Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water softener

Finally got around to replacing my water softener today - bought it
before Christmas. Had the piping all figured out and fitted when I
found out the new one was plumbed BACKWARDS from the old one, so I had
to cross the pipes. Couldn'r move them because they come out through
the drywall of the finished basement laundry room. Added an extra hour
to the job. Ended up wirh one weeper out of 13 joints - thankfully one
that was easy to drain the pipe. After I gor it all plumbed up I
soldered a #10 stranded copper wire from the ilet to the outlet copper
pipe to maintain the ground connection across the nylon bypass valve
(part of the softener)

Had a terrible time getting the one fitting onto the bypass - steel
female nut onto nylon male thread that just did not want to start
square. Ended up carving the first thread off with the nylon nipple
and reforming the thread with my exacto knife to get it to FINALLY
start true.

Including 2 runs to the hardware store to pick up parts, 3 hours start
to finish for a 0ne hour job......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 2, 3:47*pm, wrote:
[...]

Why should your experience be any better than the rest of us? At
least it was only off by a factor or 3, sometimes they run into a
factor of 4 or 5, especially when the normal hardware store doessn't
have the one absolutely necessary part.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote:
On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:47:53 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I hear ya. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets
you.

Hi,
Last time when I installed softener replacing aging Kenmore one with
Fleck SXT5600. I used shark bites which worked out pretty good. I always
make sure I
ave good lighting specially trying to correctly thread two pieces
together. Hope I don't have to replace softener again rest of my life time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 17:20:24 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

I hear ya. Sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets
you.

Hi,
Last time when I installed softener replacing aging Kenmore one with
Fleck SXT5600. I used shark bites which worked out pretty good. I always
make sure I
ave good lighting specially trying to correctly thread two pieces
together. Hope I don't have to replace softener again rest of my life time.

I have a Fleck controller (digital). I went ahead and replaced
everything. Resin tank, brine tank and installed the controller.

I took longer to get the new resin in the resin tank than connecting
the softener to the supply lines. Granted I did buy the correct height
and the plumbing was already in place.

Company wanted $2500.00 -- my cost was ~$450.00 and little time.

Happy as a gopher in soft sand :-\
--
"Dodgeball in Burkas" -- Greg Gutfeld
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Oren wrote:
[...]

This one was the original in the house - 40 years old. I had rebuilt
it twice and decided not to waste any more time and money on it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message ...
wrote:
On Feb 2, 3:47 pm, wrote:
[...]

BINGO!!!!!

I ALWAYS atleast double the time it SHOULD take...Murphy's Law...It also
helps to live 20 miles from the nearest town...LOL...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 00:09:11 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message ...
wrote:
On Feb 2, 3:47 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thankfully I'm less than 2 miles from Canadian Tire, Home Hardware,
and Home Despot, and less than 10 from the best wholesale plumbing and
electrical distributors in the tri-cities area.