 12:52 AM, Larry Weil wrote: I have a Sunbeam twin size electric blanket that is several years old.
I had the feeling it was not heating properly, so I decided to check the
current it draws with a kill-a-watt, which says it is drawing all of ten
watts on the preheat setting. *This seems quite low to me, does anyone
know what these should draw (or at least a range)?

Thanks for your help.

Just happened to have one (twin) sitting in the next room. *It is also a
few years old. *There is a label on the blanket that says 180 watts.

OK - But has anyone ever in a normal setting had their blanket on full
(maximum) heat for more than the warm-up period. You would roast if
the blanket were on full force full time.