Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Who sleeps under an electric blanket?

Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If
you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of
a licensed electrician.

http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm

And cellphones?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Metspitzer wrote:
Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If
you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of
a licensed electrician.

http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm

And cellphones?

I sleep over an electric mattress pad and under an electric
blanket next to a clock.

I'm typing this sitting in front of two computers on a wireless keyboard
sitting next to a wireless network hub and a cordless phone
with an electric warming blanket on my lap.

I keep an iphone
in my pocket, next to my heart playing mp3's as I stand in front of
the microwave watching dinner go round and round.

I've been an electrical engineer for 40 years, so I'm sure I must have
contracted childhood leukemia.

After reading the link, I'm convinced I should just get it over with and
electrocute myself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mike wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

When I'm far from civilization out in the woods, I still hear a 60 cycle
hum in my ears. I understand it's caused by a newly discovered malady
known as EMF induced tinnitus. In Europe people are hearing a 50 cycle
hum and reports are coming in from all over the world. Some people who
have been in the aviation industry especially military aviation are the
few who are hearing a 400 cycle hum. Those who work around DC are
hearing random clicks. Certain people within our government are trying
to cover this mess up but the word is getting about "Hummers Disease".

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If
you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of
a licensed electrician.

http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm

And cellphones?

Think about those guys that work at hydro-electric dams each day eating
lunch where the magnetic fields are stronger than anything and doing it for
thirty years. Seems to me those guys would be the "canary in the mine" if
there was any health hazard from magnetic fields.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 9, 11:17*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If
you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of
a licensed electrician.

http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm

And cellphones?

You are sitting infront of a monitor, computer, and probably wireless
modem, you better turn everything off and go outside, no dont do that
the sky is falling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 6:31*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
mike wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

If you moved to Europe for an extended period of time, would the hum
you hear slowly decrease from 60 cycles to 50 cycles (59 for a few
years, then 58, then 57, etc) or would would it be more like step
function - 60 one day then 50 the next?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
mike wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
[...]

You would probably hear a harmonic like those people who jet back and
fourth between Europe and The U.S. It's known to fade into a single
frequency the longer you stay put. Those poor aviation workers, imagine
hearing a continuous dial tone in your head. The new catch phrase for
this disorder is "How's your hummer today?" Unfortunately lack of
understanding has caused a number of face slaps or unexpected good times
in some circumstances. It's a serious problem.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If
you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of
a licensed electrician.

http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm

And cellphones?

I used to have an electric blanket. Never again. Just before falling
asleep I heard a small noise and looked and electricity was arcing out of
the blanket. Threw it out in the back yard in case it wanted to set the
house and me on fire.

While my head knows better, my gut still finds the concept of sleeping
under an upholstered electric fence to be unsettling. I've never lived
in a house so cold an electric blanket was needed. Closest was a
college-town slum where I used an unzipped sleeping bag as a quilt on
cold nights, and set the mattress and box springs up on a layer of
duct-taped cardboard cases of (rinsed) empty beer cans, to provide a
thermal break from the asphalt tile over slab floor. (Hey, it was a
college town- took maybe an hour to gather the empties, and it was
cheaper than buying wood or concrete block. I wasn't like these modern
spoiled college students in their condos- I was BROKE all the time.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 2:29*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:

[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

"my gut still finds the concept of sleeping under an upholstered
electric fence to be unsettling"

That's what down comforters were invented for.

They're just as comfortable to have on top of you or under you.

Love my down!
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:
[...]

Yeah, but then I can't sleep thinking about all those naked geese
freezing to death. besides, I have allergies- I can't even use a feather
pillow, or wear a down jacket. Nor can I afford a blanket that cost more
than the bed did.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Like Mike, I've spent my entire working life around strong magnetic
fields as an industrial electrician, working daily on high voltage lines
(often live) and transformers.

But I always wore my tinfoil hat to work, and continue to do so at home,
now that I'm retired.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Jan 2010 15:42:13 GMT, Marina wrote:

I used to have an electric blanket. Never again. Just before falling
asleep I heard a small noise and looked and electricity was arcing out of
the blanket. Threw it out in the back yard in case it wanted to set the
house and me on fire.

