Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Primer for houses

I've been trying to help my grandmother out with fixing up her house. It's in dire need of being repainted. She wants the color to be blue and I am praying that there is some neighborhood law that will make her change her mind. haha! Anyway, there is A LOT of work that needs to be done before we can do any painting, but I've been reading tons of information (as this is my first time having to do something like this) on how to go about this and what products to use. I have narrowed my choices down to a few different types of paint and primers and thought that I would just see what you guys have used/suggestions. Right now, the one that I am leaning mostly towards is Mad Dog. Supposedly it is flexible and can withstand weather extremes (she lives in Minnesota) and it's non toxic (she has a little dog and her young great grandkids come to visit-not my children haha!). So, if anyone has used Mad Dog specifically and could let me know what you think of it, or if you know of any other products that have the same qualities, I'd appreciate any info you have! I'm looking for non-toxic/eco-friendly, long lasting (I really don't want to have to paint this dang house again anytime soon!), can handle weather extremes, and something that I don't have to spend a TON of time cleaning up. Being able to spray it, of course would be important too! haha! Thanks in advance!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

What is the surface of the home made of?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/18/2013 12:29 AM, wrote:
[...]

Wow! I've never heard of "Mad Dog Primer", so I googled it. Just the
claim that MDP "stabilizes peeling paint" would make me run, not walk,
elsewhere. A home badly neglected needs a lot of careful prep to be
ready for painting....I would say that the brand of primer (assuming it
is a legitimate product) would be of least importance, prep being #1 and
paint #2. Surface needs to be clean, dry, free of grease, mildew,
chalk, peeling paint. Gaps need to be caulked after priming. Weathered
wood sanded.

What is the structure and what is the climate? Dark blue or light?
Dark will likely cover much less well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've never heard of Mad Dog, DAGS, all they claim would also be done by any
decent primer. I'm not a pro painter but I use - and have specified
elsewhere - Zinsser 1-2-3.

Regardless of what primer you wind up with, the place will need surface
prep. Power washing will remove dirt and grime, most of any chalking and at
least loose paint (you may still need to sand/scrape bad areas). You also
need to caulk.

Once those things are done, a primer will adhere well even if there is still
some chalking.

If you have the primer tinted *CLOSE TO* the final top coat color, the top
coat will hide better. I wouldn't tint it exactly as the top coat, makes it
too hard to see missed areas.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 08:42:25 -0500, "dadiOH"

[...]

Personaly, I would tint the primer to closely match the ORIGINAL
colour of the house so primed spots do not stand out through the new
finish coat if the finish coat does not hide terribly well.

We still don't know what you are painting. Are you painting siding, or
just trim. Is the siding wood,, or something else, like Johns Manville
asbestos tile, hardboard, or ?

When we know this, we can be of a lot more help.