Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't tighten shower handle

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the hex nut
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:43:35 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the hex nut
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

My hex wrench is one of the little L-shaped ones. Will one that has a
handle like a screwdriver be strong enough to get it working?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the hex nut
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

I found some T-shaped hex wrenches by Klein and by Eklind (and
others). Shoud one of those be strong enough to get it going?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jan Philips wrote:

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the set screw
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

Soak at least a day in some type of rust-busting concoction, before
trying to bust the set screw loose. This job is dicey at best. I got my
30-year old handle off, but it wasn't easy. You're at least as likely to
strip the head of the set screw, or round off the driver, as you are to
loosen the set screw.

Your standard L-handle wrench is your best option, if you have room to
operate it. Put the short end into the set screw, that gives you the
most leverage.

The T-handle might do it, or the screwdriver type, but DO NOT use a
"ball" type driver, which might be found on any style of allen (hex)
wrench.

If you've got a cheap hex wrench, go get a good one before doing this
job. You've only got one shot to get it right, then you're going to be
drilling the screw out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the hex nut
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

My hex wrench is one of the little L-shaped ones.

In that case it's called an Allen wrench. Before, I thought you
meant the wrench went around a nut instead of into a hole into what's
probably a set screw.

Will one that has a
handle like a screwdriver be strong enough to get it working?

Maybe but first I'd try penetrating oil or Liquid Wrench. Put a few
drops in the hole. Let it sit for a while,maybe even an hour,
tapping or hitting it a little harder than that once in a while with
something hard like a center punch and a hammer. The vibrations help
the LW to seep into the crack between the threads.

Also if this is the hot water, maybe running the water will heat the
parts up and that will help. If you have plastic handles like I do,
you can't heat it up with a torch, but if you have all metal, I think
a propane torch on the screw, not the handle, can do wonders. That's
how I got my motorcycle apart, which had never been wroked on since
it was made in 1969 .

If someone contradicts me, probably take him seriously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:57:32 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Jan Philips wrote:

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the set screw
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

Soak at least a day in some type of rust-busting concoction, before
trying to bust the set screw loose.

Soak is good. If you can't get the hole to point up. find some bag
that doesn't fall apart with the rust-buster (some plastic bags may
dissolve but others might work), and put enough in to cover the secrew
head. I read t his here but haven't tried it yet.

This job is dicey at best. I got my
30-year old handle off, but it wasn't easy. You're at least as likely to
strip the head of the set screw, or round off the driver, as you are to
loosen the set screw.

Your standard L-handle wrench is your best option, if you have room to
operate it. Put the short end into the set screw, that gives you the
most leverage.

The T-handle might do it, or the screwdriver type, but DO NOT use a
"ball" type driver, which might be found on any style of allen (hex)
wrench.

If you've got a cheap hex wrench, go get a good one before doing this
job. You've only got one shot to get it right, then you're going to be
drilling the screw out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

He could also try heating it with a hair dryer before squirting Liquid
Wrench in there. I use a torch to heat assemblies that will tolerate it
and the LW seems to wick into the threads a lot better. I remember my
dad bringing Liquid Wrench home from the steel mill 50 years ago and me
experimenting with it. I discovered that the lawnmower would run on
Liquid Wrench. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I repair machines that use allen screws and heat up to 300 degrees. I
absolutely HATE when they get stuck the worst are customers who
proudly say I know the allen is tight when it goes click click click
when turned..........

thats means the allen is stripped and likely can never be removed by
anything short of drilling it out......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buy them a better quality allen driver?

Allen screws too small to slot with a Dremel, and a cut off wheel?

You're reminding me of my Harbor Freight flare nut wrenches, that were
guaranteed to round off flare nuts. I got a set of flare wrenches from my
parts house, and never had that problem any more.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

I repair machines that use allen screws and heat up to 300 degrees. I
absolutely HATE when they get stuck the worst are customers who
proudly say I know the allen is tight when it goes click click click
when turned..........

thats means the allen is stripped and likely can never be removed by
anything short of drilling it out......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:57:32 -0800, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
Jan Philips wrote:

[...]

I would add that the set screw may be standard or metric. Using the
wrong Allen Wrench can possibly round out the head of the screw. A
local hardware will carry a set that includes both metric and standard
sizes. Test that the wrench has a snug fit. If it has a little wiggle
try another wrench until it "feels" snug in the screw.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the hex nut
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

Your best bet is to soak it first with a penetrant. Then make sure the
socket of the bolt or set screw is free of all debris. Next take take a
"hardened" hex wrench and grind the end perpendicular so you have sharp
edges. Tap the sharp ended wrench in to the socket to assure full depth
contact. Hold the wrench in place and with one mighty blow of a hammer
smack the wrench handle. Do not turn the wrench just smack the wrench. You
don't want the wrench or the socket to have the opportunity to strip. This
is why you use a hammer. The bolt will either come lose or break off. It
will not strip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep, tear it up trying to save money rather than call you to start with.
It happens to me all the time when someone tells me that they
know a guy who does it cheaper. I get the call to repair what Billy Bob
fixed and it winds up costing Mr. Thrifty twice as much. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just remembered a screw extractor set I had that was stolen and I must
replace but it's the best screw extractor I've ever seen. The extractors
can be dressed with a grinder if you break the end or wear
the ribs out. The bottom link goes to a picture that can be blown up
so you can see details. The extractor slides through a collet so it can
be turned with a wrench. I'm going to have to cruse the pawn shops to
see if I can find a used one in good shape before buying a new set. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/aejeuoe

http://preview.tinyurl.com/afpqbt9

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Maybe but first I'd try penetrating oil or Liquid Wrench. Put a few
drops in the hole. Let it sit for a while,maybe even an hour,
tapping or hitting it a little harder than that once in a while with
something hard like a center punch and a hammer. The vibrations help
the LW to seep into the crack between the threads.

