Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make Outdoor GFI outlets

I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last
long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I
make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight.
I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones),
and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What
happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing
connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard
ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since
they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last
long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I
make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight.
I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones),
and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What
happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing
connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard
ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since
they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

*Yes they are called "Weather Resistant" and have a "WR" on the face. Most
likely water is getting inside somewhere and causing the GFI outlet to fail
prematurely. Do you have a bubble cover or a regular flat cover over this
GFI? A bubble cover is better with cords that remain plugged in for long
periods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine work just fine- there are various covers, and the newest ones allow you to leave cords plugged in, even if it's raining (the cover stays closed and the cord comes out the bottom of the box.

Maybe water is getting in from behind? That is, it gets behind the wall above the box, and then just drips down?
Posted to alt.home.repair
.-. .-. is offline

wrote in message
I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last
long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I
make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight.
I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones),
and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What
happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing
connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard
ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since
they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

Thanks

For about 10 years, I've had several GFCI-protected outlets in my yard and
on the outside of my house. Only one has failed. They're mounted in
standard boxes (the ones in the yard are weatherproof boxes on a ground
stake). But instead of a cover plate, there's a sturdybox (clear
polycarbonate) with a hinged cover to protect the plug and GFCI from snow
and rain. All outlets are used fairly often for yard tools, holiday lights,
gutter heaters, etc. so I don't see that outdoor use causes failures. And,
I agree with the other posters. You have to have the power on to test or
reset the GFCI.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 23, 10:37*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per :

I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors... *Yet, they dont last long.

Can anybody comment on the possibility of replacing the breakers
that serve those outlets with a GFI breaker?
--
Pete Cresswell

Yes, you can do that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Last I checked, GFCI breakers are MUCH
more expensive than GFCI sockets.

Perhaps put the GFCI socket indoors, and
put ordinary sockets "downstream" which
will be protected?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message

Can anybody comment on the possibility
of replacing the breakers that serve those
outlets with a GFI breaker?
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:37:44 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Last I checked, GFCI breakers are MUCH
more expensive than GFCI sockets.

True, but having to replace GFCI outlets every year or so would get
old fast. It would be well worth it to spring for the breaker.

Perhaps put the GFCI socket indoors, and
put ordinary sockets "downstream" which
will be protected?

That's what I generally do when I'm installing new ones. It's a bit
harder with existing wiring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

John G wrote:

Noahbuddy has brought this to us :
wrote in
:

I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last
long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I
make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight.
I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones),
and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What
happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing
connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard
ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since
they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

Thanks

Same thing here. Outdoors they don't last long.

Had an idustrial situation where no matter what we did with silicone
etc, it would get water in the box and eventually something would arc
over.
Left a bolt out of the bottom of the box and had no more trouble
because instead of th water steaming into every nook and cranny, it
just drained out the bottom.

Sounds like condensation - it's often a good idea to have a tiny[1] hole in
the lowest point of conduit runs or fittings.

[1] Tiny enough so it is not a hazard and also not to allow all and sundry
from the bug world in. However, not so advisable if the fitting is likely to
be subject to strong jets of water, eg hoses or pressure washers.

--
Tim Watts Personal Blog:
http://www.dionic.net/tim/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:34:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:20:22 -0600, wrote:

I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last
long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I
make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight.
I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones),
and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What
happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing
connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard
ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since
they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

Thanks

Maybe you just need a better brand? I have two. One is over 15 years
old, the other about 10 years.

Also, try resetting with the breaker on. I somehow think that
matters, but I"m not positive.

I'm not sure what brand(s) I have used. Normally I get what is priced
in the middle.

I've tried the reset both ways, it wont push, and of course there is not
power. Changing stuff like that in cold weather is a major pain. You
cant do it with gloves on, and without, the hands freeze and you cant
feel the screws....

This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm
thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable
GFIs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Last I checked, GFCI breakers are MUCH
more expensive than GFCI sockets.

Perhaps put the GFCI socket indoors, and
put ordinary sockets "downstream" which
will be protected?

Yea, the breakers are more costly. I have several of the GFIs indoors
that feed the outdoor outlets, but my current one is out in a field,
mounted to a farm power pole. Just a single breaker in a box, fed off
overhead triplex from the farm's main, and that GFI is under that box.
I am considering a GFI breaker for this one, as another option, since
all it does is provide an outlet for a stock tank heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:46:51 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

[...]

Ok. so they do make them... Thanks
This is just the common flat cover. It's only used in winter, so the
door on the cover is open, but in the warm weather the cover is closed,
which is when rain could get in. I suspect that water gets under that
door on the cover and gets in around those push buttons on the GFI.
That's all I can think.

