Posted to alt.home.repair

Default how to obtain "troubleshooting guide" for Kenmore dryer?

got a Kenmore dryer - actually in a place that I'm renting - that is the
most irritating appliance ever, in that it constantly cuts off thinking
that the clothes are dry. I have cleaned the moisture sensor bars with
alcohol and also washed the lint filter in soapy water thinking that it
may be fabric softener buildup. I'm not nuts about the vent hose
configuration but it doesn't appear to be kinked or clogged. Searching
online yields results on appliance repair forums that refer to
diagnostic tests in the "troubleshooting guide" that presumably pros
have access to, but I don't see where to get them. Going through Sears'
web site is an exercise in frustration. Anyone have any shortcuts, or
should I just dump this stupid thing and get a simpler used one off
Craigslist? (I'm willing to do that if that's what it takes because
it's a huge quality of life issue, killing a whole Saturday morning to
babysit the dryer while doing two or three loads of laundry is a
colossal waste of my time - it's seriously looking more appealing to
start doing my wash at the laundromat. Plus if I wash something that I
want to wear within an hour or two, that's not happening - anything that
normally hangs in a closet ends up getting hung and drip dried.)

It's an electric dryer, model 110.62082101, in case anyone has a copy.

thanks,

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 1:51*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

My usual approach to that kind of problem is to get a
circuit diagram and a VOM. If it's completing the cycle,
like it thinks the clothes should be dry, sounds like it
would be the moisture sensing, however that's done.
Or is it stopping without getting to the end? I think
the dryers I've owned had a more basic cycle too, like
just timed dry that might bypass the moisture sensor?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2013 02:02 PM, wrote:
[...]

Right, question is how to get diagram?

If I can't fix it myself, it's getting recycled, which is a shame, but
we all know that a service call base rate is about 50% of the cost of a
new dryer, so they're essentially consumable even if they are fairly
complex.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 2:58*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 01/13/2013 02:02 PM, wrote:

[...]

replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Usually there is one inside the appliance itself, on a
panel that you remove, or on the back. Did you try
googling for it with the make/model? Also most of
the online places that sell parts frequently have parts
diagrams, wiring diagrams, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2013 02:02 PM, wrote:

[...]

I did, this was all I could find

http://www.repairclinic.com/Kenmore-...terature-Parts

Also, it appears that the "moisture sensor" is simply two pieces of
stainless steel that connect to the main board (I assume? without
disassembling the whole thing and not tracing it out?) so if cleaning
them doesn't work it might be recycle time as a new main board is $226
(?!?!?!) and I can buy a new dryer for only a little more, or a used one
from the List of Craig for probably less.

In other words, much as it offends my "use it up, wear it out"
upbringing, trying to fix this thing may be a sucker's game. Because if
I spent $17 on a manual, a couple hours of my time troubleshooting, and
then big bucks on a control board (unless there happens to be another
common issue with these things?) it's Just Not Worth It.

I have a load of sheets in the washer now, we will see if simply
cleaning everything made any change in its behavior.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 14:58:52 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

On 01/13/2013 02:02 PM, wrote:
[...]

When My Kenmore was acting up I took the top panel apart and inside it
was a wiring diagram..... The repair was a $100 replacement circuit
board. Mine had simply stop running as soon as the start button was
released. (Start button made it start but when it was released it
wouldn't keep running). The board had a fired diode on it. The
replacement included instructions to modify a couple wire connections.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.repairclinic.com/Kenmore-...2101-ID-606211...

[...]

Do you have a timed dry cycle, and does it work ok???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2013 02:02 PM, wrote:

[...]

I'm going to have to download the owner's manual (done, fortunately that
one I was able to find) and read it (in process) to answer that
question. If there is a non-moisture-sensing cycle, it is not intuitive
how to get it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate,

The sensors get smacked by wet clothes. Thus they get shorted to each
other when the clothes are wet. If you have a flaky connection in the wiring
harness, that can look like "dry" clothes. So, clean the push on connectors
at the circuit board and at the sensors. If that doesn't fix things let us
know.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2013 04:44 PM, David L. Martel wrote:
Nate,

The sensors get smacked by wet clothes. Thus they get shorted to each
other when the clothes are wet. If you have a flaky connection in the wiring
harness, that can look like "dry" clothes. So, clean the push on connectors
at the circuit board and at the sensors. If that doesn't fix things let us
know.

