Posted to alt.home.repair
.-. .-. is offline

Default Do they make Outdoor GFI outlets

wrote in message
I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last
long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I
make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight.
I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones),
and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What
happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing
connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard
ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since
they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

Thanks

For about 10 years, I've had several GFCI-protected outlets in my yard and
on the outside of my house. Only one has failed. They're mounted in
standard boxes (the ones in the yard are weatherproof boxes on a ground
stake). But instead of a cover plate, there's a sturdybox (clear
polycarbonate) with a hinged cover to protect the plug and GFCI from snow
and rain. All outlets are used fairly often for yard tools, holiday lights,
gutter heaters, etc. so I don't see that outdoor use causes failures. And,
I agree with the other posters. You have to have the power on to test or
reset the GFCI.

Tomsic