Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrician Needed in New Orleans

Electrician Needed in New Orleans.....

Or did one of you DIY guys wire up that football stadium before the
Superbowl, and use 14-2 romex for some 1000A mains?????

Good grief, the game was delayed 35 minutes because of a power outage to
half the stadium. It's kind of funny, they spend billions of dollars
(or more) for that game, and thye cant provide adaquate power.

The problem was not in the stadium itself, but they said it was one of
the feeders that powers the stadium. That tells me that there are
actually two (or more) feeders, because half the lights stayed on. They
never said the exact cause, but my guess would be a blown transformer.
Interestingly enough, it occurred right after the halftime, during which
there was a huge amount of stage lighting and special effects. My guess
would be that was just too much power to furnish. I also wonder what
other parts of the city went out. When you think about it, every
business, hotel, bar, reataurant, etc. in town was probably running at
maximum power.

I have to ask just how much power actually goes to that stadium. It's
got to be thousands of amps, and is likely 3 phase. I wouldn't want to
have to pay the electric bill!!!

But things like that are never on the news, so no one will ever know.
With any luck they will at least disclose the actual fault that caused
the outage. Now if it was Janet Jacksons boob that popped out of her
dress, we'd know every detail right down the number of freckles on her
boob. I'd like to hear more about the cause of the outage, it's
interesting to know stuff like that.

If anything, I'm sure the 49ers fans will all blame the power outage for
the teams loss. That's what we will likely hear for the next 2
months....

I have to mention that while CBS did a decent job of broadcasting the
game, they sure flopped during that outage. I swear those guys just
kept repeating the same stuff over and over, and talked over each other
far too much. I would have rather seen some more commercials, since SB
commercials are the only good ones all year..... This year most were not
as good as in the past, but that's just my opinion....

I hope they do a followup on the power outage in the news!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone in N.O. has a generator? What a thought!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Congoleum Breckenridge" wrote in message

The halftime show was feed by generators.

Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

.

"Congoleum Breckenridge" wrote in message

The halftime show was feed by generators.

My thoughts that someone with the Saints organization turned off a
switch to **** off the Commish for the bounty gate decisions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Who can tell? Hell hath no fury, as a sports
fan scorned.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"rlz" wrote in message

My thoughts that someone with the Saints organization
turned off a switch to **** off the Commish for the
bounty gate decisions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 12:21:22 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Dean Hoffman " wrote:
On 2/5/13 7:12 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 05 Feb 2013 18:50:34 -0500, Congoleum Breckenridge
wrote:

On 2/4/2013 3:51 AM,
wrote:
Interestingly enough, it occurred right after the halftime, during which
there was a huge amount of stage lighting and special effects. My guess
would be that was just too much power to furnish.

The halftime show was feed by generators.

On the drive-time news tonight they were saying that they had deep
reservations about the grid holding for the SuperBowl. Evidently it's
still not ready for prime time, down there.

I wonder how bad it was for the players' vision with some of the
lights off. Did it matter for the actual game or was the delay due to tv?

The 49’s had no power for a lot of their game related equipment, such as
the still shot printer that they use to analyze game time action. It
wouldn't have been fair if one team had been able to use their full
compliment of equipment and one team couldn't.

I used to work for a company that made the sidelines communications
equipment used by all of the major colleges. We'd get the skinny on
all the sideline oops's. One of our trunks "failed" (someone kicked
the plug out and the batteries eventually failed - alarms ignored)
during a big game. The announcement was made on national TV that our
box failed and that the units for both sides would be shut down until
both were functioning. They played a quarter without the headsets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I doubt the blackout was caused by a blown transformer. You don't get one of
those 20-ton beasts out of a closet and screw it in place of the failed
unit.

More likely a cascade of overload interlocks that have to be switched back
on the proper order...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Someone in N.O. has a generator? What a thought!

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets. Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice
and cold beer before, during and for the weeks following Katrina and all the
other hurricanes for the past 50+ years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You da man!

Wish more Americans were planning
ahead, and prepared.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets.
Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice and cold
beer before, during and for the weeks
following Katrina and all the other hurricanes
for the past 50+ years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:10:35 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets. Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice
and cold beer before, during and for the weeks following Katrina and all the
other hurricanes for the past 50+ years.

FEMA stopped giving out gen sets , maybe Florida?

People would get them free, with no real need. They turned right
around and sold them for drug money to help their habits.

(what ever that is
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:10:35 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Someone in N.O. has a generator? What a thought!

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets. Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice
and cold beer before, during and for the weeks following Katrina and all the
other hurricanes for the past 50+ years.

The cold beer is what matters. In fact that is all that matters!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Must be rough, to have such a small life?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets. Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice
and cold beer before, during and for the weeks following Katrina and all
the
other hurricanes for the past 50+ years.

The cold beer is what matters. In fact that is all that matters!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 07:51:56 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Must be rough, to have such a small life?

What, you like warm beer? harry, is that you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:10:35 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets. Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice
and cold beer before, during and for the weeks following Katrina and all
the
other hurricanes for the past 50+ years.

