Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Liftmaster Problems

Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is erratic. No problems
with the button in the garage but using the remote is problematic. I have a
spare that was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up. Is
there anything I can check for obvious failure?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Look for small antenna, at the receiver. Look for loose wires. Those do take
some vibration.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is erratic. No
problems
with the button in the garage but using the remote is problematic. I have a
spare that was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and
fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up.
Is
there anything I can check for obvious failure?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message
Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is erratic. No
problems
with the button in the garage but using the remote is problematic. I have a
spare that was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and
fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up.
Is
there anything I can check for obvious failure?

The antenna wire is coiled. I stretched it out a bit but thought that maybe it
has a particular configuration for a reason besides that of just not hanging
around and possibly in the way
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 26, 2:44*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up.

Or "checked out as virtually new and fully charged" batteries are not
the equivalent of "literally new".

Did you try them in a flashlight, put a little load on them?
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:44:55 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is erratic. No problems
with the button in the garage but using the remote is problematic. I have a
spare that was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up. Is
there anything I can check for obvious failure?

http://www.bearcatco.com/helpgifs/li...eshooting.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and
fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw
up.

Or "checked out as virtually new and fully charged" batteries are not
the equivalent of "literally new".

Did you try them in a flashlight, put a little load on them?
-----

- gpsman

I took them to a Battery Store which checked them on their device. As it would
have been in their best interest to either sell me a battery or make me a
recurring customer, I believed their results
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, November 26, 2012 12:44:53 PM UTC-7, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is
erratic. No problems with the button in the garage but
using the remote is problematic. I have a spare that
was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought
the batteries might have died, but they were checked out
as virtually new and fully charged. So I suppose the
only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up.
Is there anything I can check for obvious failure?

Were the batteries checked out under load, such as by holding
down the remote button while measuring its voltage? No-load
battery voltage can be misleading, and I wouldn't expect a
4-year-old battery to stil be OK unless it's a lithium type,
especially if the remote's button doesn't actually connect
and disconnect the power (in other words, the remote always
draws a tiny amount of power).

Before working on the opener, unplug its AC power because
you don't want to get shocked or have the opener start
unexpectedly and grab your hair or a sleeve or chop off
a finger. I'm serious. There's a big capacitor for the
motor; it's about 30mm - 50mm in diameter and 60mm - 120mm
long that can hold a high voltage charge even after the AC
is unplugged, so don't touch it. Discharge it by touching
both of its contacts with a plastic-handled screwdriver,
making sure to not touch the metal screwdriver shaft.

Openers vibrate a lot, so maybe the antenna wire's solder joint
at the circuit board has cracked, or the wire may have cracked
inside its insulation, just beyond the joint. If you replace
the antenna, use a piece of wire the same length as the original,
and if it's coiled up, wind the wire the same way -- same size, length, and number of turns because those factors actually tune
the antenna. Because of vibration, it might be a good idea to
check all the solder joints for cracks with a magnifying glass
and flashlight. Cracks are most likely to develop around heavy components (I don't think there are any in the radio receiver section) and connectors. Solder cracks can be nearly microscopic.

I remember Liftmaster openers having 2 circuit boards
connected together with pin sockets whose contacts can
oxidize or work loose, so consider unplugging and replugging
them a few times to clean them. Be careful to not any bend
pins or reinsert them into the wrong holes.

Liftmaster is also sold as Chamberlain and Sears Kenmore,
and it's possible you'll find more information under those
names.

If the radio circuitry is bad, either replace the circuit board,
or get a new radio that attaches to the button on the wall. If
you do the latter, cut off the antenna of the opener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is erratic. No problems
with the button in the garage but using the remote is problematic. I have a
spare that was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up. Is
there anything I can check for obvious failure?

http://www.bearcatco.com/helpgifs/li...eshooting.html

Hi,
I'd just try a new fresh bayyery and also antenna on the opener.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Who can tell? Should work about the same.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" wrote in message

The antenna wire is coiled. I stretched it out a bit but thought that maybe
it
has a particular configuration for a reason besides that of just not hanging
around and possibly in the way

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is erratic. No problems
with the button in the garage but using the remote is problematic. I have a
spare that was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up. Is
there anything I can check for obvious failure?

http://www.bearcatco.com/helpgifs/li...eshooting.html

Hi,
I'd just try a new fresh battery and check the antenna on the opener.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have had it for almost 4 years but recently operation is erratic. No problems
with the button in the garage but using the remote is problematic. I have a
spare that was never used and it gave the same results, so I thought the
batteries might have died, but they were checked out as virtually new and fully
charged.

So I suppose the only conclusion is that the opener is starting to screw up. Is
there anything I can check for obvious failure?

http://www.bearcatco.com/helpgifs/li...eshooting.html

Hi,
I'd just try a new fresh battery and check the antenna on the opener.- Hide quoted text -

All the assumptions have been that the receiver is actually on the
motor/lift assembly.

But, some openers have a separate receiver that closes contacts just
like when the wall switch/button is pushed. The OP did not say which
he had.

Also, no matter what type of receiver, try several configurations/
arrangements of the receiving antennna. Start out with the
transmitter close by, walk away until the receiver no longer responds,
and stay at that point while someone else rearranges the receiver
antenna and see if reception is now better. If not, try a couple more
antenna arrangements before restoring the antenna to its original
shape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"hr(bob) " wrote:

[...]

I just went out and placed the backup remote almost touching the antenna wire,
I also pushed both small buttons separately, then touched the large button and
voila, the door works. Went out to the vehicle and it worked from there. Tried
the primary one and it works also. I'm suspecting some form of mechanical
constipation, but since at least for now everything is working I'm going to
leave it at that.

Thanks everyone