Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Hose anti-kink options...

I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:22:25 -0500, Hench wrote:

I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Empty the hose (take any fittings off the ends), take the hose all of
the way out - straight, and let it turn (twist) as it is pulled out
*AND* as it's put away. Every time. Let it do its natural twist as
it's coiled. If you try to force it to do what you want it to, it'll
get kinky.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/13 8:22 PM, Hench wrote:
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem
is over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

Take a look at
https://www.xhose.com/index.php?page=Home

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:22:25 -0500, Hench wrote:

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas?

Cut the kinks out of the hose. They will not bother you after that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm curious to read the answers. I don't have much success with this kind of
thing.

Perhaps you need different reels, or different winding technique.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Hench" wrote in message ...
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cable TV ads? I woulnd't buy anything off cable
TV now that Billy is dead. Or while he was living,
either.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Retired" wrote in message

Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

Take a look at
https://www.xhse.com/index.php?page=Home

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/13 8:27 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Cable TV ads? I woulnd't buy anything off cable
TV now that Billy is dead. Or while he was living,
either.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

They're cheaper on Ebay anyhow.
.

"Retired" wrote in message

Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

Take a look at
https://www.xhse.com/index.php?page=Home

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:22:25 -0500, Hench wrote:

I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Maybe you need a better reel. Get a Rapid Reel and you won't have to
twist the hose to store it. I get no kinks with mine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:40:12 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:22:25 -0500, Hench wrote:

I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Maybe you need a better reel. Get a Rapid Reel and you won't have to
twist the hose to store it. I get no kinks with mine.

I use cheap cranking type reels. Got one looping type too. Never had
a permanent hose kink.
So here's the option I use.
Don't stow a kink. When winding and you see a kink approaching, quit
winding and go get rid of the kink by whipping it out, or pulling the
hose straight and turning it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hench" wrote in message ...
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've tried
leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very hot, I've
had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the exspensive 6 ply
hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose that
already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't find any
that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending the metal
around the problem areas?

Store it gently somewhere it won't get kinked more, and wait till spring.
Then put a sprayer on the end and pressurize it. Let it lay in the sun for
a few days, and uncoil the coiled areas.

Now, treat it like you should have treated this one from the start. Get a
rim and mount it, and coil it around the rim in coils about 2-3x the
diameter of the rim. Or get two rims, and put them horizontal about three
to four feet apart, and figure 8 the hose as you put it on the rims. Or
figure 8 it on the ground. Or learn how to coil it one up one down,
available on youtube. They are a booger to get straight once they've gotten
a memory, but not hard to avoid letting them go bad from the start or from
new. I have hundreds of feet of hose, and no problems storing them or
hanging them so I have no kinks.

But then, I have years of experience with all manner of hose and cable in
the oilfield and diving.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Hench wrote:

I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Hmmm... I think I'd just cut out the damaged areas, and put in repair
splices. I like the solid brass ones that use separate clamps.

As someone else mentioned, laying out the hose in a figure-8 pattern
works great. Been doing it for eons. Almost all of my hose failures are
attributable to the gardener and his clowns.

For the record, I've been buying those black Craftsman lifetime rubber
hoses for the last 25 years... maybe even longer, can't remember. They
cost more, but as they always seem to exchange them, no receipt, no
questions, no matter what... makes them far cheaper in the long run.
I've only bought 2 so far, one for the front and another for the back.
Both get a lot of use, and have been exchanged under warranty 3 times
IIRC. They also come with quality solid brass machined couplings... not
those wimpy sheet brass trinkets as so many others now have. I do worry
about Sears going out of business though... it seems they have
everything but customers in the store these days.

I try to avoid leaving hoses pressurized... even momentarily. It's tough
on them. But the gardner and other family members regularly do so with
seemingly little wear/tear.

Erik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2013 8:06 PM, Retired wrote:
On 1/13/13 8:22 PM, Hench wrote:
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem
is over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

Take a look at
https://www.xhose.com/index.php?page=Home

My hose had an erection. O_o

Sorry, couldn't help it. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2013 12:24 AM, Erik wrote:
In article , Hench wrote:

[...]

That is my solution also. I have 2 that I have had for several
years now and neither one has a permanent kink in it yet. I
have pulled a few kinks in them, but when I release the kink
they straighten right back out.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Retired:
Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

I don't think I've seen more than 20 seconds of any TV
advertisement in the past 5 years.

Those things are bad for the mind... and I don't have much mind
to spare...
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Hench:
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house.,,,

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas?

FWIW we have exactly the same situation: 100' front and back.

But we have no kinking issues.