If someone contradicts me, probably take him seriously.

Liquid Wrench is good, but I've had great success with PB Blaster, available
in a spray can at the auto parts store, about $3-4 dollars. Your other
suggestions - letting it soak and tapping on the parts - are also
appropriate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 03:31:41 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Liquid Wrench

I have a can about 25 years old on the shelf. Used it recently to soak
studs in a 4X4 wheel hub. Maybe 1/4 can left.

You can't beat it with a stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:25:35 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Liquid Wrench is good, but I've had great success with PB Blaster, available
in a spray can at the auto parts store, about $3-4 dollars. Your other
suggestions - letting it soak and tapping on the parts - are also
appropriate.

Thanks. It is stuck on so I don't see any way of letting it soak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:14:38 -0800, Oren wrote:

I would add that the set screw may be standard or metric. Using the
wrong Allen Wrench can possibly round out the head of the screw.

I tried both types. No metric would fit. The 3/32 did fit, but I got
a message back from Moen today saying that it is actually 7/64.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 11:51:56 PM UTC-5, Jan Philips wrote:
I found some T-shaped hex wrenches by Klein and by Eklind (and
others). Shoud one of those be strong enough to get it going?

NO.

The wrench is not your problem. The set screw is STUCK. A bigger wrench will only wreck it quicker.

You need to soak it with a penetrant like PB'laster, or Liquid Wrench.

Turn the water off and rotate the handle so the screw is pointing up. Fill the hole with your penetrant of choice. Allow to soak. Refill the hole if it drains out. After a few hours, try your L-shaped wrench.

Worst case you may have to drill out the screw and replace the entire handle. Most handles can be replaced off the shelf at your local hardware store.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the hex nut
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

Thanks, I got it.

I got Bolt Off and turned the handle upside down, sprayed that in
there and left it for a few minutes. I got a Husky Allen wrench set
in a handle, which I thought would give me more torque. However, that
gives less dexterity than the L-shaped one and I couldn't feel how to
get it in properly. (I can't see it in there so I have to go by
feel.) But I tried the L-shaped wrench again, and the Bolt Off
loosened it up and I fixed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ss Ss is offline

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
He could also try heating it with a hair dryer before squirting Liquid
Wrench in there. I use a torch to heat assemblies that will tolerate it
and the LW seems to wick into the threads a lot better. I remember my
dad bringing Liquid Wrench home from the steel mill 50 years ago and me
experimenting with it. I discovered that the lawnmower would run on
Liquid Wrench. ^_^

TDD

Speaking of experimenting with Liquid Wrench, I caught my uncle drinking
it. This was about a week after I caught him smoking the tow rope for the
dozer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You are excellent!

We never doubted you for a second.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jan Philips" wrote in message

Thanks, I got it.

I got Bolt Off and turned the handle upside down, sprayed that in
there and left it for a few minutes. I got a Husky Allen wrench set
in a handle, which I thought would give me more torque. However, that
gives less dexterity than the L-shaped one and I couldn't feel how to
get it in properly. (I can't see it in there so I have to go by
feel.) But I tried the L-shaped wrench again, and the Bolt Off
loosened it up and I fixed it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2012 1:57 PM, Ss wrote:
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
He could also try heating it with a hair dryer before squirting Liquid
Wrench in there. I use a torch to heat assemblies that will tolerate it
and the LW seems to wick into the threads a lot better. I remember my
dad bringing Liquid Wrench home from the steel mill 50 years ago and me
experimenting with it. I discovered that the lawnmower would run on
Liquid Wrench. ^_^

TDD

Speaking of experimenting with Liquid Wrench, I caught my uncle drinking
it. This was about a week after I caught him smoking the tow rope for the
dozer.

He drank the LW because he was constipated and thought it would loosen
his bowels. Of course everyone knows that rope smokers suffer from
constant constipation. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 12:47:58 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:14:38 -0800, Oren wrote:

I would add that the set screw may be standard or metric. Using the
wrong Allen Wrench can possibly round out the head of the screw.

I tried both types. No metric would fit. The 3/32 did fit, but I got
a message back from Moen today saying that it is actually 7/64.

I think most replies here are valid especially squirting some
penetrating oil regardless of position of the screw. I think Moen
will give suggestions too so you might want to call them back and ask
for advice tho I doubt it will be much different than here. Or think
of it this way.... you got so many replies here and most are telling
you similar advice so can they all be wrong or right?

One other thing you should think about.... if you mess up the screw
after trying to get it out, what will you do then? You might want to
leave this to a plumber to begin with. Yeah I know you are trying to
save money but will you, if you mess it up? In other words, don't be
penny wise and dollar foolish (and no, I'm not a plumber). And if
you do hire a plumber, watch and learn and maybe the next time you
will know how to do it without asking here or calling a plumber again.

Childproof Shower Handle baumgrenze Home Repair 1 October 25th 07 03:53 PM
Shower/Tub Handle Knocks [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 22nd 07 03:21 PM
Old Moen Shower Handle Leo Home Repair 1 December 15th 06 01:27 PM
3 handle style shower diverter Eigenvector Home Repair 6 June 11th 06 05:20 AM
Shower Handle Question nr Home Repair 4 February 3rd 05 11:32 AM