Maybe for this application, I will buy a GFI breaker, or as I mentioned
earlier, just use a portable cord type GFI. Having to keep replacing
them is costly and a big pain in the ass during the winter, which is the
only time I use this particular outlet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand, most GFI have a "down stream"
connection, so you can protect outlets farther
from the GFI outlet. Perhaps you can put the
GFI in the building, closer to the circuit breaker
panel. The stock tank can be down stream from
the GFI.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I
need a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular
outlets and using those plug-in portable GFIs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know if this makes sense, but can you put
the GFI on a pole, near the top. Hang a bucket
upside down over the GFI? Like farmers do with
tractor exhaust.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need
a GFI, but I'm thinking of installing regular outlets
and using those plug-in portable GFIs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like you don't have a lot of choices
to work with. Well, please keep us posted
(not funny, Chris.... POSTed?) and we can
learn also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

Perhaps put the GFCI socket indoors, and
put ordinary sockets "downstream" which
will be protected?

Yea, the breakers are more costly. I have several of the GFIs indoors
that feed the outdoor outlets, but my current one is out in a field,
mounted to a farm power pole. Just a single breaker in a box, fed off
overhead triplex from the farm's main, and that GFI is under that box.
I am considering a GFI breaker for this one, as another option, since
all it does is provide an outlet for a stock tank heater.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 20:24:01 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I don't know if this makes sense, but can you put
the GFI on a pole, near the top. Hang a bucket
upside down over the GFI? Like farmers do with
tractor exhaust.

Actually I hung a bird house above the outlet on that pole. I planned
to just attach a piece of wood, until I got the idea to use the bird
house, which needed a place to go anyhow. The bird house diverted the
water away from the outlet box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Electrically conductive safety outlet cover?
Just doesn't seem right, y'know?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
I wish they made those "bubble covers" out of metal. I've seen those
plastic ones and I bet they dont last long when exposed to hot sun, ice,
snow, and other weather extremes. Of course these days, everything is
plastic....

They do: http://tinyurl.com/c329lqq
There are probably others but I didn't spend much time looking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Dean Hoffman" " wrote in message
I wish they made those "bubble covers" out of metal. I've seen those
plastic ones and I bet they dont last long when exposed to hot sun, ice,
snow, and other weather extremes. Of course these days, everything is
plastic....

They do: http://tinyurl.com/c329lqq
There are probably others but I didn't spend much time looking.

It might have a separate screw for grounding. I don't know if the
four attachment screws are considered adequate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 08:26:19 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Electrically conductive safety outlet cover?
Just doesn't seem right, y'know?

Come on now......
Metal boxes have been used for electrical stuff for ages as well as
metal cover plates on sheds, garages, industrial, etc. That's what the
ground wires are for, and I'm sure the cover is connected to ground
somehow, knowing how the NEC operates. Even switches have ground screws
now, and I really dont know what good they do.

Not to mention that many outdoor boxes are still metal, unlike those
blue plastic boxes they use indoors for almost all new wiring now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 21:59:56 -0500, ".-." wrote:

There are different plastics used. 10 years is what I've gotten out of my
Polycarbonate (Lexan) "bubble covers" They've yellowed a bit, but the
strength remains fine. Polycarbonate is what's used for street light
refractors too.

Tomsic

That's not bad at all. But it depends on how extreme your weather is.
In my part of the country, the winters are brutal, and last summer
proved to test everyone's extremes with heat.

Is that the same plastic used for some car headlights too? That stuff
seems to hold up well, but gets foggy, causing the light output to
dininish after years.

Posted to alt.home.repair
.-. .-. is offline

wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 21:59:56 -0500, ".-." wrote:

There are different plastics used. 10 years is what I've gotten out of my
Polycarbonate (Lexan) "bubble covers" They've yellowed a bit, but the
strength remains fine. Polycarbonate is what's used for street light
refractors too.

Tomsic

That's not bad at all. But it depends on how extreme your weather is.
In my part of the country, the winters are brutal, and last summer
proved to test everyone's extremes with heat.

Is that the same plastic used for some car headlights too? That stuff
seems to hold up well, but gets foggy, causing the light output to
dininish after years.

Yes. Polycarbonate is a tough plastic. You can pound it with a sledge
hammer and it won't break; but it does yellow due to UV exposure over time.
There are UV-stabilized versions that will slow down the process and, for
headlight lenses, kits that will renew the surface.

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think car headlight covers get foggy so much as scratched up from debris hitting it at 70 mph...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 09:54:16 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I don't think car headlight covers get foggy so much as scratched up from debris hitting it at 70 mph...

Right. That's why he said there are "kits that will renew the
surface".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thus the passage of time isn't what ruins them, so making an outlet cover out of this isn't a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 14:57:54 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Thus the passage of time isn't what ruins them, so making an outlet cover out of this isn't a problem.

Becoming opaque isn't a problem for an outlet cover, is it?