Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can't tighten shower handle

On 12/13/2012 7:55 AM, bob haller wrote:
On Dec 13, 4:31 am, The Daring Dufas the-daring-du...@stinky-
finger.net wrote:
On 12/13/2012 12:01 AM, micky wrote:

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:46:12 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:43:35 -0500, Jan Philips
wrote:

Our 15-year-old shower handle is loose. A 3/32 hex wrench fits in but
I can't turn it. It may be rusted. Is there a way go get the hex nut
loosened, or what does it take to fix it?

My hex wrench is one of the little L-shaped ones.

In that case it's called an Allen wrench. Before, I thought you
meant the wrench went around a nut instead of into a hole into what's
probably a set screw.

Will one that has a
handle like a screwdriver be strong enough to get it working?

Maybe but first I'd try penetrating oil or Liquid Wrench. Put a few
drops in the hole. Let it sit for a while,maybe even an hour,
tapping or hitting it a little harder than that once in a while with
something hard like a center punch and a hammer. The vibrations help
the LW to seep into the crack between the threads.

Also if this is the hot water, maybe running the water will heat the
parts up and that will help. If you have plastic handles like I do,
you can't heat it up with a torch, but if you have all metal, I think
a propane torch on the screw, not the handle, can do wonders. That's
how I got my motorcycle apart, which had never been wroked on since
it was made in 1969 .

If someone contradicts me, probably take him seriously.

He could also try heating it with a hair dryer before squirting Liquid
Wrench in there. I use a torch to heat assemblies that will tolerate it
and the LW seems to wick into the threads a lot better. I remember my
dad bringing Liquid Wrench home from the steel mill 50 years ago and me
experimenting with it. I discovered that the lawnmower would run on
Liquid Wrench. ^_^

TDD

I repair machines that use allen screws and heat up to 300 degrees. I
absolutely HATE when they get stuck the worst are customers who
proudly say I know the allen is tight when it goes click click click
when turned..........

thats means the allen is stripped and likely can never be removed by
anything short of drilling it out......

I just remembered a screw extractor set I had that was stolen and I must
replace but it's the best screw extractor I've ever seen. The extractors
can be dressed with a grinder if you break the end or wear
the ribs out. The bottom link goes to a picture that can be blown up
so you can see details. The extractor slides through a collet so it can
be turned with a wrench. I'm going to have to cruse the pawn shops to
see if I can find a used one in good shape before buying a new set. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/aejeuoe

http://preview.tinyurl.com/afpqbt9

TDD