Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] homeowner@home.com is offline

Default Do they make Outdoor GFI outlets

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 10:34:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:20:22 -0600, wrote:

I've installed several standard GFI outlets outdoors, and they dont last
long. They always have the cover plate that snaps down over them, and I
make sure to use the gasket, and an outdoor box which is sealed tight.
I even put a little silicone over the screw in box plugs (unused ones),
and around the gasket. Yet, they dont last long. 2 years tops. What
happens is the button pops out and cant be reset. (with nothing
connected, and even if the breaker is off). Apparently the standard
ones just dont hold up outdoors, and I really dont understand why, since
they are properly sealed.

Anyhow, do they make any that are specific for outdoor use?

Thanks

Maybe you just need a better brand? I have two. One is over 15 years
old, the other about 10 years.

Also, try resetting with the breaker on. I somehow think that
matters, but I"m not positive.

I'm not sure what brand(s) I have used. Normally I get what is priced
in the middle.

I've tried the reset both ways, it wont push, and of course there is not
power. Changing stuff like that in cold weather is a major pain. You
cant do it with gloves on, and without, the hands freeze and you cant
feel the screws....

This is for livestock water tank heaters, so I need a GFI, but I'm
thinking of installing regular outlets and using those plug-in portable
GFIs.