Posted to alt.home.repair

Default backsplash tile install

Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31"
thick. Would hate to buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.
--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to even
up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type cutters work
okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31" thick. Would hate to
buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.

*I don't think you can cut glass tile with a nibbler. Check with the place
where you bought them, but I think a wet saw is called for. I bought a
cheap one new for the price of a rental at Home Depot years ago. Harbor
Freight has the same model for $79.00 I think. It works well, but you can't
go too fast with the cutting. Definitely not made for high speed
production, but good for a homeowner. I did buy a better blade separately
rather than use the one that came with the saw. I've seen handymen use a
handheld angle grinder with a diamond blade for tile cutting.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 08:37:57 -0800, Motor T wrote:

Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31"
thick. Would hate to buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.

If you already have the nibbler, try that.

- A local tile store or installer may cut the sheets for you

- There are manual tile cutters you can rent or purchase at Home Depot
(if your HD has rental service)

Sample photo:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/attachments/interior-home-improvement/37963d1320664459-ceramic-tile-cutter-cutter.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2013 11:37 AM, Motor T wrote:
Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31" thick.
Would hate to buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.

I would not try to cut the tiles while still attached to the sheet...lay
all but those to be cut. Nippers can cut. The little slots on the
old-fashioned glass cutter are used to "nibble" away irregularities.
Carbide tip on a Dremel tool can smoothe off rough edges. Or a tile or
glass shop might cut it for you. I've seen folks having ceramic tile
cut at HD. If the tiles are large enough, just score with the glass
cutter, lay the glass across a small wooded dowel with the scored line
right on the high point of the dowel, then press down on both sides of
the glass....should break nice and straight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 10:37*am, Motor T wrote:
* * * * Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31"
thick. Would hate to buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.
--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet *'66-'67
Semper Fi

Local tool rental place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2013 8:37 AM, Motor T wrote:
Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31"
thick. Would hate to buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.

Thanks for replies. I will explore all options mentioned. For
whatever reason, purchasing a saw was the only thing that came to
mind. Glad I asked. Thanks.
--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:20:05 -0800, Motor T wrote:

Thanks for replies. I will explore all options mentioned. For
whatever reason, purchasing a saw was the only thing that came to
mind. Glad I asked. Thanks.
--
Ed Mc
Nam Vet '66-'67
Semper Fi

Please let us know how it all works out.

--
Army '70-'72
Hooah
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/12/2013 4:20 PM, Motor T wrote:
On 1/12/2013 8:37 AM, Motor T wrote:
Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31"
thick. Would hate to buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.

Thanks for replies. I will explore all options mentioned. For
whatever reason, purchasing a saw was the only thing that came to mind.
Glad I asked. Thanks.

hd will do cuts for you at .25/cut

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, 12 January 2013 11:37:57 UTC-5, Motor T wrote:
Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw? The tiles are 0.31"
thick. Would hate to buy a saw, never to use it again. Thanks.

Hey, my wife and I are doing exactly this. Must be a new-year get-it-done bug.

We have a cheap wetsaw--literally the cheapest on the shelf at Home Depot--and it works brilliantly on the stone and glass mosaic. The glass cuts like butter and the stone is no problem. I recall this saw being on sale for like $50 and we're using a generic blade that we got for ceramic bathroom tile. I recall that tile being slower to cut.

For long straight cuts, like evening the edge, I left it on the backing. Since the saw table is too small to hold it flat, I just rolled it up and held it and unrolled it as I fed it, and let it fall off the back edge after it was cut.

Around outlets we pried each stone or glass piece off the backing (which makes a mess of the backing) and cut it separately, and then set the cut pieces into the mortar individually. My wife is good for the finicky work like that. Obviously each stone needs to be marked and you need to keep track of where they go back.

In a few cases where there was a long piece blocking the outlet box screw, I pried the piece off the backing and notched it with a series of short saw cuts. Easy.

Chip C
Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 12, 11:37*am, Motor T wrote:
* * * * Bought some mosaic stone/glass back splash sheets to install in
kitchen. The tiles are horizontally in staggered rows. I will need to
even up the ends of 4 sheets. Will those hand tool 'nibbler' type
cutters work okay, or will I need a wet saw?

Coincidentally, I just saw a splash with what sounds like those tiles
that looked like **** (much) because the homeowner couldn't nip them
sufficiently accurately.

They didn't think it was much of a big deal, so I think expectations
might be a deciding factor.
-----

- gpsman

tile backsplash cj Home Repair 0 June 14th 10 02:01 PM
Tile backsplash Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 6 August 4th 09 11:39 AM
Backsplash or Tile, That is THE Question???????????? infiniteMPG Home Repair 3 September 8th 08 11:08 PM
Backsplash Tile Replacement twfsa Home Repair 0 March 5th 06 03:44 PM
How difficult to install a backsplash? Sacramento Dave Home Repair 6 September 6th 05 02:50 PM