FEMA stopped giving out gen sets , maybe Florida?

People would get them free, with no real need. They turned right
around and sold them for drug money to help their habits.

(what ever that is

I recall Florida being butt deep in gen sets following a hurricane (that was
an election years). NOLA following Katrina it was hard finding clean water
much less ice or gen sets.

As to water someone shipped in 80,000 gal and FEMA set the trucks back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:10:35 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Someone in N.O. has a generator? What a thought!

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets. Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice
and cold beer before, during and for the weeks following Katrina and all
the
other hurricanes for the past 50+ years.

The cold beer is what matters. In fact that is all that matters!

Hot showers, clean water, cooked food, ice and beer.

I don't drink but I have to take care of those I love.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 19:55:47 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 18:10:35 -0600, "NotMe" wrote:

Lots of someone's in NOLA have gen sets. Say he who had lights, HVAC, ice
and cold beer before, during and for the weeks following Katrina and all
the
other hurricanes for the past 50+ years.

FEMA stopped giving out gen sets , maybe Florida?

People would get them free, with no real need. They turned right
around and sold them for drug money to help their habits.

(what ever that is

I recall Florida being butt deep in gen sets following a hurricane (that was
an election years). NOLA following Katrina it was hard finding clean water
much less ice or gen sets.

As to water someone shipped in 80,000 gal and FEMA set the trucks back.

Has the population returned to NOLA at Katrina levels?
Posted to alt.home.repair

More than a few people sent aid to NOLA, and
FEMA sent most of it packing back home.
Rochester, NY fire department was going to send
a couple boats, and crews. FEMA called to tell
them not to come. I heard tell also of massive
"staging areas" with ice melting, and all kinds of
crews being told to stand around and do nothing.

It could be said that FEMA made things worse.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

NOLA following Katrina it was hard finding
clean water much less ice or gen sets.

As to water someone shipped in 80,000 gal
and FEMA set the trucks back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 8, 10:24*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
More than a few people sent aid to NOLA, and
FEMA sent most of it packing back home.
Rochester, NY fire department was going to send
a couple boats, and crews. FEMA called to tell
them not to come. I heard tell also of massive
"staging areas" with ice melting, and all kinds of
crews being told to stand around and do nothing.

It could be said that FEMA made things worse.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"NotMe" wrote in ...

NOLA following Katrina it was hard finding
clean water much less ice or gen sets.

As to water someone shipped in 80,000 gal
and FEMA set the trucks back.

"It could be said that FEMA made things worse."

....and it could be said that we don't know *why* FEMA requested that
the fire crews stay home.

I've worked on volunteer projects where we had 4 electricians and no
plumbers. With only enough work for 2 electricians, 2 of them were
standing around wanting to help but having no place to use their
skills. Sure, you could turn them into manual laborers for a short
period, but eventually they will get board and go home. They want to
use their skill sets to help people and gain some personal
satisfaction that they made a difference doing what they do best.
Meanwhile, the organizers were spending valuable time on the phone
trying to locate a qualified plumber.

I read a report on Sandy where the relief organizations were getting
overwhelmed with items that well-meaning people from around the world
had sent, but that they had no use for. Here's an article about the
Newtown tragedy. 21 little ones killed, over 7000 Teddy Bears sent.
Well meaning people offering the wrong kind of aid.

http://www.dailynews.com/sandyhook/c...ng-teddy-bears.

I'm not defending FEMA's handling of the Katrina situation, I'm simply
saying that unless we know *why* they didn't want the Rochester fire
boats, we can't say that they mishandled that offering. For all we
know, they already had more fire boats from other areas than they
needed. Trying to coordinate the assets they needed was hard enough,
trying to coordinate unneeded assets just adds to the burden.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 4, 2013 3:51:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Electrician Needed in New Orleans.....

HAW HAW HAW! U R SUCH A FUNNY GUY! HAW HAW HAW!

How 'bout some global warming jokes too while you're at it? It *IS* snowing...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/9/13 5:44 PM, Tomsic wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message

It sounds like a relay failed. The odd part is the relay was
supposed to prevent power problems. A bit here from the AP:
http://tinyurl.com/avz7llv

Wasn't it a relay failure that also caused the great northeast blackout of
1965 (New York, Ontario, NYC, NJ, New England)?

Tomsic

Beats me. I work mainly in a world of simple switches and
relays. A relay in my world fits in one's hand. It has a coil and a
set(s) of contacts.
The article said the failed relay could be the size of a truck.
Wowzers.

Industrial Electrician consult needed trg-s338 Metalworking 3 September 12th 09 07:11 AM
Electrician needed anthony Home Repair 9 April 8th 07 09:08 PM
Contractors needed in New Orleans ! [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 21st 05 06:33 PM
Home repair contractors needed in New Orleans Louisiana [email protected] Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 05:41 AM
Genie Keyless Garage Door Pad Opener - No Electrician Needed as It'sWireless Corinne Home Repair 4 November 15th 04 03:57 PM