Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing machines: any routine maint. I should do?++

It's working fine, but I wonder if there is something like a 30,000 miles checkup I should do? It's 10 years old and does about 3 loads a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tweeny,

Look in the owner's manual. The only routine maintenance I do is to check
and adjust the drivebelt tension every few years.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 25, 2:23*pm, "David L. Martel" wrote:
Tweeny,

* *Look in the owner's manual. The only routine maintenance I do is to check
and adjust the drivebelt tension every few years.

Dave M.

check all hoses for leaks and supply lines for bubbles in the outer
cover.....
Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

wrote in message
It's working fine, but I wonder if there is something like a 30,000 miles
checkup I should do? It's 10 years old and does about 3 loads a week.

Only thing I would do is replace the rubber water hoses with burst-proof
hoses so you don't get flood damage when you're away from home. Other than
that, there really isn't anything to maintain. Just wait for the nuisance
repairs that are usually very inexpensive to repair if you do it
yourself...lid switch, motor coupling, water valve, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
It's working fine, but I wonder if there is something like a 30,000 miles
checkup I should do? It's 10 years old and does about 3 loads a week.

Yes there is maintenance you should do, especially being 10 yrs old.

Start by pouring a quart of 10w30 in, now don't put clothes in with it. Run
it for a full cycle, this will lube everything, which needs to be oiled.
Now it's ready for a load of clothes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Strange. That's not in my manual.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Kirby" wrote in message

Yes there is maintenance you should do, especially being 10 yrs old.

Start by pouring a quart of 10w30 in, now don't put clothes in with it. Run
it for a full cycle, this will lube everything, which needs to be oiled.
Now it's ready for a load of clothes.

Senior Member

Actually, if you have rubber water supply hoses on your washing machine it's a good idea to replace them with braided stainless steel hoses, which you can buy at any appliance parts sto

That's because when washer supply hoses do burst, the cause is usually because the hose had been rubbing on a piece of sharp metal on the back of the washer, and it eventually cut through the cotton braiding inside the hose wall. Stainless steel is much harder than the mild steel the washing machine panels are made of, and so if a braided stainless steel hose rubs on sharp mild steel, the mild steel will get dull rather than the hose get cut.

Every appliance manufacturer will tell you to shut off the water to your washer whenever it's not in use, but who does that? Most people will shut the water off to their washer before they go on vacation, but that's about it. Having braided stainless steel supply hoses makes the likelihood of coming home to a flooded basement cuz the washer supply hose burst very much less likely.

Last edited by nestork : November 26th 12 at 12:24 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:54:19 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

It's working fine, but I wonder if there is something like a 30,000 miles checkup I should do? It's 10 years old and does about 3 loads a week.

Fix it when it when it breaks. Not one second before hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's working fine, but I wonder if there is something like a 30,000 miles checkup I should do? It's 10 years old and does about 3 loads a week.

Fix it when it when it breaks. Not one second before hand.

There's an interesting story from MSN Money about dying industries. It
states that people are replacing major appliances when they fail instead
of having them repaired. O_o

http://money.msn.com/how-to-invest/5...ing-industries

http://tinyurl.com/c5sxpf8

TDD

Sounds like a good reason to invest in Hot sauce.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's working fine, but I wonder if there is something like a 30,000 miles checkup I should do? It's 10 years old and does about 3 loads a week.

Fix it when it when it breaks. Not one second before hand.

There's an interesting story from MSN Money about dying industries. It
states that people are replacing major appliances when they fail instead
of having them repaired. O_o

http://money.msn.com/how-to-invest/5...ing-industries

http://tinyurl.com/c5sxpf8

TDD

Sounds like a good reason to invest in Hot sauce.

