Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grease, wax or ?

I've been making some French screen doors. Each inactive door will have two
flush (recessed) bolts in the door edge, one at top, the other at the
bottom.

The slide on the bolts is held at the open/closed positions by a
detent/socket in the bolt and it's case. The bolt is kept from sliding out
of the detent by a small piece of bent spring steel.

The bolt and case are made of non rusting material but the spring isn't.
Before installing in the door I want to pack something into the bolt case
around the spring to retard rusting. My question is, what would be most
long lasting? Axle grease? Lithium grease? Vaseline? Paste wax? Other?

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:05:03 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

I've been making some French screen doors. Each inactive door will have two
flush (recessed) bolts in the door edge, one at top, the other at the
bottom.

The slide on the bolts is held at the open/closed positions by a
detent/socket in the bolt and it's case. The bolt is kept from sliding out
of the detent by a small piece of bent spring steel.

The bolt and case are made of non rusting material but the spring isn't.
Before installing in the door I want to pack something into the bolt case
around the spring to retard rusting. My question is, what would be most
long lasting? Axle grease? Lithium grease? Vaseline? Paste wax? Other?

My only comment would be to avoid Vaseline. In hot weather
it will run like water.

--
croy

Grease gun zxcvbob Home Repair 15 July 23rd 10 03:33 AM
The right grease Deacon_Man Home Repair 24 February 23rd 10 11:58 PM
Air grease gun [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 10th 06 03:37 PM
Lithium grase + silicone grease vs. axle grease RickyC UK diy 8 February 17th 05 07:59 PM
Grease Boozo Electronics Repair 1 September 8th 03 03:16 PM