Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Top 10 Home safety hazards

According to "This Old House":

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/...ntcmp=HPBucket

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/13 8:06 AM, HeyBub wrote:
According to "This Old House":

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/...ntcmp=HPBucket

I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because.
Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2013 5:49 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 2/6/13 8:06 AM, HeyBub wrote:
According to "This Old House":

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/...ntcmp=HPBucket

I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because.
Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.

I was working for an electrical supplier around that time when aluminum
Romex started being sold due to a copper shortage. I still come across
40 year old aluminum NM cable in homes every now and then. O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 05:49:51 -0600, Dean Hoffman
" wrote:

On 2/6/13 8:06 AM, HeyBub wrote:
According to "This Old House":

I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because.
Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.

Anything on "This old house" is geared for people with lots of money.
Years ago it was a good show, now it's not worth watching unless you got
tons of money and want to build the most expensive house you can.
I dont watch the show anymore.

If I replace wiring, it's because it's defective, inadaquate, or poses
some danger. And most of the time, it's just fine and only needs a few
more circuits added. Wiring from 1973 should be pretty safe and even up
to code other than maybe replacing some regular outlets with GFIs.
Wiring in 73 should all have grounds and stuff.

Now if it's from the 1940's or earlier, then it might be due to replace,
sepecially knob + tube wiring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've only seen aluminum, twice. Other than
huge feeder cables. Still, worth mention to
the home owner.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/...ntcmp=HPBucket

I was working for an electrical supplier around that time when aluminum
Romex started being sold due to a copper shortage. I still come across
40 year old aluminum NM cable in homes every now and then. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 06:37:17 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because.
Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.

I was working for an electrical supplier around that time when aluminum
Romex started being sold due to a copper shortage. I still come across
40 year old aluminum NM cable in homes every now and then. O_o

TDD

My house was built in 1997. It had 2 circuits with aluminum. One was
the HVAC, the other, double ovens in the kitchen.

When I had the HVAC replaced a couple years ago I had the wire changed
to copper. Just have the one circuit in the kitchen now. Electrician
tested the amp draw, inspected and tightened the lugs (?) on the
breaker. It was in good shape. It would cost a bundle to run a new
copper wire to the kitchen.

I recall aluminum being used exclusively in mobile homes. Many burned
down because it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/13 8:06 AM, HeyBub wrote:
According to "This Old House":

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/...ntcmp=HPBucket

I like the one suggestion about replacing wiring just because.
Forty years would be 1973. It's hard to imagine anyone doing that.

I was working for an electrical supplier around that time when aluminum
Romex started being sold due to a copper shortage. I still come across
40 year old aluminum NM cable in homes every now and then. O_o

TDD

If aluminum wire has been working for 40 years with no problems and
you don't screw with it, you probably won't have any problems but I
would still be vigilant about watching for overheating at the devices.
I still believe workmanship may be the biggest problem with aluminum
wire. Basically if your house hasn't burned down by now, it probably
won't.

The problem is, there will always be some moron who plugs two 1,500 watt
electric heaters into one outlet. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Back when I worked for the electrical supplier, we sold a lot of
aluminum Romex to mobile home factories and the problems arose because
the NM cable was not properly supported during installation and the
mobile homes bouncing down the highways and byways had the aluminum
wiring damaged due to the constant flexing that it can't tolerate. When
the trailers were powered up and electrical systems put under load,
there was a good fireworks show. A lot like the "smoke test" done by
bench techs at repair depots. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

Congressional regulation, and what
were the other nine?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

http://magazine.foxnews.com/at-home/...ntcmp=HPBucket

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only works if you put copper pennies.... uh....
you know.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas"
wrote in message ...

The problem is, there will always be some
moron who plugs two 1,500 watt
electric heaters into one outlet. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/2013 5:15 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Only works if you put copper pennies.... uh....
you know.

To hold their dead eyes shut? O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

That keeps the lights out. I was thinking to
keep the lights on, until the FD arrived.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..