Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC cover

I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading
older posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those
of us intent on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a
plywood square on top only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Use exterior plywood, or marine grade is better.

Other than that, not much to add.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim" wrote in message
I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading
older posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those
of us intent on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a
plywood square on top only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2013 5:08 PM, Jim wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading older
posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those of us intent
on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a plywood square on top
only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

I just wrap a tarp around it with some looseness so it can vent.
A bicycle inner tube holds it on.

The most important part of the cover is the sticker you put on the breaker
so someone doesn't try to run it with the cover on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading older
posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those of us intent
on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a plywood square on top
only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

Hi,
When our A/C unit was insytalled a custom fit padded cover came with it.
It slides over the unit to cover all four sides when not in use. It was
Carrier performance series unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading older
posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those of us intent
on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a plywood square on top
only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

Hi,
Our unit(Carrier performance series) came with custom padded cover.
It slides over the unit covering top and four sides top to bottom.
I don't think it is an optional item. It was packed with the unit
in a plastic bag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:08:47 -0500, Jim wrote:

I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading
older posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those
of us intent on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a
plywood square on top only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

Teak is much better looking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/30/2013 09:10 PM, mike wrote:
On 1/30/2013 5:08 PM, Jim wrote:
I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading
older
posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those of
us intent
on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a plywood square
on top
only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

I just wrap a tarp around it with some looseness so it can vent.
A bicycle inner tube holds it on.

The most important part of the cover is the sticker you put on the
breaker
so someone doesn't try to run it with the cover on.

That pretty much explains what the tech saw that removed my old
compressor. A tarp on top held down by two cement blocks.
Gravity took care of the sides.

The only "damage" found was the rust around some of the top cover
screws. The rest looked pretty good and clean. Tech said the
cover caused the rust. I felt being nearly 25 years old was
likely the primary contributor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:08:47 PM UTC-6, Jim wrote:

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

....as opposed to what other kind of icicles? Urine?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 06:00:22 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:08:47 -0500, Jim wrote:

I'm in the process of getting a new AC unit installed. Reading
older posts here I see where the primary recommendation for those
of us intent on using a cover is to make it simple. Such as a
plywood square on top only held down by bricks.

Primary intent is to keep pine needles and ice icicles away.

Any other recommendations better than the plywood method?

Teak is much better looking.

Expensive, no? Come to think of it, where can you buy it? I don't
see it nowadays but back when I was around boats a lot, I saw it on
some Hatteras's. Therefore I guess you're right as to being good for
the elements.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message

Teak is much better looking.

Expensive, no? Come to think of it, where can you buy it? I don't
see it nowadays but back when I was around boats a lot, I saw it on
some Hatteras's. Therefore I guess you're right as to being good for
the elements.

Expensive though, but it is available. There are ot her woods for decks
that are pricey too, but will last for 50 years or more. This past summer I
did my deck over with Tiger Wood and it was over $5 a sq. foot.

For an AC cover, I'd probably screw some PT lumber together. Cheap and good
for 25+ years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 3:51*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Doug" wrote in message

Teak is much better looking.

Expensive, no? * Come to think of it, where can you buy it? *I don't
see it *nowadays but back when I was around boats a lot, I saw it on
some Hatteras's. * Therefore I guess you're right as to being good for
the elements.

Expensive though, but it is available. *There are ot her woods for decks
that are pricey too, but will last for 50 years or more. *This past summer I
did my deck over with Tiger Wood and it was over $5 a sq. foot.

For an AC cover, I'd probably screw some PT lumber together. *Cheap and good
for 25+ years.

You can buy vinyl covers at HD, etc. I would not put one
over the whole thing because it would trap moisture.
But you could put it on so it only covers part of it, still
allowing air to flow.

antislip cover for a manhole cover Mark BR[_2_] UK diy 16 January 6th 15 09:19 PM
Cover for fry-pan micky Home Repair 33 June 7th 12 04:58 AM
The Birth Of Thriller Cover chapter 4--The Album Cover HiBob Home Repair 0 May 27th 08 08:55 AM
Hot Tub Cover JaxDawg Home Ownership 1 February 14th 07 07:33 PM
Cover this Ralph Henrichs Metalworking 1 May 18th 05 12:23 AM