Good thing you were awake. Who knows what would happen while asleep,
during a wet dream.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:
[...]

In addition to the electric mattress pad and the electric blanket,
I also have a thermal blanket topped by a down comforter. I like it cozy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message In addition to the electric
mattress pad and the electric blanket,
I also have a thermal blanket topped by a down comforter. I like it cozy.

Yup. I keep my house at 50 degrees so we use both an electric mattress pad
and an electric blanket with another blanket over that, topped off with a
heavy comforter. I wouldn't say it's "cozy", but we're comfortable once the
cats curl up on the pillows. It's like wearing little hats!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 2:59*pm, aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:
[...]

As penance for using their down, we let the geese sleep with us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 05:00:44 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jan 10, 6:31Â*am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
mike wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If
you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of
a licensed electrician.

http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm

And cellphones?

I sleep over an electric mattress pad and under an electric
blanket next to a clock.

I'm typing this sitting in front of two computers on a wireless keyboard
sitting next to a Â*wireless network hub and a cordless Â*phone
[...]

Or a varying beat frequency between the "ambient" and the "memory"
frequencies?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 18:39:32 -0800, mike wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:
[...]

It appears that SOME people are more sensitive to EMR than others -
and others are just suggestible.
A friend of mine swears he feeals much better sinse he got rid of all
his wireless phones, cell phone, and devices run by"constant-on" power
supplies like TVs and appliances with timers. He's had all his
grounds redone on the whole farm and installed whole house filters to
get rid of harmonics.

I think it's just placebo effect - he's read it can be a problem, he
believes it, and he's done everything within his power to reduce the
"effects".

But then again, he may be "sensitive".

Same thing with wind generators. Some people swear they can no longer
live in their house 2 miles from a wind generator - while others can
live virtually under one with no effects at all.

And the ones that complain about the wind generator may be working
with MIG and TIG welders or heavy electrical machinery all their lives
and not have any complaints about THAT. - Much higher EMR involved.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 10, 11:59*am, aemeijers wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:
[...]

Aren't there synthetic comforters that are almost as warm as down?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 14:59:46 -0500, aemeijers wrote:
That's what down comforters were invented for.

They're just as comfortable to have on top of you or under you.

Love my down!

Yeah, but then I can't sleep thinking about all those naked geese
freezing to death.

They give them all little electric blankets once they've taken all their
feathers off, you know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jan 10, 2:29 pm, aemeijers wrote:
Marina wrote:
Metspitzer wrote in
:
[...]

Yeah, but a wally world Hollofil sleeping bag, unzipped, is a lot
cheaper, more durable and easier to clean, albeit heavier.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Marina wrote:

Metspitzer wrote in
:

Are EMFs Hazardous to Our Health?

http://www.mercola.com/article/emf/emf_dangers.htm

Sometimes, the source of a high magnetic field is incorrect wiring. If
you suspect that your home is wired improperly, obtain the services of
a licensed electrician.

http://www.emfservices.com/electric.htm

And cellphones?

I used to have an electric blanket. Never again. Just before falling
asleep I heard a small noise and looked and electricity was arcing out of
the blanket. Threw it out in the back yard in case it wanted to set the
house and me on fire.

Nuts. The arcing under my electric blanket was a source of terrific
amusement for a month or so. Just kick it down near the connector, and
watch the light show. After I finally tired of it, I cut the blanket,
resoldered the loose connection, and had the female re-sew the fabric.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I've never lived
in a house so cold an electric blanket was needed.

Needed? Well, no. But they're a wonderful luxury. I turn mine on 2-3
hrs. before bedtime, and turn it off when I go to bed. It's like
crawling into a warm toaster. Sheer bliss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

I've never lived
in a house so cold an electric blanket was needed.

Needed? Well, no. But they're a wonderful luxury. I turn mine on 2-3
hrs. before bedtime, and turn it off when I go to bed. It's like
crawling into a warm toaster. Sheer bliss.

Yup. I turn on both the mattress pad and the blanket at 10 and off at 11
when we get in the bed. Of course, since we keep the house at 50F we
actually do "need" the extra heat or it's too cold to sleep, even with the
4-5 blankets/quilts.