Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Stove/fireplace problem

Had to install a gas shutoff valve on the back of a direct-vent gas
fireplace (free-standing ornamental stove) to meet code but now the
main burner seems to be acting strange. Sometimes it goes out or
doesn't want to light. The pilot stays lit. I am wondering if some
dirt or rust might have been knocked loose and is now clogging the
internal workings. I tried to clean out the pipe with a Q-tip as I was
installing the valve but maybe there was still a bit of dirt left
inside. I'm not sure how I might be able to blow any such dirt out
with compressed air? Ideas?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 10:47*pm, Davej wrote:
Had to install a gas shutoff valve on the back of a direct-vent gas
fireplace (free-standing ornamental stove) to meet code but now the
main burner seems to be acting strange. Sometimes it goes out or
doesn't want to light. The pilot stays lit. I am wondering if some
dirt or rust might have been knocked loose and is now clogging the
internal workings. I tried to clean out the pipe with a Q-tip as I was
installing the valve but maybe there was still a bit of dirt left
inside. I'm not sure how I might be able to blow any such dirt out
with compressed air? Ideas?

Thanks

It occurred to me that the problem might be insufficient flow due to
the added valve itself. I installed a 3/8" ball valve because the pipe
on the back of the stove was 3/8" iron but what if the restriction of
the valve causes insufficient flow? I guess I might be able to install
a larger valve with with reducers. I will also check to see if running
the furnace has any effect. This stove is on a separate line that
branches off only a few feet from the gas meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 06:37:14 -0800 (PST), Davej
wrote:

On Feb 22, 10:47*pm, Davej wrote:
[...]

Don't know for sure. When I replaced my water heater I had a time
getting it lit and staying lit.

I removed the flex gas line and opened the ball valve to purge the gas
line a bit (until I smelled gas). Worked for me.