Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default OT - Internation Drivers license for Canadians in Florida

What are they doing down there. Have you other Canadians heard that Florida
now requires an International Drivers License in addition to your Canadian
Drivers License to drive in Florida.

It will cost you $25.00 plus photos and only lasts one year. This is so that
your Canadian license in English can be translated into English for the
locals to be able to read. I can drive in 49 US states with my Canadian
license but not Florida. This all comes into effect just before the spring
break when many Canadians take a trip to Florida.

--
Eric Tonks,
RemoteCentral.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
What are they doing down there. Have you other Canadians heard that Florida
now requires an International Drivers License in addition to your Canadian
Drivers License to drive in Florida.

It will cost you $25.00 plus photos and only lasts one year. This is so
that
your Canadian license in English can be translated into English for the
locals to be able to read. I can drive in 49 US states with my Canadian
license but not Florida. This all comes into effect just before the spring
break when many Canadians take a trip to Florida.

Hmmm
Do they speak different English? Why translate English to English?
If that is the case, who cares, I can get an International one at my AMA
office. In my traveling days no one ever asked me to see my license
in States or overseas. I always had international one as well as my
Canadian one and US military one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
eb.com...
What are they doing down there. Have you other Canadians heard that
Florida
now requires an International Drivers License in addition to your Canadian
Drivers License to drive in Florida.

It will cost you $25.00 plus photos and only lasts one year. This is so
that
your Canadian license in English can be translated into English for the
locals to be able to read. I can drive in 49 US states with my Canadian
license but not Florida. This all comes into effect just before the spring
break when many Canadians take a trip to Florida.

Florida Highway Patrol says they will not enforce this as it may be in
violation of some international agreements.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2013 11:55 AM, Charlie wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message
eb.com...
What are they doing down there. Have you other Canadians heard that
Florida
now requires an International Drivers License in addition to your Canadian
Drivers License to drive in Florida.

It will cost you $25.00 plus photos and only lasts one year. This is so
that
your Canadian license in English can be translated into English for the
locals to be able to read. I can drive in 49 US states with my Canadian
license but not Florida. This all comes into effect just before the spring
break when many Canadians take a trip to Florida.

Florida Highway Patrol says they will not enforce this as it may be in
violation of some international agreements.

I could not believe in this stupidity either and looked it up. You're
right:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/florida...ials-1.1156483
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 12:47:54 -0500, wrote:

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013 09:20:04 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

EXT wrote:
What are they doing down there. Have you other Canadians heard that Florida
now requires an International Drivers License in addition to your Canadian
Drivers License to drive in Florida.

It will cost you $25.00 plus photos and only lasts one year. This is so
that
your Canadian license in English can be translated into English for the
locals to be able to read. I can drive in 49 US states with my Canadian
license but not Florida. This all comes into effect just before the spring
break when many Canadians take a trip to Florida.

Hmmm
Do they speak different English? Why translate English to English?

Don't most Eastern Canadians speak French?

Like the other poster said, they are not enforcing this.

A siseable portion of Quebecers and New Bruswickers speak French, but
both provinces are bilingual (officially) and the licences have both
english and french on them. Most of the rest of "eastern Canada"
speaks English A small proportion of northern Ontario residents, and
some from Manitoba are predominently francophone - but their licences
are also in English (and French) My Ontario Drivers Licence has both
languages.
It's just another example of knee-jerk government insanity and
incompetence on the part of the Florida government.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 01:43:44 -0500, wrote:

wrote:

EXT wrote:
[...]

I don't think Canada was actually the problem. The paper showed a
bunch of European and Asian licenses with no english on them at all.

I got my international when I went to Austria this spring. Used to
have one back in the seventies that was "life long" - no expiry - but
I still needed to get my Zambian driver's licence. Canadian and
international combined was only good for something like 3 months and
did not allow me to own a vehicle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2013 12:41 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/15/2013 11:55 AM, Charlie wrote:

Today's newspaper in Sarasota had a quote from one interviewed
legislator. He said "I hope I didn't vote for this."

Some day, rather than passing feel good bills the size of an
encyclopedia, they might try reading and understanding them first. The
result can only be more intelligible legislation.

"EXT" wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:13:13 -0500, Pointer
wrote:

Today's newspaper in Sarasota had a quote from one interviewed
legislator. He said "I hope I didn't vote for this."

Some day, rather than passing feel good bills the size of an
encyclopedia, they might try reading and understanding them first. The
result can only be more intelligible legislation.

Man you sure ask for a lot :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Today's newspaper in Sarasota had a quote from one interviewed
legislator. He said "I hope I didn't vote for this."

Some day, rather than passing feel good bills the size of an
encyclopedia, they might try reading and understanding them first. The
result can only be more intelligible legislation.

Man you sure ask for a lot :-\

They still would have to pass it before they would know what's in it.