Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Twisted extension cord

"Steve B" wrote:

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
.. .
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

The way you store a cord is the secret.

He uses a cord reel that looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Exten...em4d0387 8940

Except that it is yellow instead of orange. Could using this type
of cord reel cause a cord to become VERY twisted in a few years?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
Posted to alt.home.repair

I remember that www.tinypic.com might have free hosting. Typed that by
memory, so I'm probably mistaken.

"Am I my brother's extension cord keeper?"
Paraphrasing Cain. http://bible.cc/genesis/4-9.htm

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message

Here they are
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/cords.jpg

I think my brother's cord is about four times as twisted as the one
on the right. If I take a picture of it, what free photo sharing
site can I use?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. The cat is happy because it thinks that by
sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:31:29 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:
On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:54:04 -0800, Daniel Prince wrote:
The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They only
last two or three years before he has to replace them.

I assume it twists when he wraps it up?

Doubt it.

He twists it up when he starts at one corner of the lawn and mows around and around and around until he gets to the middle.

Every round puts another twist in the cord.

If he starts at one edge, mows back and forth, turn left at one end, then turn right at the other, then he will NOT twist the cord.

The simplest solution is to untwist the cord after every mowing session, but it sounds like this guy ain't all that bright...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 3, 2012 12:15:57 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:
You can see the hand to elbow
technique doesn't work first time you try it. It's fast, that's all.

People who arm-wind cords are the lowest form of life on the planet.

You almost have to purposely reject common sense to get a cord all
twisted up.

Yes, you do. Then you need some expensive overcomplicated contrivance of a contraption that doesn't exist to address a trivial problem that could be easily solved with a slight change in behavior.

Oh, but there are 1000 excuses why he can't just untwist the damn cord before he winds it up. He probably blames the cords, calls them junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Top posting arm winder, reporting!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

People who arm-wind cords are the
lowest form of life on the planet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:36:47 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 04:40:29 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 01:27:49 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

Daniel Prince wrote:

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

I have found some rotating electrical outlets on eBay. If I put one
of them in a box with a short power cord, would it reduce the amount
of twisting? I would make it so that the rotating electrical outlet
would face out rather than up. My brother would plug his extension
cord into the rotating electrical outlet and if we are lucky the
outlet would rotate instead of the cord twisting.

Won't work. The twist is on the ground and will never reach the
rotating outlet. A rotating adapter near the mower cord that hangs
off the ground would work. Haven't seen one.
This is really silly. The only way the cord can be set with a twist
is he doesn't remove the twist when stowing the cord.
It's not rocket science. You have to whip out the loops to get rid of
the twist before stowing.

I have 2 identical cords here, one is mine, one is my wife;'s. Hers is
twisted up so bad it is virtually unusable. She does it by wrapping
around her arm (hand to elbow) then pulling it straight out.

I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine the same way every time and it
looks new.

I wrap my cords around my hand/elbow, but I'm careful to leave the
opposite end straight away from me and unplugged. This allows the end
to turn as I'm 'winding" it up, removing almost all of the twist. I
do hoses in a similar fashion, winding them on the hangar with the
opposite end free to twist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 22:29:50 -0800, Daniel Prince
wrote:

He uses a cord reel that looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Exten...em4d0387 8940

Except that it is yellow instead of orange. Could using this type
of cord reel cause a cord to become VERY twisted in a few years?
--

It will become very twisted if he spools it up by turning the spool
and then just pulls it over the edge of the spool instead of

And also why I do not own any reels, spools, etc, and have no problems with
storage of cordage or electricital cords. The world of home repairs is
awash with gizmos to do things that a lot of people do not have the common
sense or intelligence to do themselves.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

He uses a cord reel that looks like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Exten...em4d0387 8940

Except that it is yellow instead of orange. Could using this type
of cord reel cause a cord to become VERY twisted in a few years?
--

It will become very twisted if he spools it up by turning the spool
and then just pulls it over the edge of the spool instead of
unspooling it.
That is the problem with this type of spool

And also why I do not own any reels, spools, etc, and have no problems with
storage of cordage or electricital cords. The world of home repairs is
awash with gizmos to do things that a lot of people do not have the common
sense or intelligence to do themselves.

Steve

Can't say I have problems with cords, just use a little common sense. I
can't use a cord if I has a knot. I got to untangle others messes.

I got to check out my Xmas light run to back yard. About 200 feet of cheap
cords. The cords remain out all year. Got to check for deer issues. Warm
today, but busy. I usually go for freezing cold, wet, or snowing weather to
check things out.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his
electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They
only last two or three years before he has to replace them.

This is not rocket science. He just needs to observe when and how it got
twisted and undo that move.
But some people prefers to fix old things, and some prefers to buy new ones.
Let him choose.

It seems a little wasteful, but nothing compared to people who buys a new
computer when the old one got infected.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is not rocket science. He just needs to observe when and how it got
twisted and undo that move.
But some people prefers to fix old things, and some prefers to buy new
ones.

Was helping my pastor move. I noticed an almost new 100' extension cord
about as round as your finger in the trash can. Heavy duty. It had a slice
about three feet from one end. "Can I have this?" .......... "Sure." $7
for a repair. Nice cord.

Some people.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

You screwed over a priest? Huh?

A Christian would have put a plug on, and give the cord back.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve B" wrote in message

Was helping my pastor move. I noticed an almost new 100' extension cord
about as round as your finger in the trash can. Heavy duty. It had a slice
about three feet from one end. "Can I have this?" .......... "Sure." $7
for a repair. Nice cord.

Some people.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You screwed over a priest? Huh?

A Christian would have put a plug on, and give the cord back.

Which Christian would that be, Chris? The same one who complains about
letting a fellow Christian into a storeroom at the church, because the
fellow mistakenly assumed that the "master" key didn't fit that
particular lock?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Steve B" wrote in message

Was helping my pastor move. I noticed an almost new 100' extension cord
about as round as your finger in the trash can. Heavy duty. It had a slice
about three feet from one end. "Can I have this?" .......... "Sure." $7
for a repair. Nice cord.

Some people.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Who might that be?

Slightly similar to the Christian who asked some
ideas to know when to help versus decline. I don't
remember reading of anyone complaining about
that kind of thing. You'll have to remind me.
Be specific, please.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You screwed over a priest? Huh?

A Christian would have put a plug on, and give the cord back.

Which Christian would that be, Chris? The same one
who complains about letting a fellow Christian into a
storeroom at the church, because the fellow mistakenly
assumed that the "master" key didn't fit that particular
lock?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Who might that be?

Slightly similar to the Christian who asked some
ideas to know when to help versus decline. I don't
remember reading of anyone complaining about
that kind of thing. You'll have to remind me.
Be specific, please.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I see you as a harmless enough buffoon, Chris, who leads a modestly
miserable life. But your top-posting constitutes a huge "**** YOU" to
everyone else in the room, who have agreed to a workable and logical
bottom-posting convention. It's a passive-aggressive act of violence,
and only one of many examples of your behavior that rarely reflect any
christian values.