Only two things I can think of:

- Type of hose reel (and that's a stretch...
I mean... what can go wrong there?)

- Technique: Our hoses have stripes on them so
any twist is visually identifiable.

When I wind a hose, I watch for twists
and correct them as the hose goes on to
the reel.

Devil's Advocate Position:

Why not just leave whatever length of the hose that is most
frequently used laying on the ground instead of wound up on the
reel?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:42:24 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Hench:
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house.,,,

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas?

FWIW we have exactly the same situation: 100' front and back.

But we have no kinking issues.

Only two things I can think of:

- Type of hose reel (and that's a stretch...
I mean... what can go wrong there?)

- Technique: Our hoses have stripes on them so
any twist is visually identifiable.

When I wind a hose, I watch for twists
and correct them as the hose goes on to
the reel.

Devil's Advocate Position:

Why not just leave whatever length of the hose that is most
frequently used laying on the ground instead of wound up on the
reel?

Because it kills the grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 14, 2013 10:10:29 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:42:24 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote: Why not just leave whatever length of the hose that is most frequently used laying on the ground instead of wound up on the reel? Because it kills the grass.

And wraps around the mower blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 14, 2013 10:15:38 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2013 10:10:29 AM UTC-5, wrote: On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 09:42:24 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote: Why not just leave whatever length of the hose that is most frequently used laying on the ground instead of wound up on the reel? Because it kills the grass. And wraps around the mower blades.

PS lying on the ground, not laying. You've been reported by the grammar police.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I try to avoid leaving hoses pressurized... even momentarily. It's tough
on them. But the gardner and other family members regularly do so with
seemingly little wear/tear.

Erik

My big deal around here is seasonal draining. I have 8 hose bibs for ag
water. Each has a hose from 50 to 100' long. I have to remember in the
fall to lay them so they can stay drained, or remove them entirely before it
freezes, or they have to sit there until the weather thaws them out in
spring. Or, if I really need to move it, I turn on the piddly winter ag
water with about 10# of pressure, and it will eventually thaw it out and
push it out so it don't crack.

Having a large amount of hoses, and using them correctly is not for wussies.
Right now, I'm waiting for a little warmer weather to paint 8-12 car rims so
I can hang all my hoses up properly this spring. Hose care comes back in
spades, making them easier to use, and last longer. I buy the quality brand
Goodyear or equivalent, and those will last a very long time IF taken care
of.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/2013 8:22 PM, Hench wrote:
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem is
over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

100' is beyond my ability to haul around....when I did use long hose for
lawn watering, I left it full but with supply shut off until I reeled it
up with the nozzle shut off, then just let out most of the water after
it was rolled up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hench,

There are lots of products to reinforce sections of hose that kink. One
called fix-a-kink comes to mind. If you are cheap like me use about 8" of
old hose. Use a safety razor to split the hose open. Place it around the
kinky section. Duct tape firmly.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, not many people are that skilled
in grammar and usage. Well dun!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"TimR" wrote in message

Why not just leave whatever length of the hose that is most
frequently used laying on the ground instead of wound up
on the reel?

PS lying on the ground, not laying.
You've been reported by the grammar police.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2013 12:49 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
Hench,

There are lots of products to reinforce sections of hose that kink. One
called fix-a-kink comes to mind. If you are cheap like me use about 8" of
old hose. Use a safety razor to split the hose open. Place it around the
kinky section. Duct tape firmly.

Dave M.

Considering that as an option. I'll prolly use automotive type duct
tape that'll really stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/13/13 8:22 PM, Hench wrote:
I use about 100' of garden hose at back and front of house. Problem
is over the year the hose forms kinks because of the reels I use. I've
tried leaving full pressure water in them but those days it gets very
hot, I've had cheap hoses burst and I want to avoid that with the
exspensive 6 ply hoses

Anyone got any suggestions to prevent kinking on sections of the hose
that already problem areas? I've thought of buying springs but can't
find any that fit 5/8". Maybe cutting metal cold hangers and bending
the metal around the problem areas?

Have you not seen the cable TV ads for the "X Hose" ??

Take a look at
https://www.xhose.com/index.php?page=Home

My hose had an erection. O_o

Sorry, couldn't help it. ^_^

TDD

Oh my God!!!!

Just for that, you must say 100 Hail Mary's and 25 Our Fathers.

Father Jerome F. Wheeler
Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Daring Dufas" wrote

My first grade teacher, Sister Godzilla would whack my pee pee with a
ruler. O_o

TDD

New recruit to DI in Basic Training: "You don't scare me. I went to
Catholic School."

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

You could try doing this?
Know it is not a garden hose but should work the same also get the kinks out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTiEyXUza8