Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tile backsplash

Want to put a row of 4x4 ceramic tiles where there used to be Formica.
When the Formica was removed it took the top layer of the sheetrock with
it, leaving a rough gray-brown paper surface. Should that be primed
before setting the new tiles, or will the rough and somewhat porous
surface make for better adhesion?

Also, since the tiles have small projections that keep them from gutting
tightly together at the "front," do I still need to use spacers? It
seems to me that there will be plenty of space to fill with grout.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 2, 1:05*am, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
Want to put a row of 4x4 ceramic tiles where there used to be Formica.
When the Formica was removed it took the top layer of the sheetrock with
it, leaving a rough gray-brown paper surface. Should that be primed
before setting the new tiles, or will the rough and somewhat porous
surface make for better adhesion?

Also, since the tiles have small projections that keep them from gutting
tightly together at the "front," do I still need to use spacers? It
seems to me that there will be plenty of space to fill with grout.

Perce

You should be fine with the surface. Just use pre-mixed mastic and a
small v-trowel ( I believe I used 3/16" or smaller last time), and
spread the mastic horizontally to prevent the tile from sliding down.

I also put up 4X4 tiles with jagged edges and I could not use spacers.
You pretty much have to do it by eye. I would lay some test tiles dry
and see what grout space looks best, then go from there. You don't
want too much space. Here are some pics of my backsplash. Grout space
is about 1/4".

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock...eat=directlink
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wrote:

Want to put a row of 4x4 ceramic tiles where there used to be Formica.
When the Formica was removed it took the top layer of the sheetrock with
it, leaving a rough gray-brown paper surface. Should that be primed
before setting the new tiles, or will the rough and somewhat porous
surface make for better adhesion?

Also, since the tiles have small projections that keep them from gutting

Ooops! Make that "fitting"

tightly together at the "front," do I still need to use spacers? It
seems to me that there will be plenty of space to fill with grout.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I wrote:

Want to put a row of 4x4 ceramic tiles where there used to be
Formica. When the Formica was removed it took the top layer of the
sheetrock with it, leaving a rough gray-brown paper surface. Should
that be primed before setting the new tiles, or will the rough and
somewhat porous surface make for better adhesion?

Also, since the tiles have small projections that keep them from
gutting

Ooops! Make that "fitting"

tightly together at the "front," do I still need to use spacers? It
seems to me that there will be plenty of space to fill with grout.

Perce

Personally, I hate wide grout lines. I reason that I am paying for durable,
sealed and easy to clean tiles, why would I want grout lines, wider than the
minimum, that have none
of these benefits that I am seeking. To me, a 1/16" is great, 1/8" is the
maximum and 1/4" is ugly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:h5379m$9f4$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

Want to put a row of 4x4 ceramic tiles where there used to be Formica.
When the Formica was removed it took the top layer of the sheetrock with
it, leaving a rough gray-brown paper surface. Should that be primed
before setting the new tiles, or will the rough and somewhat porous
surface make for better adhesion?

Also, since the tiles have small projections that keep them from gutting
tightly together at the "front," do I still need to use spacers? It
seems to me that there will be plenty of space to fill with grout.

Perce

Mike may be right that it's unneeded but I would slap some general purpose
primer on it. I would tend to think sealing it would provide a better
uniform surface to bond to. Pure speculation.

Posted to alt.home.repair
K K is offline

Mike rock wrote:
[...]

Where did you get those tiles, Mike? They have the look I want for the same
application.

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

Where did you get those tiles, Mike? *They have the look I want for the same
application.

Keith- Hide quoted text -

At a local tile store in NY. Don't know the name of the tile. If I
have a chance to pull the receipt I'll find out.