Posted to alt.home.repair

Default You CAN get 100 miles per gallon of gas by adding air

[quote]

"The U.S. Department of Energy predicts an increase in fuel consumption
of 3 percent for each 10 psi reduction in tire pressure."

[End Quote]
---

Therefore,

If the normal fuel consumption for your car is 20 mpg, with normal tire
pressure (usually 30 psi), consider the following:

If the tire on your car should have 30 psi (common), and you only have
20 psi, in one of the tires, your fuel consumption will drop to 19.4
mpg.

If the tire psi drops to zero psi, your fuel consumption will drop to
18.2 mpg. and If ALL FOUR tires have zero tire pressure, your fuel
consumption will drop to 12.8 mpg.

-----

Now, lets look at this in reverse.

If your car normally gets 20 mpg, with 30 psi in the tires, then every
10 psi increase of air will increase your fuel milage by 3%.

Consider this example. Raise the tire pressure in all four tires to 63
psi. This will add 10% for each tire, thus a 40% increase in fuel
consumption. Now, you will get 38 mpg. Increase your tire pressure to
70 psi and you will now approximately double your fuel consumption to 40
mpg
..
Quadruple the air pressure to 140 psi, and you should get about 80 mpg
and if you increase the tire pressure to 210 psi, you'll get about 100
miles per gallon.

And while 100mpg is great, why stop there. Lets go for 200 mpg.
Just raise your tire pressure to 420 psi

or 300 mpg
Just raise your tire pressure to 630 psi

Wanna get 500 mpg, raise the tire pressure to 1050 psi.

Drive all the way across the USA one one gallon of gasoline by raising
your tire pressure to around 2800 psi. It's as simple as that!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 30, 10:21*pm, wrote:
[quote]

"The U.S. Department of Energy predicts an increase in fuel consumption
of 3 percent for each 10 psi reduction in tire pressure."

[End Quote]

lmgtfy: http://bit.ly/TxK0jF
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

.
Quadruple the air pressure to 140 psi, and you should get about 80 mpg
and if you increase the tire pressure to 210 psi, you'll get about 100
miles per gallon.

And while 100mpg is great, why stop there. *Lets go for 200 mpg.
Just raise your tire pressure to 420 psi

or 300 mpg
Just raise your tire pressure to 630 psi

Wanna get 500 mpg, raise the tire pressure to 1050 psi.

Drive all the way across the USA one one gallon of gasoline by raising
your tire pressure to around 2800 psi. *It's as simple as that!

Low rolling resistance tyres are available that allegedly knock up to
7% off fuel consumption.
Some of them run at 60psi.
I think they need special wheels though.

A lot of energy is lost through hysterysis in tyres.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_rol...sistance_tires

There are plenty of cars do 70mpg in Europe.
If you go electric, 300mpg+ (equivalent) is available.
Most have low RR tyres.

So the OP is correctish.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:36:38 AM UTC-5, harry wrote:
Low rolling resistance tyres are available that allegedly knock up to
7% off fuel consumption.
Some of them run at 60psi.
I think they need special wheels though.

A lot of energy is lost through hysterysis in tyres.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_rol...sistance_tires

Yeah, but if you're actually going to be serious about the subject, note that this page suggests that only about 15% (max) of fuel consumption is used by rolling resistance, so if you drove around on titanium disks that 20 mpg car would still only get around 23 mpg. At highway speed, it's all about air resistance and engine efficiency.

If you go electric, 300mpg+ (equivalent) is available.

Hmm.. Define "equivalent". Either way, getting any significant portion of the world using electrics would probably only be made possible any time soon by building a bunch of new nuclear plants... Pick your "poison".

Personally, I think our only real hope is some fundamental breakthrough in solar... (With our luck, when they find something, it will be arsenic-based..)

Has anyone done the calculations yet to see if replacing the nuclear plants with wind power will alter the path of the jet-stream enough to destroy the planet?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

I had a pickup that got 400 mpg...

....of oil.
Posted to alt.home.repair

present power plants are sized for peak loads...

mid afternoon at 115 degrees, business output too....

electric rechargable vehicles would tend to be recharged during off
hours, like after 5 pm till 8 am .....

that should be plenty of time to recharge batteries

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 1, 11:55*pm, Larry Fishel wrote:
[...]

Electric cars have high MPG equiv. because they recover energy lost
in ICE cars by regeneration. (Recharging the battery when hills are
descended and braking.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 1:37*am, Red Green wrote:
wrote :

I had a pickup that got 400 mpg...

...of oil.

My last car used insufficient oil so that I never needed top up
between services.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 2, 2:02*am, bob haller wrote:
present power plants are sized for peak loads...

mid afternoon at 115 degrees, business output too....

electric rechargable vehicles would tend to be recharged during off
hours, like after 5 pm till *8 am .....

that should be plenty of time to recharge batteries

Not would...Are.

They can be recharged from a household outlet in Europe where we only
have 230V. More of a problem in some places in America.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote in
:

On Dec 2, 1:37*am, Red Green wrote:
wrote
innews:fbsib8tb0bbapafo3c6f1e335trc8sh0eo@

4ax.com:

I had a pickup that got 400 mpg...

...of oil.

My last car used insufficient oil so that I never needed top up
between services.

I can also make that claim with the pickup. Services???? Yea, right. "Make
it purr Gomer. And make sure you use Mobil 1".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 21:43:06 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

I had a pickup that got 400 mpg...

...of oil.

My last car used insufficient oil so that I never needed top up
between services.

I can also make that claim with the pickup. Services???? Yea, right. "Make
it purr Gomer. And make sure you use Mobil 1".

I got 20 years of lawn mowing with just over ONE quart of oil.

Ran the thing until it burped, then sold it for $10.00.

Remember gas station bulk oil in a glass jar for $0.15? It kept the
leakers running for many days, a quart or two at the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 1, 2012 9:02:42 PM UTC-5, bob haller wrote:
electric rechargable vehicles would tend to be recharged during off
hours, like after 5 pm till 8 am .....
that should be plenty of time to recharge batteries

And my point was that that works as long as very few people have them. If there were one charging in even half the houses in the U.S., 5pm-8am would no longer be "off hours".

And even if you didn't have to build more plants, using more electricity during "off hours" still means more fuel rods used up and needing to be disposed of.