I run screaming from spicy hot foods, I absolutely can't eat them. I
suppose it may have something to do with being a super taster. When
I was a kid there were certain foods that made me retch. I could not
eat them no matter what. One of the foods was coleslaw that contained
carrots and mayo. Something about that combination was toxic to me for
some reason. Of course I can eat it now but I've never been able to
handle hot anything. Jalapeño peppers strung around your neck would have
the same effect on me as a garlic necklace to ward off vampires.
I have a little brother who could eat his way out of a dungeon made of
peppers, I would simply starve to death. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

nestork wrote:

Every appliance manufacturer will tell you to shut off the water to
your washer whenever it's not in use, but who does that? Most people
will shut the water off to their washer before they go on vacation,
but that's about it. Having braided stainless steel supply hoses
makes the likelihood of coming home to a flooded basement cuz the
washer supply hose burst very much less likely.

Of course that's a good idea but, as you said, who does it? Maybe if
shutting off the water was easier ...

Faucets are available that are quarter-turn which should make the safety
step easier, but even then there are problems.

I've got a washer and a dryer that are front-loaders*. Both are, moreover,
on pedestals ! I can't even SEE the faucets, let alone reach the to adjust
their status.

So, I'm with you on the braided, stainless steel, hoses.

As for maintenance on the rest of the machine, do like you do on your
automobile tires: Run 'em 'til they blow.

----
* Retail price on the pair, including pedestals, is in excess of $2400 and
change. I got these two, used, for a total of $350. I'm willing to share the
process by which stuff like this - and the prices - can be had.

I can't say enough good things about these front-loaders: Obviously they use
less water, but they take bigger loads, the washer takes just a pinch of
detergent, they get the clothes much cleaner (according to my current
squeeze), dry without wrinkling, and more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Faucets are available that are quarter-turn which should make the safety
step easier, but even then there are problems.

I've got a washer and a dryer that are front-loaders*. Both are, moreover,
on pedestals ! I can't even SEE the faucets, let alone reach the to adjust
their status.

So, I'm with you on the braided, stainless steel, hoses.

As for maintenance on the rest of the machine, do like you do on your
automobile tires: Run 'em 'til they blow.

I saw something on one of the TV home shows that was a valve you could put
on and it would let the normal flow to the washer go ok, but if a hose
broke, the valve would not open.

For tires, they do need maintenance. The air pressure needs to be checked
and they should be rotated every 5000 or so miles. Last set I bought was at
a place that rotates them for free.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2012 9:06 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

I run screaming from spicy hot foods, I absolutely can't eat them. I
suppose it may have something to do with being a super taster. When
I was a kid there were certain foods that made me retch.

I have a similar condition, and have to avoid spicy foods, as well as
certain fruits and vegetables.

It led to a lot of abuse as a child.

[snip]

TDD

--
29 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"In all ages hypocrites, called priests, have put crowns upon the heads
of thieves, called kings." [Robert G. Ingersoll]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/26/2012 10:55 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/25/2012 9:06 PM, Oren wrote:

[snip]

I run screaming from spicy hot foods, I absolutely can't eat them. I
suppose it may have something to do with being a super taster. When
I was a kid there were certain foods that made me retch.

I have a similar condition, and have to avoid spicy foods, as well as
certain fruits and vegetables.

It led to a lot of abuse as a child.

When I was in the first grade, coleslaw was served at lunch one day and
I refused to touch it. My first grade teacher, Sister Godzilla, dragged
me in front of the class, squeezed my mouth open and shoved the vile
concoction into my mouth, I threw up. That would get a teacher locked up
these days. You didn't tell your parents that the nuns hurt or abused
you because it was always your fault and you would get it worse at home.
I don't like people who abuse little kids. I've been known to body slam
a few adults for it. O_o

TDD

ISE washing machines Lino expert UK diy 0 November 22nd 08 01:15 PM
Washing Machines elziko UK diy 15 September 12th 06 09:13 AM
Washing machines that are built like commercial machines? Ignoramus22440 Metalworking 50 May 8th 06 05:38 AM
Washing machines that are built like commercial machines? Ignoramus22440 Home Repair 38 May 8th 06 05:38 AM
Washing machines MG UK diy 3 September 22nd 05 05:00 PM