Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Electrician Needed in New Orleans

wrote:
Electrician Needed in New Orleans.....

Or did one of you DIY guys wire up that football stadium before the
Superbowl, and use 14-2 romex for some 1000A mains?????

Good grief, the game was delayed 35 minutes because of a power outage
to half the stadium. It's kind of funny, they spend billions of
dollars (or more) for that game, and thye cant provide adaquate power.

The problem was not in the stadium itself, but they said it was one of
the feeders that powers the stadium. That tells me that there are
actually two (or more) feeders, because half the lights stayed on.
They never said the exact cause, but my guess would be a blown
transformer. Interestingly enough, it occurred right after the
halftime, during which there was a huge amount of stage lighting and
special effects. My guess would be that was just too much power to
furnish. I also wonder what other parts of the city went out. When
you think about it, every business, hotel, bar, reataurant, etc. in
town was probably running at maximum power.

I have to ask just how much power actually goes to that stadium. It's
got to be thousands of amps, and is likely 3 phase. I wouldn't want
to have to pay the electric bill!!!

But things like that are never on the news, so no one will ever know.
With any luck they will at least disclose the actual fault that caused
the outage. Now if it was Janet Jacksons boob that popped out of her
dress, we'd know every detail right down the number of freckles on her
boob. I'd like to hear more about the cause of the outage, it's
interesting to know stuff like that.

If anything, I'm sure the 49ers fans will all blame the power outage
for the teams loss. That's what we will likely hear for the next 2
months....

I have to mention that while CBS did a decent job of broadcasting the
game, they sure flopped during that outage. I swear those guys just
kept repeating the same stuff over and over, and talked over each
other far too much. I would have rather seen some more commercials,
since SB commercials are the only good ones all year..... This year
most were not as good as in the past, but that's just my opinion....

I hope they do a followup on the power outage in the news!

I doubt the blackout was caused by a blown transformer. You don't get one of
those 20-ton beasts out of a closet and screw it in place of the failed
unit.

More likely a cascade of overload interlocks that have to be switched back
on the proper order...