Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water softener

Finally got around to replacing my water softener today - bought it
before Christmas. Had the piping all figured out and fitted when I
found out the new one was plumbed BACKWARDS from the old one, so I had
to cross the pipes. Couldn'r move them because they come out through
the drywall of the finished basement laundry room. Added an extra hour
to the job. Ended up wirh one weeper out of 13 joints - thankfully one
that was easy to drain the pipe. After I gor it all plumbed up I
soldered a #10 stranded copper wire from the ilet to the outlet copper
pipe to maintain the ground connection across the nylon bypass valve
(part of the softener)

Had a terrible time getting the one fitting onto the bypass - steel
female nut onto nylon male thread that just did not want to start
square. Ended up carving the first thread off with the nylon nipple
and reforming the thread with my exacto knife to get it to FINALLY
start true.

Including 2 runs to the hardware store to pick up parts, 3 hours start
to finish for a 0ne hour job......