Dave M.

I did clean the connections at the sensor bars as part of the cleaning
that I did today - on this model they're part of the lint filter
assembly so I removed the whole thing, cleaned it all very well, and
sprayed the last of my deoxit into the female connectors before
reassembling. (gotta order more deoxit, unless someone knows where one
can actually walk in and buy it...)

I've done two loads of laundry since then - one was a load of sheets
with one heavy flannel shirt mixed in. I had to restart it once to get
everything dry. (I didn't even try to dry the flannel shirt; I hung it
up damp and then restarted it to dry the sheets.) The other was two
light quilted blankets. I just restarted it, actually one blanket was
completely dry, the other was slightly damp in spots.

So performance is greatly improved over its state pre-cleaning but still
not right.

Cleaning the connections at the circuit board would require moving it
and quite honestly I'm not up to it right now; been fighting the flu for
four days now and only today felt human enough to start doing some stuff
around the house. I'm still getting out of breath walking up and down
steps which is just freakin' pathetic and frustrating. Can't wait to
shake this bug...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/13/2013 05:41 PM, Pat wrote:
You might disable the sensor and simply turn the dryer off when the
clothes are done.

Am thinking that may be the eventual solution, if that will even work.
I'm assuming that shorting the connectors together tricks the board into
thinking that your clothes are f'ing damp and will keep it running?
(but then it'll likely never shut off, yes, so you'd have to go check on
it? i.e. if you had something in there that wouldn't wrinkle like a
load of towels or something you couldn't start the dryer and leave the
house as it'd likely run forever... not sure I want to do that, that
could create a dangerous situation when others use the dryer)

buttons on the front of this are for pre-programmed moisture sensor
cycles, however I discovered after dl'ing the manual that hitting one of
them to select the basic parameters of the drying cycle (heat setting,
estimated time, etc.) then hitting "more time" or "less time" will then
turn the cycle into a timed dry cycle with all the other settings
remaining the same, so that is another option, although with an
additional, aggravating step.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry to hear that. Hope things improve, soon.

You can call the Mormons and ask for a
priesthood blessing. I have, and they work.
(If it's the will of God, of course.)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

and quite honestly I'm not up to it right now; been fighting the flu for
four days now and only today felt human enough to start doing some stuff
around the house. I'm still getting out of breath walking up and down
steps which is just freakin' pathetic and frustrating. Can't wait to
shake this bug...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message ...

[...]

nate Nate.... If the motor is packed with lint the motor overheats
and trips the safety IN the motor. As it cools the motor will run again. The
cure is to use air pressure to blow the lint build up out of the motor. This
is a common cause.Even though the dryer is vented. WW

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
. I'm not nuts about the vent hose configuration but it doesn't appear to
be kinked or clogged. It's an electric dryer, model 110.62082101, in
case anyone has a copy.

Start by cleaning the entire vent/duct system, including inside the dryer
itself. Sometimes lint gets clogged and the lint handling system won't pass
enough air to dry the clothes efficiently.

Also, run a load of clothes using a timed dryer setting and see if the
clothes dry or if there is still a problem. In other words isolate the
problem to a mositure sensing problem or a dryer problem.

This may help:

http://www.repairclinic.com/RepairHe...ng-11062082101

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate,

Pretty sure the wiring harness does plug into the circuit board so clean
that plug et c. once you've gotten over the flu. If that doesn't fix it try
shorting the wires together at the circuit board with clip leads. If you
still have a problem something is wrong on the circuit board. If the problem
is fixed you have a bad wiring harness.
The circuit board is an expensive replacement.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 13, 5:44*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I hope I never have an appliance with only electronic controls. I do
have a usave with electronics, but both washer and dryer have rotating
motor contolled knob for functions and I like that type of controls,
not as sensitive to power surges and no question if they are working
or not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Disconnect vent line at dryer. Crudely connect vent line to outside
with a powerful shop vac exhaust.

Have someone watch the exhaust hood from a distance, power on shop
vac. This should clean the exhaust well and create a mini dust storm
outside.

Plus look for droops in exhaust line, a low spot can collect
condensation and fill with water blocking the exhaust creating very
slow drying times