Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water hammer when one toilet flushed

Fairly certain have the correct answer but thought to run it past this
group for a sanity check.
When one toilet, and only one toilet, is flushed I get a water hammer
through the ice maker connection to the fridge (all pipes have been
checked and are not loose). Do not get any hammer when other toilets
are flushed and cannot recreate the hammer by shutting off the water
rapidly at any other water outlet.
Is there any adjustment to slow down the closing of the fill valve (new
style with vertical float)in the toilet?
Is best solution to just change the fill valve.
Thanks for the assist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 15:28:44 -0600, NamPhong
wrote:

Fairly certain have the correct answer but thought to run it past this
group for a sanity check.
When one toilet, and only one toilet, is flushed I get a water hammer
through the ice maker connection to the fridge (all pipes have been
checked and are not loose). Do not get any hammer when other toilets
are flushed and cannot recreate the hammer by shutting off the water
rapidly at any other water outlet.
Is there any adjustment to slow down the closing of the fill valve (new
style with vertical float)in the toilet?
Is best solution to just change the fill valve.
Thanks for the assist.

I think you are on are target about the fill valve. Find the install
instruction for your brand and look for a way to adjust it. Raise or
lower the shut-off height of the float.

You can try to close the water supply a tad and see if the hammer
stops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2013 1:28 PM, NamPhong wrote:
Fairly certain have the correct answer but thought to run it past this
group for a sanity check.
When one toilet, and only one toilet, is flushed I get a water hammer
through the ice maker connection to the fridge (all pipes have been
checked and are not loose). Do not get any hammer when other toilets are
flushed and cannot recreate the hammer by shutting off the water rapidly
at any other water outlet.
Is there any adjustment to slow down the closing of the fill valve (new
style with vertical float)in the toilet?
Is best solution to just change the fill valve.
Thanks for the assist.

What changed just before this started happening?

One thing that might help and is easy to try.
Turn off the main water.
Hook an air compressor to a spigot.
Open all the valves in the house, one at a time until air comes out.
Any hammer-prevention devices should be refilled with air.
You can do the same thing by draining the system, depending on the
layout of the pipes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 3:28*pm, NamPhong wrote:
Fairly certain have the correct answer but thought to run it past this
group for a sanity check.
When one toilet, and only one toilet, is flushed I get a water hammer
through the ice maker connection to the fridge (all pipes have been
checked and are not loose). *Do not get any hammer when other toilets
are flushed and cannot recreate the hammer by shutting off the water
rapidly at any other water outlet.
Is there any adjustment to slow down the closing of the fill valve (new
style with vertical float)in the toilet?
Is best solution to just change the fill valve.
Thanks for the assist.

Raising the height of the shut-off/fill point will not change the
rapid shut-off that causes the hammer. I would partially close the
valve in the water supply to the tank so that the rate of water going
into the tank for refillings is noticeably slower, and see if that
doesn't help. You might try greasing the rod on which the float goes
up and down, if the float is sticking, it might be sticking and then
when the pressure on the float gets high enough, the float breaks
loose and you have the quick shutoff. I don't know of any way to
make the actual shutoff slower.

Let us knowwhat happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I replaced a fill valve that caused water hammer, the toilet was
nearly new. I tired of the noise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NamPhong wrote:

Is best solution to just change the fill valve.

If this is a new problem, it sounds like one or more builtin water hammer
arrestors inside your wall are saturated. All they are is a short length of pipe
T'd off the lines at strategic locations. FIrst thing I would do is drain the
lines completely using the lowest available drain point, hot side as well and
then see if the problem goes away.

If the problem has always been there and you are just now thinking about doing
something, they make screw on arrestors.

http://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-66...ater+arresstor
Posted to alt.home.repair

You can try partly closing the shut off valve under the toilet. That way the
water won't be going as fast when the tank valve closes.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"NamPhong" wrote in message
Fairly certain have the correct answer but thought to run it past this
group for a sanity check.
When one toilet, and only one toilet, is flushed I get a water hammer
through the ice maker connection to the fridge (all pipes have been
checked and are not loose). Do not get any hammer when other toilets
are flushed and cannot recreate the hammer by shutting off the water
rapidly at any other water outlet.
Is there any adjustment to slow down the closing of the fill valve (new
style with vertical float)in the toilet?
Is best solution to just change the fill valve.
Thanks for the assist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 30, 6:51*pm, Robert Neville wrote:
NamPhong wrote:
Is best solution to just change the fill valve.

If this is a new problem, it sounds like one or more builtin water hammer
arrestors inside your wall are saturated. All they are is a short length of pipe
T'd off the lines at strategic locations. FIrst thing I would do is drain the
lines completely using the lowest available drain point, hot side as well and
then see if the problem goes away.

If the problem has always been there and you are just now thinking about doing
something, they make screw on arrestors.

http://www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chief-66...esidential/dp/...

How long do you think it takes air to completely dissolve
into water at 50PSI? What happens with a well pump tank
when the air control device no longer keeps it filled
with air? Doesn't it get water logged within months?

IMO for those arrestors that are just capped off pieces
of pipe to work, you'd have to drain the system a couple
times a year.
Senior Member

I'm with Trader4 on this one.

The best arrestors are the ones with sealed pistons inside them that physically separate the water from the air. That prevents the air dissolving in the water and the arrestor becoming flooded with water.